• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Millen's protege says he was looking for good hands

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mayhew was asked specifically if it’s been an issue finding receivers who run good routes, get open and wind up where Matthew Stafford can trust them to be, Mayhew went in another direction.

“I don’t think so,” he said. “You know, we had a lot of drops last year. I think that was, if you want to say an issue with the receivers, for me personally it was the number of drops. We had a lot of dropped passes: passes that could have been a first down in the fourth quarter and kept the chains moving. We didn’t catch those balls.

“So that was more of an emphasis I think in this draft of looking at guys that had good hands and could catch the ball and make plays for us in those situations in the fourth quarter."

Carlos Monarrez finishes up with this....

If Mayhew was prioritizing problems, it would make sense to place an emphasis on drops, which has been the receiving corps’ weakest point over the past few years. But then drafting Ebron, who had a high drop rate of 11.4% last season, according to NFL.com, does not make as much sense.

The entire article is down below.

For Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew, drops a bigger concern than route-running for receivers | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Stafford has gotten more criticism than he deserved.

The Lions had 1 receiver that ran a good route, CJ. The rest always seemed to have miscommunication problems with Stafford or just was not good enough, Durham! It's hard to place blame when the best #2 was Ogletree.

I think route running is a strength of TJ and hopefully Broyles can make a successful return, although I am not counting on it. If Stafford had a quality #2 the Lions win 2 more games last year and no body is questioning Staffords mechanics, decision making, or contract. Hopefully Ebron equals a third quality option with Tate and CJ.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Ebron equals a third quality option with Tate and CJ.

If not, we always have Durham to rescue us.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mayhew was asked specifically if it’s been an issue finding receivers who run good routes, get open and wind up where Matthew Stafford can trust them to be, Mayhew went in another direction.

“I don’t think so,” he said. “You know, we had a lot of drops last year. I think that was, if you want to say an issue with the receivers, for me personally it was the number of drops. We had a lot of dropped passes: passes that could have been a first down in the fourth quarter and kept the chains moving. We didn’t catch those balls.

“So that was more of an emphasis I think in this draft of looking at guys that had good hands and could catch the ball and make plays for us in those situations in the fourth quarter."

Carlos Monarrez finishes up with this....

If Mayhew was prioritizing problems, it would make sense to place an emphasis on drops, which has been the receiving corps’ weakest point over the past few years. But then drafting Ebron, who had a high drop rate of 11.4% last season, according to NFL.com, does not make as much sense.

The entire article is down below.

For Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew, drops a bigger concern than route-running for receivers | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Carlos is right. Doesn't make much sense at all.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh but according to some on the Hoop Ebron will be the answer to Lions fans prayers.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO Stafford has gotten more criticism than he deserved.

The Lions had 1 receiver that ran a good route, CJ. The rest always seemed to have miscommunication problems with Stafford or just was not good enough, Durham! It's hard to place blame when the best #2 was Ogletree.

I think route running is a strength of TJ and hopefully Broyles can make a successful return, although I am not counting on it. If Stafford had a quality #2 the Lions win 2 more games last year and no body is questioning Staffords mechanics, decision making, or contract. Hopefully Ebron equals a third quality option with Tate and CJ.

Stafford has a legit #2 and #3 now. Sky is the limit.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen's protege says he was looking for good hands

Then he should have switched his insurance to Allstate.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ughh. I swear that before this flaming bag of dog poop gets fired you will all hate him as much as I do.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ughh. I swear that before this flaming bag of dog poop gets fired you will all hate him as much as I do.

I'm staging a protest. Not cutting my hair until the Lions win a playoff game or Mayhew gets fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lion's Hoop board should form their own scouting service and sell to the masses ?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not come out and used those exact words but at the very least it's been highly suggestive. If I'm being asked to point a finger I will.

Other than Lionstop, who's been very positive in his liking of the pick, I can't think of a single poster that said he'll be the answer to all of our prayers.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is common to view a different opinion in the most extreme light, so not hating the pick becomes "Savior of the franchise". I would have preferred Haha, but if Ebron helps solve the offense sputtering when it mattered I will take that any day.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading helps.

So does not being a dick.

I saw what u wrote, maybe then don't use the expression "that all our prayers will be answered" if u don't really mean it?

And I see u still dodged the question. Who thinks this "will answe all of our prayers" but not really come out and used those words?

I see a lot of positive things being discussed about him, as well as some things that might be worrisome. Maybe you're reading something I'm not? :noidea:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're gonna look so awesome with "The Rapunzel"!!!

You got me to thinking. Maybe I better postpone this protest for a few days and get my hair cut.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got me to thinking. Maybe I better postpone this protest for a few days and get my hair cut.

Damnit. I hate it when I get people to thinking. (Mayhew targeted hands in the draft... That got me to thinking........ about why I never believe him.)