• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Riley the new Nebraska coach.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are aware of that. It still doesn't bode well for him to make gay jokes while sporting it. Kind of takes something off it a bit don't you think?

Welcome to the world of TexasExes98!!!

Most of the stuff he rants about can be directly applied to Texas, TexasExes98 is a synonym for hypocrisy.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TexasExes98 made a bet and lost. He is honoring the bet.

I know, but as Wizardhawk pointed out, a moratorium on gay slurs would probably be a wise choice for him until his punishment is over.:lol:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Check out Saban, Holtz, or Spurrier and get back to me.

Again, it's apples to oranges. Riley hasn't had the success in college of those coaches. Rather, he's had the excuses of apparently being hampered and limited by the fact that he's at Oregon State. So now we look to how he did when he wasn't shackled by the Oregon State program.

Alas, no better. Worse, actually.

So upon what are we basing the assertion that he's a great coach worthy of this hire?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apples to oranges. Riley hasn't had the success in college of those coaches. Rather, he's had the excuses of apparently being shackled by the Oregon State program. So now we look to how he did when he wasn't shackled by the Oregon State program.

Alas, no better.

With the exception of Spurrier, those coaches didn't have the success in college before they went to the NFL either. In fact, Pete Carroll hadn't been a college HC yet. You were the one trying to use his NFL record against him. I just pointed out others haven't been any more successful in the NFL and have had great success in college.

And lol at you not grasping the difference between Carroll, Saban and Spurrier landing at places like USC, Alabama and South Carolina and thinking that his somehow the same as landing at Oregon St. Talk about "apples to oranges".

The fact that you think Oregon St. is the same as USC, Alabama, etc. pretty much disqualifies you from further discussion.:lol:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the exception of Spurrier, those coaches didn't have the success in college before they went to the NFL either. In fact, Pete Carroll hadn't been a college HC yet. You were the one trying to use his NFL record against him. I just pointed out others haven't been any more successful in the NFL and have had great success in college.

And lol at you not grasping the difference between Carroll, Saban and Spurrier landing at places like USC, Alabama and South Carolina and thinking that his somehow the same as landing at Oregon St. Talk about "apples to oranges".

The fact that you think Oregon St. is the same as USC, Alabama, etc. pretty much disqualifies you from further discussion.:lol:

You seem to be confused. I never said or implied that they're the same programs. It doesn't matter how much better programs like USC and Alabama are than Oregon St. I get that it's a poor program. But when given the chance to prove that the poor program was the reason that he didn't have greater success as a coach, he failed.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to be confused. I never said or implied that they're the same programs. It doesn't matter how much better programs like USC and Alabama are than Oregon St. I get that it's a poor program. But when given the chance to prove that the poor program was the reason that he didn't have greater success as a coach, he failed.

And what you're confused about is that the resources a program has goes along ways towards determining how successful a coach is going to be. Those resources determine the level of recruit a coach can get. Riley was literally fighting with one hand tied behind his back at Oregon St. He did as much with that program as any coach could have no matter who it was. They had 26 consecutive losing seasons before he arrived.

I think you and I can both agree that Nebraska has much better resources and gets much better talent than Oregon St. Yet, there are currently 17 former Oregon St. players in the NFL compared to 21 former Nebraska players. I'd think that, given the resources and level of recruit they get, Nebraska would have a much bigger advantage.

Riley has shown that he can take 1-3 star recruits and develop them. One of the biggest complaints that I've seen about Pelini is that he couldn't develop the 4-5 star athletes that Nebraska gets. Heck, if he does nothing else, you'll see much better quarterback play with Riley.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, it's apples to oranges. Riley hasn't had the success in college of those coaches. Rather, he's had the excuses of apparently being hampered and limited by the fact that he's at Oregon State. So now we look to how he did when he wasn't shackled by the Oregon State program.

Alas, no better. Worse, actually.

So upon what are we basing the assertion that he's a great coach worthy of this hire?

Actually I think Riley had a pretty similar winning record to Saban at MSU. If we are comparing apples to almost apples

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on man. You take the fun out of it when I try and poke you harder and you go all explanatory on me.

BTW, am I the only one that laughed at the guy with the gay avatar trying to call someone else out for wanting to have gay sex? Anyone? Seriously exes, until you are finally over that penalty I'd really not go down that road. It just doesn't have the same juice.

I didn't put that avatar up b/c I felt like being a pheg all of a sudden. I lost a bet. With that being said, I'm not the only one here who is noticing you all up in Mike Riley's nuts, guy.........Just saying

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what you're confused about is that the resources a program has goes along ways towards determining how successful a coach is going to be. Those resources determine the level of recruit a coach can get. Riley was literally fighting with one hand tied behind his back at Oregon St. He did as much with that program as any coach could have no matter who it was. They had 26 consecutive losing seasons before he arrived.

I think you and I can both agree that Nebraska has much better resources and gets much better talent than Oregon St. Yet, there are currently 17 former Oregon St. players in the NFL compared to 21 former Nebraska players. I'd think that, given the resources and level of recruit they get, Nebraska would have a much bigger advantage.

