1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Expansion

Discussion in 'MLB Baseball Forum' started by Mike A. S., Jan 25, 2017.

1. BritishDolfan

BritishDolfan Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I suspect a lot of the issue with Montreal would be actually getting a decent stadium built in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 78Cyclones

78Cyclones Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Yep! I went to see the Reds play the Blue Jays in Olympic Stadium a few years back. Of course, I saw the Expos play there too back in the day! I know Olympic Stadium is an eye-sore to many, but I love the old place. That being said, a new stadium with a retractable roof will be needed for long term success in Montreal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnU

JohnU Aristocratic Hoosier

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

You can sell out an exhibition game in Montreal in March when the winter sucked donkey balls. You can't project it out more than that, so trying is not based on reality.
    I hear over and over again about who got the blame in Montreal the last time but the truth is, a ticket is a ticket and a game is a game. People can bitch about the ballpark or the owner or whatever but the Expos didn't draw crap and using a one-a-year exhibition game as prove they love baseball is a stretch.
    They build a ballpark and they might get a team but nobody is looking at one exhibition game, licking their lips over that. Attendance is a small part of a team's success. Montreal is not a major market for MLB. It just ... ain't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. calsnowskier

calsnowskier Sarcastic F-wad

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 2,619

Didn’t the Expos have a historically bad tv deal? I think they didn’t even have English tv??? Add that to a craptastic ark, and they are completely set up for failure.

I know nothing about the Montreal culture, but it is pretty major city and area, isn’t it? Even if baseball is not a major love for the area, I think if it is handled properly (as opposed to how the Expos were handled) it can be successful.

5. The Q

The Q KFFL's GOAT

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Challenge accepted.

Time to set up the gofundme.