• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike James trying to get NFL's first "therapeutic marijuana" allowance.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he was denied...but wont stop fighting.

NFL player makes medical marijuana history - CNN

NFL running back Mike James calls it his medicine for pain management, but league officials call it a banned substance. Now, James' athletic career is hanging in limbo because he chose pot over pills.
In 2013, James was prescribed opioid painkillers after injuring his left ankle in a Monday night football game. Within weeks, he developed a dangerous dependency on the drugs.
To get off of the opioids, he turned to medical marijuana for his pain.
Suddenly, "my pain subsided," James told CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta in an exclusive interview in the documentary "Weed 4: Pot vs. Pills," which aired Sunday night.
"I never had something where I could be coherent and still have pain relief," he said.
As it stands, the NFL and NFL Players Association prohibit active players from using marijuana as part of the league's policy on substance abuse.
The only way around the policy is if a player has what's called a therapeutic use exemption indicating that the athlete requires the substance to treat a diagnosed medical problem.
James made history last month as the first player to file for a therapeutic use exemption specifically for cannabis. On Thursday, he received a letter from the NFL, denying his exemption application. He vowed not to give up.
"My career is at great risk," said James, who is a free agent after being released by the Detroit Lions.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Hank goes on his weed rant....

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the opioid crisis, I think the NFL is going to have a hard time holding the moral high ground on this issue much longer.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given the opioid crisis, I think the NFL is going to have a hard time holding the moral high ground on this issue much longer.
Tough to really argue with the NFL's stance given (dumb) federal law and a still sizable chunk of the population that believes Mary Jane is hardcore and damaging stuff. I get their side of it- I just wish the politics of it can just go away.

LetsGoPats

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a guy that did the pot and some beers at the same time. No joke.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who is that supposed to be?

You don't remember Thumper from a couple of years ago? He was a character. And was always preaching about the dangers of PCP laced Devils Weed. He somehow convinced himself that all weed is laced w/ PCP. He said alotta off the wall nonsense.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't remember Thumper from a couple of years ago? He was a character. And was always preaching about the dangers of PCP laced Devils Weed. He somehow convinced himself that all weed is laced w/ PCP. He said alotta off the wall nonsense.
i remember thumper, but not what he looked like.

did he die?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i remember thumper, but not what he looked like.

did he die?

Word on the SportsHoopla streets is he OD's on HoHo's & DingDong's after accidentally mixing up a regular chocolate chip cookie w/ an edible.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I smoke a lotta weed

captain-obvious.jpg

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on the SportsHoopla streets is he OD's on HoHo's & DingDong's after accidentally mixing up a regular chocolate chip cookie w/ an edible.
i remember him, always posted a pic of himself as his avatar.

USC guy if i recall?