• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Iupati to the Cardinals

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like Iupati over Carpenter (as a Hawks fan). It will cost more, Carpenter has continually lost weight two offseasons in a row, and he played very well last year considering the injuries to the two people next to him. His girlfriend of 1-2 years has apparently really worked to get him in shape as well.

That said, Iupati is a huge upgrade for the Cards. Palmer is just an injury prone QB so I can't blame his injury ENTIRELY on the Cards' line. Arizona allowed (tied for) the 6th fewest sacks allowed in the NFL. Meanwhile Seattle was top half of the league although I in part attribute that to Wilson running around in the backfield for 10 seconds because nobody can get open.

Where Arizona sucks is the one strength from Iupati. The run. Arizona was 2nd to dead last in the NFL last year only beat out by get this... OAKLAND. Even worse, they were DEAD last in yards/attempt with a paltry 3.3 ypc.

If Arizona can even improve to top 20 rushing attack, they will be a FAR better offense and that alone will alleviate pressure off Palmer. So if I'm Seattle, Iupati is a waste of time because Seattle is the #1 rushing attack in the NFL in both y/attempt and overall yards. Iupati is a minor upgrade if any at that point.

For a team like Arizona, Iupati is a HUGE upgrade and if Arizona does draft someone like Gordon/Gurley and they live up to the hype, I'm worried as a Hawks fan. Now the offense (on paper) is not all about Palmer/Floyd/Fitz/Brown, now they have some resemblance of a ground attack that you can't just ignore entirely.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth that kind of cheddar. Idc who he's replacing, a guard who is a road grader in the run game but will whiff enough in pass protection to make you reach for your heart meds is not worth 8 mil per. His Pro Bowl status was a combo of reputation in the run game prior to his leg injuries coupled with overall average OG play in the NFC. I don't want to see him twice a season if the Cards ever commit to actually running the ball, but if Palmer is dropping back with frequency, I can't wait for that matchup.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not worth that kind of cheddar. Idc who he's replacing, a guard who is a road grader in the run game but will whiff enough in pass protection to make you reach for your heart meds is not worth 8 mil per. His Pro Bowl status was a combo of reputation in the run game prior to his leg injuries coupled with overall average OG play in the NFC. I don't want to see him twice a season if the Cards ever commit to actually running the ball, but if Palmer is dropping back with frequency, I can't wait for that matchup.
My thoughts exactly, except I'd add if the Cards ever get a stud RB, this might make some sense. I know some those Cards fans are praying for AP, I don't see that happening. Really looking forward to seeing him protect Palmer on pass plays. Get some damn good insurance Palmer, your going to need it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts exactly, except I'd add if the Cards ever get a stud RB, this might make some sense. I know some those Cards fans are praying for AP, I don't see that happening. Really looking forward to seeing him protect Palmer on pass plays. Get some damn good insurance Palmer, your going to need it.

Regardless of a stud runningback, Iupati immediately upgrades the run game. The Cards are fine IMO pass protection wise.

I'm just going to call it now... Gurley or Gordon with 1st rounder to Cards. It just makes so much sense at the moment. Takes pressure off Palmer, gives a running burst and a nasty 1-2 punch with Ellington in the receiving game, and their defense (like Seattle) is expected to pull off similar production last year with most of the cast returning.

I'll just mock it now, Gurley/Gordon to Cards. Happy to eat crow if wrong but that's going in my latest mock.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless of a stud runningback, Iupati immediately upgrades the run game. The Cards are fine IMO pass protection wise.

I'm just going to call it now... Gurley or Gordon with 1st rounder to Cards. It just makes so much sense at the moment. Takes pressure off Palmer, gives a running burst and a nasty 1-2 punch with Ellington in the receiving game, and their defense (like Seattle) is expected to pull off similar production last year with most of the cast returning.

I'll just mock it now, Gurley/Gordon to Cards. Happy to eat crow if wrong but that's going in my latest mock.

Didn't both their starting QB and his backup get hammered and injured last year? That don't sound fine to me at all. Iupati doesn't help that at all. Won't surprise me to see the Cards pickup a RB in the draft, kind of a no brainer, but is that RB good as a NFL player? Time will tell

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't both their starting QB and his backup get hammered and injured last year? That don't sound fine to me at all. Iupati doesn't help that at all. Won't surprise me to see the Cards pickup a RB in the draft, kind of a no brainer, but is that RB good as a NFL player? Time will tell

QB injures can happen man. Point of the matter is, Cards allowed some of the fewest QB sacks on their O-Line last year. Carson is old and injury prone, that might be something that is bound to happen. Their backup as I recall wasn't too durable either. Guys like Wilson/Newton however take hits routinely but are okay because they're built like linebackers/runningbacks.

Any freak hit/etc. can knock a QB out for the season. There could be a QB that takes 20 sacks and gets injured for the season and another that takes 50 and plays the entire time.

Just saying man. It's all odds..

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB injures can happen man. Point of the matter is, Cards allowed some of the fewest QB sacks on their O-Line last year. Carson is old and injury prone, that might be something that is bound to happen. Their backup as I recall wasn't too durable either. Guys like Wilson/Newton however take hits routinely but are okay because they're built like linebackers/runningbacks.

Any freak hit/etc. can knock a QB out for the season. There could be a QB that takes 20 sacks and gets injured for the season and another that takes 50 and plays the entire time.

Palmer goes down the Cards are out of it, I don't care if they have a hot shot rookie RB. There for who ever they they add to the OL protecting the QB should be the first concern, not run blocking. Yeah, yeah I know, noboby can afford to lose their starting QB. However when you got a aging QB coming off a major injury, your main focus should be to keep him healthy all year, because without him your lost.That's why this signing reeks of pay back that's going to blow up in the Cards face.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer goes down the Cards are out of it, I don't care if they have a hot shot rookie RB. There for who ever they they add to the OL protecting the QB should be the first concern, not run blocking. Yeah, yeah I know, noboby can afford to lose their starting QB. However when you got a aging QB coming off a major injury, your main focus should be to keep him healthy all year, because without him your lost.That's why this signing reeks of pay back that's going to blow up in the Cards face.

To be fair, he said he played through a broken foot last year, that's why his pass block #'s were at a career low. He's usually been a top 25 pass blocker and top 10 run blocker when healthy. Also, he's a huge upgrade over the crap we had there last year EVEN if he repeats his poor pass blocking from last year, which I don't expect if he's healthy.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

EXACTLY. The funny (not literal) part is that his injury occurred when he was rushed on a pass and not even HIT. He just landed awkwardly on his knee and it twisted weirdly then BOOM. Season over. Our O-Line was solid last year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, Iupati is still a decent upgrade over what they had, and by getting some semblance of a running game, that might also help/keep Palmer healthy. Arizona was ranked 24th in rush attempts last year and the paltry 3.3 yards per carry certainly didn't help. Meanwhile Seattle ran 500+ times and ranked 2nd in most rushes, yet we allowed 14 more sacks than Arizona. :gaah: