• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miguel Cabrera gets 10 years 292 Mill

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is going on ! This is going to piss off some GM's around the league as Pablo's agent just upped the price to sign Sandoval. There is no way Sandoval will sign now for less than 100 mill over 5 years after this contract for Cabrera goes on the books. Unreal ! There is way too much money floating around right now.

:doh:

TheRedPlectrum

and you are?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will be a lot for an elderly DH.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is going on ! This is going to piss off some GM's around the league as Pablo's agent just upped the price to sign Sandoval. There is no way Sandoval will sign now for less than 100 mill over 5 years after this contract for Cabrera goes on the books. Unreal ! There is way too much money floating around right now.

:doh:
Miggy's contract has nothing to do with Sandoval. That is like saying that the CEO of a company got a raise, so the janitor should reap the benefits. Not trying to slight Pablo but he doesn't hold a candle to the Miggy's and Trout's of the world.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy's contract has nothing to do with Sandoval. That is like saying that the CEO of a company got a raise, so the janitor should reap the benefits. Not trying to slight Pablo but he doesn't hold a candle to the Miggy's and Trout's of the world.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. This will pump up a lot of pending free agents salaries. This is just the beginning. All the TV money is coming in and salaries will rise. This is big news. Cabrera is 30 years old and Pablo is only 27.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panda is no Miggy. However, this is a HUGE sign that the new TV money is making a HUGE difference. I think the salaries this year will ALL be ridiculous. Maybe signing Panda now to a Pence is a good idea.

Money just isn't worth what it used to be worth.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but I have to disagree with you. This will pump up a lot of pending free agents salaries. This is just the beginning. All the TV money is coming in and salaries will rise. This is big news. Cabrera is 30 years old and Pablo is only 27.
Disagreement drives the bus, no need to apologize.

You're right, salaries are on the rise because of the TV deal but Miggy is a special player. Not only because of his talent, but because of his leadership in the clubhouse. It is amazing how many people have the Tigers going deep into the playoffs this year despite a new rookie manager. You can attribute the continuity to Miggy and JV.

Pablo is going to get paid and paid well but I am not convinced he is a $20MM+ player. My meaningless evaluation is he needs to take the preparation part of the game more seriously if he wants to reach that next level.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagreement drives the bus, no need to apologize.

You're right, salaries are on the rise because of the TV deal but Miggy is a special player. Not only because of his talent, but because of his leadership in the clubhouse. It is amazing how many people have the Tigers going deep into the playoffs this year despite a new rookie manager. You can attribute the continuity to Miggy and JV.

Pablo is going to get paid and paid well but I am not convinced he is a $20MM+ player. My meaningless evaluation is he needs to take the preparation part of the game more seriously if he wants to reach that next level.

In a logic-based world, you are right. However, with Panda's natural ability and the fact that he is one of the 5 best 3B in the game, SOMEBODY will pay him an obscene amount of money. $20M? After seeing Miggy get 30, maybe.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I though this was completely outrageous for the Tigers when I first saw the news, but then remembered Miggy is still only 30. This makes it only slightly less outrageous, especially comparing it to contracts like A-Rod's or Pujols' who got 10 year commitments both at age 32, while Cabrera is only getting an 8 year commitment at 32 (with 2 vesting options, highly unlikely to vest).

This is what baseball is turning into though people. The amount of money going around is ridiculous, thanks to all the T.V. deals and revenue sharing, which I guess is a good thing if your team is using it. This extension probably drives Pablo's price up a little bit, but I agree with jalpoy, Miggy is a different player and won't have much of an effect on Pablo. Pablo's salary is being driven up simply by time passing by. Every season contracts are getting richer and richer.

I think a player who signed an extension that will have the most effect on the Giants is Freddie Freeman's huge extension with the Braves. If Belt has a huge year, he could be the one laughing in the end.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just simply not true. A rising tide carries all ships. Pablo's price just went up.

But, hey, thanks for trundling over to our board and taking a backhanded swipe at the Panda. Feel free to trundle back to that active Tigger board.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panda is no Miggy. However, this is a HUGE sign that the new TV money is making a HUGE difference. I think the salaries this year will ALL be ridiculous. Maybe signing Panda now to a Pence is a good idea.

Money just isn't worth what it used to be worth.

