• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota #1? Why not?!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go 36:25 into the video, but he's tossing the Gophers some major props.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of you ramblings about Minnesota rankings is a long way from #1
Did you even read the OP and my first response in the thread?

First of all, I never claimed they should be #1 in the country. I only claimed that it was ridiculous UMn wasn't ranked after week 2 or 3 while dominating the stats. Now the computer rankings have them as a consensus Top Ten team and that they should be seen as the top contender to win the West Division.

Second, starting so far down the rankings pre-season, it's going to take time to get to #1. First they have to take care of the teams they should beat, then the away game at PSU will be their final test before the Conf Title game. And it won't matter if they beat PSU or not, because going into the Conf Title game at 11-1 or 12-0, if they beat Top 1-4 ranked OSU/Mich/PSU for the B1G Title, they will move up into the Top 4 and make the cfp, and if they can win 12-13 games going in, with wins over the B1G East Champ and possibly PSU as well, there is no reason to believe they won't be able to also beat whoever is #1 by that time, as Bama needed the refs help to beat unranked Texas by a single point and Georgia allowed a MAC team to score 22 on them.

NOT predicting it will happen, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First of all, I never claimed they should be #1 in the country. I only claimed that it was ridiculous UMn wasn't ranked after week 2 or 3 while dominating the stats. Now the computer rankings have them as a consensus Top Ten team and that they should be seen as the top contender to win the West Division.

Second, starting so far down the rankings pre-season, it's going to take time to get to #1. First they have to take care of the teams they should beat, then the away game at PSU will be their final test before the Conf Title game. And it won't matter if they beat PSU or not, because going into the Conf Title game at 11-1 or 12-0, if they beat Top 1-4 ranked OSU/Mich/PSU for the B1G Title, they will move up into the Top 4 and make the cfp, and if they can win 12-13 games going in, with wins over the B1G East Champ and possibly PSU as well, there is no reason to believe they won't be able to also beat whoever is #1 by that time, as Bama needed the refs help to beat unranked Texas by a single point and Georgia allowed a MAC team to score 22 on them.

NOT predicting it will happen, just saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

So we just ignore this.

"Minnesota #1? Why not?!"

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we just ignore this.

No, don't ignore it. Not if you are smart. Any team that can go from being ranked in the 30s-60s in the various polls to start the season to being a consensus Top Ten team in the computer polls and 21/23 in the AP and Coaches poll, in just 4 weeks should be paid attention to.

Who is going to beat them in the West Division?

So when they do win the West Division, if they can do it losing either 1 or zero games, they will absolutely be in the who's #1 conversation!!! Only if they lose 2 games and still win the Division will the Conf Title game not matter regarding the cfp.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we just ignore this.

If you wanna great laugh go to the- minnesota rules the world of football thread. Comment # 268 is a doozy.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, don't ignore it. Not if you are smart. Any team that can go from being ranked in the 30s-60s in the various polls to start the season to being a consensus Top Ten team in the computer polls and 21/23 in the AP and Coaches poll, in just 4 weeks should be paid attention to.

Who is going to beat them in the West Division?

So when they do win the West Division, if they can do it losing either 1 or zero games, they will absolutely be in the who's #1 conversation!!! Only if they lose 2 games and still win the Division will the Conf Title game not matter regarding the cfp.
IMO had you just stated the Gophers should be rank rather than asking about being #1 you would've gotten support.

I know I wouldn't have taken exception to the idea.

Remember, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO had you just stated the Gophers should be rank rather than asking about being #1 you would've gotten support.

I know I wouldn't have taken exception to the idea.

Remember, it's not what you say, it's how you say it.
Is that what you think I want? You think I want support? lol I love being the only one who knew, or knows that my team is legit. It's SO much more fun when a good number of people in here become more and more stubborn in their opposition to me and what I say about the Gophers. lol

Also, if you knew anything about marketing, online it's all about the # of clicks, and so headlines far more often than not exaggerate things or say one thing to get people's attention only to talk about something else in the article or post. News shows do this constantly, How often have you seen the word "alert" in a news headline? Youtubers do it all the time, mainstream media does it. News columnists do it as well. They often say controversial things for the sole purpose of pissing off the readers because that is what gets more clicks.

Would you rather be the guy who bet on the favorite to win, maybe doubling your money, or would you rather be the guy who put their money on say, maybe, the Twins the year they went from last to first, either 87 or 91? Betting on the longshot is where you make the big money bro.

No one even gave Minnesota odds. But if I could get my ass to Vegas I'd put 100 down on the Gophers as they'd at best be a 100 to 1 bet right now.

A real life example was the 1989 & 1990 Gopher men's bb team. I was the only person I knew/talked to, that believed the Gophers had a shot to even get into the tourney, much less win any games in the tourney. A college sports hat merchant had to make a special order to get me a Gopher hat. He thought I was crazy after our talk when I made the order and told him the Gophers were legit. By the time I was able to go pick up the hat, the Gophers had pulled off an upset of #1 ranked Illinois and he smiled big and told me he was surprised that I was right and said he'd follow them going forward. They made the Sweet 16 that year and game one last second 3 point shot away from going to the Final Four the next season. Now one of those player's kids, Amir Coffey, is in the NBA having big games himself.