Riley has shown that he can take 1-3 star recruits and develop them. One of the biggest complaints that I've seen about Pelini is that he couldn't develop the 4-5 star athletes that Nebraska gets. Heck, if he does nothing else, you'll see much better quarterback play with Riley.

Resources don't mean diddly if you cannot coach.

How has Florida done with all their resources?
How has Texas done with all their resources?
How has Notre Dame done with all their resources?

How did Schnellenbeger do at Oklahoma?
How did John Mackovic do at Texas?
How did Bill Callahan do at Nebraska?
How did Brady Hoke do at Michigan?
on and on and on....

Did these guys have resources?

How has Bill Snyder of Kansas State done?
How has Cutcliffe done at Duke?
How has Fuente done at Memphis?
How has Jerry Kill done at Northern Illinois and Minnesota?
How has Chris Peterson done at Boise State?
How has McElwain done at Colorado State?
How did Craig Bohl do at North Dakota State?

You hire a coach that has PROVED he can coach and recruit. Cutcliffe, Kill, Fuente, Peterson, McElwain, Snyder, Malzahn, Briles, and Hudsepth have proven themselves. I am pretty sure I know what Mike Riley has proved at Oregon State.

(some of these names might be spelled wrong)

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schellenberger can not coach?? Wow, that is probably the most interesting comment I have seen today.

Peterson?No idea what you trying to prove there. BSU was winning before Peterson was HC, not to mention they actually had more resources than much of their competition.

Kill hasnt won more than 8 yet. ISnt that what you are knocking Riley for? (plus its a better situation)

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schellenberger can not coach?? Wow, that is probably the most interesting comment I have seen today.

Peterson?No idea what you trying to prove there. BSU was winning before Peterson was HC, not to mention they actually had more resources than much of their competition.

Kill hasnt won more than 8 yet. ISnt that what you are knocking Riley for? (plus its a better situation)

Jerry Kill at Southern Illinois
1st year 1-10
last year 12-2

Jerry Kill at Northern Illinois
1st year 6-7
last year 10-3

Jerry Kill at Minnesota
1st year 3-9
last year 8-4

Jerry Kill probably had about the same amount of resources that Oregon State does.
Jerry Kill has proven he can recruit
Jerry Kill has proven he can win

Mike Riley
Oregon State the last five years
29-33

three losing seasons the last five years

2014 he was 5-7

blown out in four games in 2014(blow out is a loss of 21 or more)

lost to 3-9 Washington State in 2014

Has lost to nine teams with records of 7-5 or worse and the two FCS schools(Bo Pelini would have been 10-1)

has lost to TWO FCS teams in the last five years

The last seven years, 0-7 against Oregon(a game that matters, Nebraska would probably be 0-7 also but might have luckily won one during an Oregon down year)

The Oregon State defense allowed 30 or more points in eight of their 12 games in 2014

What he has done is beat three Top 10 teams that fell further after they lost to OSU. Bo Pelini never did that.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get it HB10. Worst hire in the history of college football. Coach hasn't won anything and won't now. It's so bad you won't follow the team anymore.

You might be right. There is no way to know how Riley will do. You might also be working yourself up over nothing. It is at least possible he will develop the vastly superior talent there the way he did at State and you might end up with something good.

Keep on over reacting. Not just you, but especially RA and the more amusing ones. It's at least something entertaining going into the lull before bowl season starts.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get it HB10. Worst hire in the history of college football. Coach hasn't won anything and won't now. It's so bad you won't follow the team anymore.

You might be right. There is no way to know how Riley will do. You might also be working yourself up over nothing. It is at least possible he will develop the vastly superior talent there the way he did at State and you might end up with something good.

Keep on over reacting. Not just you, but especially RA and the more amusing ones. It's at least something entertaining going into the lull before bowl season starts.

I will agree to disagree.

No one has provided any evidence to prove he is a winner. Losing 9 games in a season is not good. Losing five games in a season won't float at Nebraska.

The only thing I know about him is that he is a nice guy and he can coach up quarterbacks and he cannot coach special teams.

I am willing to bet Oregon State has a higher budget than what Northern Illinois had.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree to disagree.

No one has provided any evidence to prove he is a winner. Losing 9 games in a season is not good. Losing five games in a season won't float at Nebraska.

The only thing I know about him is that he is a nice guy and he can coach up quarterbacks and he cannot coach special teams.

I am willing to bet Oregon State has a higher budget than what Northern Illinois had.

And I'm willing to bet Oregon State played a much harder schedule than Northern Illinois. That's why I did not include the rest of those.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,005.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you disagreeing with? That he MIGHT be ok? Because I'm not aware of anyone saying he's a slam dunk. All we have said is he has built up some NFL caliber players that were 2 and 3 star castaways and none of his former players would say a bad thing about him or his program.

We get that you aren't happy. Stop going overboard with it and stop projecting that those in support of him are saying things we aren't. He could flop there. Every HC is a potential flop until they aren't.

We like the potential of Petersen, but he is a flop risk as well and will be until he isn't a flop.

The Sun will rise tomorrow and Nebraska will field a team next year. It's going to be ok man. Relax and wait until at least shit falls apart before you go so drastic on it.