Hmmm...I seem to remember someone advocating that...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I though this was completely outrageous for the Tigers when I first saw the news, but then remembered Miggy is still only 30. This makes it only slightly less outrageous, especially comparing it to contracts like A-Rod's or Pujols' who got 10 year commitments both at age 32, while Cabrera is only getting an 8 year commitment at 32 (with 2 vesting options, highly unlikely to vest).

This is what baseball is turning into though people. The amount of money going around is ridiculous, thanks to all the T.V. deals and revenue sharing, which I guess is a good thing if your team is using it. This extension probably drives Pablo's price up a little bit, but I agree with jalpoy, Miggy is a different player and won't have much of an effect on Pablo. Pablo's salary is being driven up simply by time passing by. Every season contracts are getting richer and richer.

I think a player who signed an extension that will have the most effect on the Giants is Freddie Freeman's huge extension with the Braves. If Belt has a huge year, he could be the one laughing in the end.

Great post. I would also add that there is a HUGE factor driving Pooh Holes and Miggy's contracts: the DH. Without the DH, neither gets 8-10 years, as they simply couldn't defend a position well enough in their late 30s to justify their drop off at the plate.

The Giants would be very well served to sign Panda and Belt now.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a logic-based world, you are right. However, with Panda's natural ability and the fact that he is one of the 5 best 3B in the game, SOMEBODY will pay him an obscene amount of money. $20M? After seeing Miggy get 30, maybe.

The lesson here is the definition of 'obscene' is changing right in front of us. Fans simply have to adjust their definitions. I feel like my Dad, who knew what salaries were before free agency. I remember being 10 years old when Nolan Ryan was the first player to make $1 mil per year. So, this is a thing, and it just got real.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being around the game for what feels like forever ... there are a few subtle changes that are affecting what the average fan feel (I think). Players are now signing what I call CFC (Career Finishing Contracts). They are for 7-10 years and pretty much carry the player through to the end of their careers. Miggy is just an example. Not going to trade him at 35 or 36. Just don't see any takers for
29.2M for 5 more years at that point of the contract. I also think that these longer term contracts are really highlighting the package in pure monetary terms. Jesus .... 292M. It's just mind numbing for an average fan. Also makes me think a little about the future of baseball and hown it will evolve if this continues. How would you feel if you were a 20 yearold in the Tigers farm system and you were a 3rd baseman? You clearly don't have a future here. Your only real option is to be traded. I think this is happening a lot. A lot more than we may realize. Every time I turn around someone is signing a 7+ year contract and usually that blocks some youngsters path. At least for that organization. But, it is what it is and money is the commodity that seems to be fueling the show ....

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being around the game for what feels like forever ... there are a few subtle changes that are affecting what the average fan feel (I think). Players are now signing what I call CFC (Career Finishing Contracts). They are for 7-10 years and pretty much carry the player through to the end of their careers. Miggy is just an example. Not going to trade him at 35 or 36. Just don't see any takers for
29.2M for 5 more years at that point of the contract. I also think that these longer term contracts are really highlighting the package in pure monetary terms. Jesus .... 292M. It's just mind numbing for an average fan. Also makes me think a little about the future of baseball and hown it will evolve if this continues. How would you feel if you were a 20 yearold in the Tigers farm system and you were a 3rd baseman? You clearly don't have a future here. Your only real option is to be traded. I think this is happening a lot. A lot more than we may realize. Every time I turn around someone is signing a 7+ year contract and usually that blocks some youngsters path. At least for that organization. But, it is what it is and money is the commodity that seems to be fueling the show ....

I am not sure I agree with you 100%. Miggy will likely not stay at 3B for more than a few more years. He will move to 1B or DH. If the Tigers have a 3B prospect (I have no idea what their farm looks like) that is better than their 1B prospects (or their 1B in Det), than he will factor into the equation.

We have a similar situation with Hacktor and Susac. They are both starting-quality catchers, yet we have a franchise catcher who owns one of these "CFC"s. I think having Hacktor and Susac in the org is a HUGE benefit, and offers flexibility when it comes to Posey, Belt, Panda and the LF positions (and potentially, to a lessor extent, the 2B picture).

