• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota Vikings @ Denver Broncos

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few weeks back there was some discussion about the Vikes vs Denver matchup (prob the OP was regarding Denvers season opponents, game by game ) and I posted the Bronco/Vikes all time series with each other. In 99% of the gms they've played, the gms have been decided by 6 pts or less with most of them decided by 3 pts or less. I think, with out cking,the Vikes lead the series by a decent margin. Minnesota has always been a pain in Denver`s arse and I expect this game to be no different. With Denver`s O-line struggles so far and the possibility of no Ty at Lt tackle, Vikes D has the potential to cause some big probs. I think our D should handle AP pretty well and cause TB to make some mistakes as well. I can very well see this game following the pattern of all their past gms as well and end up being a very close game. Denver 26 - 23 OT

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so just quickly watched the 3 Vikings games up to this point. A few observations.

Defensively they are very very solid. Good against the run and the pass both. They bring a ton of pressure and love to blitz. Rivers had the Vikings in his face all game long. Because they blitz a ton though some of the best plays the Chargers ran was some quick screens (hey guess which team loves to run these the most!! Us) and the quick slant pattern. These are two that Manning loves to run. I see us keeping Manning once again in the shot gun so he can quickly diagnose the defense and have a bit more time to make a good throw.

Run game wise they are susceptible at the edges. I was very surprised with the speed of the defense that they struggled with this but the DE's are looking to make big plays so they seem to love to crash inside leaving the outside very open. I would love to see Ronnie Hillman get some quick tosses and see what he can do.

Offensively the Vikings honestly are pretty limited. Obviously AP is a huge weapon and well he definitely makes some plays out of nothing. Gang tackling will be huge. Bridgewater though just does not look right at this point in the season. He is missing guys by 5-10 yards in every single game. His deep ball doesn't look any better than Manning. Essentially their passing game consists of quick slants, comebacks, and the 5-yard out pattern. All of these lend themselves to our aggressive defense making some big plays hopefully in the turnover department.

To me this looks like another possible low scoring game. We have to protect the football and defensively just have to keep doing what we have been doing and be very sound tacklers in this one.

Just another quick observation in that the Right side of their OL is down right terrible. With this being a home game for us and the crowd being into it I could see Von Miller having a ridiculous day.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some last thoughts before tomorrow's game...Really this is gearing up to be a huge defensive match up. Right now the Vikings are possibly the worst offense we have played to date. They are barely ranked above the Broncos in yards per game and points per game is not looking too great either. Right now they are the worst team passing yards wise in the league averaging under 150 a game. So now going against the Broncos with possibly what looks like their 2nd and 3rd string WR out for this game it does allow the Broncos to be much more aggressive in stopping the run. With this being an away game and having AP I think we all know that the Vikings will lean heavily on the run game as it is the 3rd ranked run game in the league right now.

Defensively though this is where the Vikings have leaned to win their games just like us. Yards per game they are not the greatest by any means but points per game they are not far behind us ranking right now 5th in the league.

Really this game could come down to turnovers with the Broncos ranked 2nd in the league right now and the Vikings ranked 6th in the league for turnovers. Hillman better be ready to hold onto that football with both hands as Minnesota loves to rip at the ball.

Anyway pretty easy game plan in my opinion for the Broncos...Stop the run game and force Teddy Bridgewater to beat us. The offense protect Peyton and don't turn the ball over. Easier said than done on the offensive side of the ball but I actually do like the switch of Ryan Harris at LT. I think honestly he will be an upgrade at this time over Sambrailo as he has really been struggling through these first few games. The RT spot though with Schofield is where I would bet the Vikings will look to attack big time.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping to see some screen/swing passes to Hillman to a) slow down the pass rush, b) give him some room to make plays in the open field, and c) get me some much-needed fantasy points.

/thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping to see some screen/swing passes to Hillman to a) slow down the pass rush, b) give him some room to make plays in the open field, and c) get me some much-needed fantasy points.

/thread

I wouldn't mind them trying that one bit. I hate that we haven't gotten the RB's more involved in the pass game. With teams sending the house more often than usual it just seems like a great way to catch a team in a bad situation and get our guys out in front with open field for Hillman or whoever. I honestly do think Hillman is our best bet to have any kind of run game in this one as his speed can break through that first line again taking advantage of them being overly aggressive.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE"cdumler7, post: 7304837, member: 5773"]I wouldn't mind them trying that one bit. I hate that we haven't gotten the RB's more involved in the pass game. With teams sending the house more often than usual it just seems like a great way to catch a team in a bad situation and get our guys out in front with open field for Hillman or whoever. I honestly do think Hillman is our best bet to have any kind of run game in this one as his speed can break through that first line again taking advantage of them being overly aggressive.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I was thinking. On a side note, I would like to point out that he is also pretty good up the middle in a crowd for such a small back. He just slips around all those larger players. Draw plays could have some of the same effect on the defense and could result in some big plays for Hillman or CJ or whoever.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no need to fear.

I don't know exactly what it is about this Bronco season, but - the best I can describe it - I feel sanguine about the Bronco's chances of winning - any game. i think it is because they do have Elway's desired "Scratch and Claw" to how they play the game. In the recent - great seasons - as the fan - I felt I had to supply the 'scratch and claw."

