• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MJ Kobe Lebron?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Lebron is from a completely different era.

When the past greats were coming up, there was no social media, no AAU, the McDonald's All American game hadn't even been around that long.

Most of those guys while they'd heard of each other, they never met until they got to the NBA and played against each other. So they never really got to be friends until they were well into their NBA careers.

These days, many of them become friends playing in AAU and seeing each other on social media, etc. So they're more likely to come into the NBA already friends.
and Bird who of course never would have been friendly with the opponent seemed friendly with MJ after losing to him as coach of Indiana in Game 7.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats fair, and it applies to many sports.

My point remains. No one (aside from Cavs, lakers, heat fans) tuned in to watch lebron. I didnt. Never did.
But i did for mj.
no one turned in to watch Lebron? seriously? You thinking Kevin Love was the reason the Cavs were on National TV so much.

sorry, @Wamu .....but that did seem fitting.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here goes TMac again. x50
@dtgold88 the half tard

Pippen & McGrady Think Michael Jordan Is Absolute GOAT & LeBron's Out Of Conversation | The Jump

and here you are at full blown irrational ignoring TMac saying he'd pick Lebron over MJ. as some have told you....these answers will change by the day for them.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one turned in to watch Lebron? seriously? You thinking Kevin Love was the reason the Cavs were on National TV so much.

Didn't I tell you? I now have Kevin Love in my all time starting 5.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Bird who of course never would have been friendly with the opponent seemed friendly with MJ after losing to him as coach of Indiana in Game 7.

I think the 2 opponents MJ had the utmost respect for were Bird & Magic. And I'm guessing their friendship grew as members of the Dream Team. MJ, Bird & Magic were on a level that most NBAers weren't.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley
Jordan
Magic/Bird
Kobe
Curry
Wilt
Dr J
K Malone
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Robinson
Stockton
Lebron

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm getting sick of those uppity blacks complaining about racism. Slavery ended like 155 years ago, amirite?
Why so uppity? Why stealing so many 65 inch TV's?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is a much more efficient scorer, way better passer, better defender.

And although Kobe is a better shooter, LeBron has a higher 3point %.

Kobe is a better clutch shooter and FT shooter that's about it.
Lebron better in clutch as well. At least in the playoffs (Kobe was better in reg. season....but thinking clutch might matter more in playoffs)...

Who has the edge? Statistics help break down Kobe vs. LeBron debate | NBA.com

"If you ever want to aggravate a serious basketball analyst -- which, to be clear, we don't claim to be -- bring up the term "clutch." They'll argue to the death that there's no such thing, that the ability to consistently raise one's performance in important, end-of-game moments is largely a myth conjured around random outcomes over incredibly small sample sizes.

Just how small? In 1,566 career games, including the postseason, Bryant was called on to shoot for the lead in the final five seconds of regulation or overtime just 77 times -- 4.9 percent. For James, it's 73 out of 1,480 -- also 4.9 percent. In other words, these are extremely isolated opportunities that, given the fact that everybody in the arena knows who's getting the ball, don't exactly lend themselves to consistent success.

Indeed, just look at these percentages on such shots:

Postseason FGs FGAs FG % 3pts 3ptAs 3pt %
Bryant 3 13 23.1 0 3 0.0
James 8 16 50.0 2 3 66.7

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For their careers LeBron averages more pts, rebs, asts, stls, blks, has a better FG % and a better 3 pt %. So how exactly is Kobe better when the stats say otherwise?
I'll take your word for it for now, but there are a lot of reasons why sometimes worse players acquire better stats than better players.

It also sounds like you are averaging in Kobe at the end of his career which would be an egregious error on your part. I hope you didn't stoop to that. Your credibility and worth and all.

With all that out of the way, your very simplistic evaluation neglected to consider that Lebron got most of his stats in the weak East while Kobe played in the stacked West.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 2 opponents MJ had the utmost respect for were Bird & Magic. And I'm guessing their friendship grew as members of the Dream Team. MJ, Bird & Magic were on a level that most NBAers weren't.
I also believe MJ might have joined any of them to stick it to Krause if their team could pay him. Maybe Ewing and the Knicks, too.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take your word for it for now, but there are a lot of reasons why sometimes worse players acquire better stats than better players.

agree....when elite players are selfish and take more shots they have a better chance to score more points even though they make those shots at a lesser rate.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It also sounds like you are averaging in Kobe at the end of his career which would be an egregious error on your part. I hope you didn't stoop to that. Your credibility and worth and all.

With all that out of the way, your very simplistic evaluation neglected to consider that Lebron got most of his stats in the weak East while Kobe played in the stacked West.

Through the same amount of games or the same age, Lebron had better stats...

Lebron's got 1258 games, and Kobe as of the end of 2014 had 1245 games....and at those points:

Kobe - 25.5 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 4.8 APG, .454 FG%, 0.5 BPG, 1.5 SPG
LBJ --- 27.1 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 7.4 APG, .504 FG%, 0.8 BPG, 1.6 SPG

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that is quite a few more defensive teams but it doesn't mean Kobe was the better defender, even though 12 - 5 is quite a big difference. Even just from the eye test whether one is better than the other defensively....it was close. I would say Lebron has let off some in the regular season the past couple years, Kobe did it for years too towards the back of his career. I would say peak years, it's close - wouldn't sway one way or the other. I feel if it wasn't for Dwight Howard, Lebron could have 1 or maybe 2 DPOY awards. He was that great in his peak defensively, just like Kobe.

It's really 9 first team all defense selections for Kobe, but he got a lot of them by reputation.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree....when elite players are selfish and take more shots they have a better chance to score more points even though they make those shots at a lesser rate.

I don't think it's a straight apples to apples comparison because Kobe was a shooting guard and LeBron is a SF, but if you consider that Kobe had Shaq with him so many years, his efficiency should have better in those years.

Honestly, I think Durant vs Kobe is a better comparison.

And I respect Kobe too. He's my generation, so I saw his whole career, but a half-level below LeBron.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i dont think many people tuned in to strictly "watch lebron". its just the game that was on TV. if people dont like lebron, they wont watch.

I hated MJ, but still watched. i did that. i tuned in to see what MJ would do. i never have for lebron. thats just me tho.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"it also sounds like you are averaging in Kobe at the end of his career"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L:L

It's funny that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Two years ago after LeBron's 15th year in the league I added up all his stats. And for Kobe I only went to his 15th year. You really think things have changed that much in 2 seasons? Here are LeBron & Kobe's stats side by side for the 16th & 17th years.

16th year

LeBron- 27.4 ppg, 8.5 rebs, 8.3 asts 1.3 stls (.510 FG % and .339 3 pt %)
Kobe- 27.9, 5.4, 4.6, 1.2 (.430 & .303)

17th year

LeBron- 25.7, 7.9, 10.6 (league leading), 1.2 (.498 & .349)
Kobe- 27.3, 5.6, 6.0, 1.4 (.463 & .324)

I'm taking my personal feeling for both outta this.The only Laker I ever liked was Magic. The rest are jackasses. And speaking of jackasses that's a good word to describe LeBron's league related idiotic comments & statements over his career. And WTF is with his hair? He needs to stop that. So I'm not a real fan of either. I'm going strickly by the stats. And the stats in fact say LeBron has better numbers across the board.