Again in 1997, I was living outside of Seattle and won lots of money from those west coasters who went so far as one of them betting against the Gophers in their first game of the tourney, then half a dozen bet against them in their 2nd game, and about a dozen bet against them in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I may have gotten let go from that job in part because they were all mad at me because I didn't give them a chance to win their money back in the semi-final game. I wasn't delusional like Wamu thinks I am, and knew it was a good chance they'd lose in the semi-final game, so I only bet a fraction of what I did in the first 4 rounds.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that what you think I want? You think I want support? lol I love being the only one who knew, or knows that my team is legit. It's SO much more fun when a good number of people in here become more and more stubborn in their opposition to me and what I say about the Gophers. lol

Also, if you knew anything about marketing, online it's all about the # of clicks, and so headlines far more often than not exaggerate things or say one thing to get people's attention only to talk about something else in the article or post. News shows do this constantly, How often have you seen the word "alert" in a news headline? Youtubers do it all the time, mainstream media does it. News columnists do it as well. They often say controversial things for the sole purpose of pissing off the readers because that is what gets more clicks.

Would you rather be the guy who bet on the favorite to win, maybe doubling your money, or would you rather be the guy who put their money on say, maybe, the Twins the year they went from last to first, either 87 or 91? Betting on the longshot is where you make the big money bro.

No one even gave Minnesota odds. But if I could get my ass to Vegas I'd put 100 down on the Gophers as they'd at best be a 100 to 1 bet right now.

A real life example was the 1989 & 1990 Gopher men's bb team. I was the only person I knew/talked to, that believed the Gophers had a shot to even get into the tourney, much less win any games in the tourney. A college sports hat merchant had to make a special order to get me a Gopher hat. He thought I was crazy after our talk when I made the order and told him the Gophers were legit. By the time I was able to go pick up the hat, the Gophers had pulled off an upset of #1 ranked Illinois and he smiled big and told me he was surprised that I was right and said he'd follow them going forward. They made the Sweet 16 that year and game one last second 3 point shot away from going to the Final Four the next season. Now one of those player's kids, Amir Coffey, is in the NBA having big games himself.

Again in 1997, I was living outside of Seattle and won lots of money from those west coasters who went so far as one of them betting against the Gophers in their first game of the tourney, then half a dozen bet against them in their 2nd game, and about a dozen bet against them in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I may have gotten let go from that job in part because they were all mad at me because I didn't give them a chance to win their money back in the semi-final game. I wasn't delusional like Wamu thinks I am, and knew it was a good chance they'd lose in the semi-final game, so I only bet a fraction of what I did in the first 4 rounds.
Never said you were looking for support. I said I for one wouldn't have taken exception to you had you kept the #1 part out of you crying.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said you were looking for support. I said I for one wouldn't have taken exception to you had you kept the #1 part out of you crying.
I included the #1 part, why? Because of their being ranked #1 in so many statistical categories.

And, also because they could, just maybe, finish #1.

How? With 56 years of experience on their starting offense and having an even better defense than last year's 3rd best defense in the nation.

If they can beat PSU, 12-0 is definitely a good possibility, then pull one upset in the Conf title game, which could happen if they stay healthy, and they'll be in the cfp.

Balance bro. Balance and experience.

#1 total defense, #3 total offense. #2 in rush offense, #3 in rush defense, #2 in pass defense. #67 in pass offense.

When you consider that they only turn to the pass when they need to, When they do pass, they are #7 in team passing eff & #6 in pass completions. That's balance bro.

3 quality rbs, 10 guys caught passes vs MSU, the most effecient QB in the nation right now, top TE in the nation, best Center in the nation.

Did I mention the return of our OC from 2019? Ciarocca is 17-2 as the OC at Minnesota.

Last edited:

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU is still probably the team destined to make the cfp. So I am not going to touch OSU yet.

Before I do that I believe that I CAN start comparing UMn to PSU & Michigan.

PSU because the BTN guys seem to think UMn's better than PSU as far as they can tell right now, now they may just be saying that knowing it will create controversy and conversation and draw more viewers, I'll be consistent on this, as I've said this to Wamu before, public speakers opinion sharers, when they have a reason to say one thing or another, especially a financial reason, may not always be perfectly honest.

But PSU also because I've never been overly impressed with their coach, they barely beat a Purdue team we now know is not as good as they were thought they might be this season, they didn't impress me vs C Mich, and the Auburn win may not be as impressive as it should have been. Granted the same can be said about the MSU game, but if you compare UMn's throttling of MSU on the road with PSU's pounding of Auburn on the road, there might not be much of a difference at all? So that leaves the unimpressive game vs C Mich. CMU didn't look bad vs Okie St, they throttled one lowly team, but lost to S Alabama? I won't say either way yet whether this game is a sign of weakness on PSU's part or not, but it definitely isn't a sign that PSU is absolutely a better team than Minnesota.

Soon enough UMn and PSU will play, PSU has a road game at Michigan before and a home game vs OSU the week after, so maybe PSU overlooks UMn? Or is banged up after Michigan? PSU could lose all 3 games, they could win all 3, too? I hope they go 2-1, losing only to UMn, lol.

As for Michigan, I'll leave that write up above to do the talking, for now. UMn's got to beat PSU first, and PSU has to play Michigan before they play us, so we're going to learn a lot about these 3 teams soon.

If Michigan beats PSU, they could be 11-0 going into the game with OSU. Both UMn and Michigan will have almost equally weak schedules going into their bowl games, if OSU beats both UMn and Michigan.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Ohio St, Michigan, Oregon and SEC fans out there who all hate me, you all might like this guy's video? lol

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck everyone of you losers, UMn this year is beyond legit. They are going to beat PSU, and are going to win out, OSU better fucking be fucking concerned, UMn's going into the Conf Title game undefeated and OSU better be concerned. Who knows about the future, but right now UMn is the perfect team. Baring injuries, UMn's going to the cfp after beating OSU and might be the best team in the nation?

There, I've said it.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More BS. Maybe YOU should read your own post. At NO point did you ever refer, point, allude or intimate that you were discussing the B1G West Division. You mention rankings and I don't know of any ranking for the B1G West division. The only ranking I am aware of for CFB is for national rankings.

And, yes it is OUT of the realm of possibility!