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure I agree with you 100%. Miggy will likely not stay at 3B for more than a few more years. He will move to 1B or DH. If the Tigers have a 3B prospect (I have no idea what their farm looks like) that is better than their 1B prospects (or their 1B in Det), than he will factor into the equation.

We have a similar situation with Hacktor and Susac. They are both starting-quality catchers, yet we have a franchise catcher who owns one of these "CFC"s. I think having Hacktor and Susac in the org is a HUGE benefit, and offers flexibility when it comes to Posey, Belt, Panda and the LF positions (and potentially, to a lessor extent, the 2B picture).

I agree 100% about Miggy. had some discussions in the office and they also thought that Miggy would do a lot of DHing in the later years. So the path isn't really bloccked. I understand your point about hactor and Susac but I think the HUGE benefit you mention is to the organization and not necessarily to the individual. I don't see Susac being a backup, nor would see him tolerating that position . I think he'll be fine with everything because Posey will move to some other position. The NL doesn't (yet) have a DH role so these long term contracts are a little more interesting to evaluate.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cabrera is already moved over to 1st base this year, he's done at third, except perhaps spot starts. I think Nick Castellanos is their 3B.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just simply not true. A rising tide carries all ships. Pablo's price just went up.

But, hey, thanks for trundling over to our board and taking a backhanded swipe at the Panda.

Using a wall street moniker doesn't make it true. Your ship is a little heavier and doesn't float a well. What is true is that players' salaries are on the rise due to the increase in TV $$$$. What is also true is that the elite players income will rise disproportionately to average players (feel free to draw your own inference here).

If saying that Pablo's isn't as talented as Miggy is an insult, then there are a lot of insulted hitters in the MLB.
Feel free to trundle back to that active Tigger board.

Awww, did I hurt your feelings? I didn't realize that the Giants' board was solely the property of those on the peninsula. I guess those of us across the bay aren't entitled to an opinion. Pablo or not, good luck overtaking the Dodgers anytime soon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using a wall street moniker doesn't make it true. Your ship is a little heavier and doesn't float a well. What is true is that players' salaries are on the rise due to the increase in TV $$$$. What is also true is that the elite players income will rise disproportionately to average players (feel free to draw your own inference here).

If saying that Pablo's isn't as talented as Miggy is an insult, then there are a lot of insulted hitters in the MLB.

I am not sure there is anyone who says Panda is in the same category as Miggy. Miggy is in a VERY small group of players that include himself, Trout, Posey, and MAYBE Cano and Giancarlo (and a few others). However, just because you are not a "Face of MLB" type player does not mean you are not "elite". Panda is in the lower tier of "elite" players, or at least he will be paid as if he were come this off-season.

As I stated earlier, that does not put him in the 30 per or the 25 per, or maybe even the 20 per neighborhoods, but it certainly puts him in the Pence (5/90) neighborhood. I did not think that 2 days ago, but the Miggy deal has convinced me that he is.

The big question now is whether the Giants want to be the team that gives him that contract or not.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Panda's doing cartwheels right now because this just raised his price. Panda's not as good as Miggy, but Miggy's deal certainly has an effect on the rest of the market. If an A+ level player is now making 30 million/year, then you can be sure that all the B+ to A- players are looking to get a big raise, too.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure there is anyone who says Panda is in the same category as Miggy. Miggy is in a VERY small group of players that include himself, Trout, Posey, and MAYBE Cano and Giancarlo (and a few others). However, just because you are not a "Face of MLB" type player does not mean you are not "elite". Panda is in the lower tier of "elite" players, or at least he will be paid as if he were come this off-season.

As I stated earlier, that does not put him in the 30 per or the 25 per, or maybe even the 20 per neighborhoods, but it certainly puts him in the Pence (5/90) neighborhood. I did not think that 2 days ago, but the Miggy deal has convinced me that he is.

The big question now is whether the Giants want to be the team that gives him that contract or not.
Does that mean that he will get another boost if Trout signs for $400MM? I'm not saying panda isn't a great player. All I'm saying is the market is moving fast for everyone. Almost every player that signed this off-season got signed for more than expected (except maybe Drew). My point I'd that he may very well get Pence money next year but the year difference is huge.

Also, the Giants are at a disadvantage because they have to try to keep up with the Dodgers whereas the Tigers benefit by being in a poor division.