I'm expecting the Bronco offense to set up - that's how it works on teams with character. Hillman out of the pistol - could be a very dangerous weapon.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
misdirection will wear a D down in the 4th Quarter at a mile high us it.

primetime714

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like the offense in this one. The OL probably has another tough week. The question is does it result in some costly turnovers that will decide the game? I think the defense that makes the bigger plays probably wins this one. Luckily our D has stepped up to that challenge in all 3 games so far this year.

primetime714

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run game wise they are susceptible at the edges. I was very surprised with the speed of the defense that they struggled with this but the DE's are looking to make big plays so they seem to love to crash inside leaving the outside very open. I would love to see Ronnie Hillman get some quick tosses and see what he can do.

Nice call, first one he gets goes to the house.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no need to fear.

I don't know exactly what it is about this Bronco season, but - the best I can describe it - I feel sanguine about the Bronco's chances of winning - any game. i think it is because they do have Elway's desired "Scratch and Claw" to how they play the game. In the recent - great seasons - as the fan - I felt I had to supply the 'scratch and claw."

I'm expecting the Bronco offense to set up - that's how it works on teams with character. Hillman out of the pistol - could be a very dangerous weapon.

I feared.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I though Talib and Harris struggled more then nromal today but Ill take it over most CB's in the NFL. Ware not his best game either, but Miller and TJ Ward really came up huge for us when needed. Pass rush was very good. Not saying Ware was awful but he had some penalties today that made me feel perhaps he mentally wasn't himself today.

Overall great win.. Anytime you win in the NFL and go to 4-0 you are doing something right. :)

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I thought it would be a close game, just not as close as it was. Props to the Broncos for pulling out the win. Woooooo!! 4-0, can't be better than that.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I though Talib and Harris struggled more then nromal today but Ill take it over most CB's in the NFL. Ware not his best game either, but Miller and TJ Ward really came up huge for us when needed. Pass rush was very good. Not saying Ware was awful but he had some penalties today that made me feel perhaps he mentally wasn't himself today.

Overall great win.. Anytime you win in the NFL and go to 4-0 you are doing something right. :)
Wow DC I thought Ware played great. IDK?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater out played Manning . He looked very good .
Hillman ran well . CJ I assume is injured because he went down way too easy and left many yards out there on the field.

We keep seeing the Manning of old and an old Manning. Even Manning doesn't know from throw to throw which one shows up. The D went back into JDR mode on several 3rd and long. 2 illegal formation penalties helped stop drives.

Overall , Minny was the best team we have faced this year. Two really bad Manning turnovers made the game close. A great win against a quality opponent.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater out played Manning . He looked very good .
Hillman ran well . CJ I assume is injured because he went down way too easy and left many yards out there on the field.

We keep seeing the Manning of old and an old Manning. Even Manning doesn't know from throw to throw which one shows up. The D went back into JDR mode on several 3rd and long. 2 illegal formation penalties helped stop drives.

Overall , Minny was the best team we have faced this year. Two really bad Manning turnovers made the game close. A great win against a quality opponent.

Had to mention J.D.R. but true.

DenBronc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running game looked better today. Not sure if Sambrailo should come back as starter because Harris played well against Griffen, and Schofield did good as well. Ty wasn't supposed to play LT this year, anyway.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow DC I thought Ware played great. IDK?

Not saying he played bad. Just felt mentally he was a little off today with his penalties. He was killing it the first 3 weeks. Ill take his play today over most pass rushers in the NFL but 3 Penalties in one game just kills me, but that is just me.

I thought Von had a great 4th quarter.

TJ Ward also had a very nice game for us. 2 sacks, the strip. Covered Rudolph well. I thought he was our best DB yesterday.

Overall Ill take the entire D, shut my mouth and be happy. Another great game...

My only beef might be the coaching, we had our DB's play off and didn't play their strengths, and that hurt us a few times, but we won the game and that is all that matters.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so have to give my weekly interesting stats.

5 of the 7 Super Bowls the Broncos have been to started with the team going 4-0. The Broncos have started 4-0 8 times with only 2009 being the one time we did not make the playoffs (The good ol' McDaniels year where we started 6-0 to then go 2-8 the rest of the season).

The Broncos lead the league in sacks right now with 18. Since 2002 only 2 other teams have had 18 sacks through the first 4 games of the season with those being the 2013 Chiefs and the 2004 Eagles.

I think Randymon had pointed this out but the last 9 times the Broncos/Vikings have played the game has been decided by 8 points or less so it makes sense this one would follow suit.

7 different Bronco players had at least half a sack in this last game: Ward, Ware, Miller, Williams, Ray, Nelson, and Jackson

Our 7 sacks in this game was the most in 1 game for the Broncos since 1996.

The Broncos defense has an Overall Grade on PFF of +70.4. The next closest is the Rams with a +42. This is why the Broncos should be competitive all year long in this defense will keep them in games when the offense is stinking up the joint.

The Broncos also have not allowed a single 1st Quarter point yet. Only team in the league to boast that stat.

Not really a stat but Derek Wolfe returns now to this already great defense!

According to PFF the highest rated Broncos for yesterday's game were Brandon Marshall with a +5.9, Von Miller with a +4.4, Darian Stewart at +2.3, Ware at a +2.2, and Colquitt with a +2.0

For the first time all year the run game looked pretty darn decent. I actually thought the OL finally opened some very good holes but unfortunately especially CJ Anderson kept getting arm tackled which is something that didn't happen last year.