• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Heat Off-Season Thread

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if oden is smart.. he goes pelicans. at this point in his career guaranteed money is huge. he hurts a knee again, he wont see any cash.

but i do hope he comes to miami.

Very true. Yet, the Heat won't rely on Oden that much during the regular season which will grant him the opportunity to ease back into it. The Heat have also taking on other reclamation projects (Curry being the latest) to bolster the likelihood of Oden having success. Add into the fact that everyone just seems to play better with Lebron has to also be enticing as well. If Oden has a rather productive postseason campaign then it would allow me to command more in the open free agency market next season which could be big considering all other legit centers are locked up contractually.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami hasnt made any splash at all this FA period.. Not to happy about that. I know we are champs, but after every season the other teams make changes to beat you, we didnt do anything to change... Oden can be a huge lift and I said back when we first signed the Big 3 that if they could get Oden, they could be an unstoppable team.. Ill stand by that mark, but not making any other changes can hurt us... If they do sign Oden, I hope that means the end of Bosh at the 5.. Start Birdman and bring Oden off the bench, that way Bosh goes back to where he is productive and can do something.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami hasnt made any splash at all this FA period.. Not to happy about that. I know we are champs, but after every season the other teams make changes to beat you, we didnt do anything to change... Oden can be a huge lift and I said back when we first signed the Big 3 that if they could get Oden, they could be an unstoppable team.. Ill stand by that mark, but not making any other changes can hurt us... If they do sign Oden, I hope that means the end of Bosh at the 5.. Start Birdman and bring Oden off the bench, that way Bosh goes back to where he is productive and can do something.

I understand what you are saying, but what possibly could they have done?

They got players like Allen and Bird to stay, which was about the best we could hope for, other then possibly adding Oden.

They aren't going to be in any hurry to spend that 3.2M, because with the luxury tax, it turns into a much bigger investment for Arison.
Its only going to be spent if they felt the player they are adding could be a difference maker, not just a player to sit at the end of the bench.

avalon2423

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is the day we find out if Oden chooses Miami. LOL.. funny how I am excited about a guy who hasnt played in 3 years lol..

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Today is the day we find out if Oden chooses Miami. LOL.. funny how I am excited about a guy who hasnt played in 3 years lol..

It's amazing that everyone wants to know where he's going....including myself!

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine now
Sources close to process tell ESPN that Greg Oden has agreed to two-year minimum deal with Miami Heat with player option in Year 2

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official - The Heat have added Greg Oden on a 2 year deal and for cheap... Pat Riley does it again... I have a feeling things are going to get better for this kid while he plays for us!

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im glad he went Miami. i just hope his knees hold up. miami has a good enough team to bring him along slowly.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Oden won't be one of those guys on the Heat that gets added to the team just to sit on the bench all year long and play in garbagge time when he can actually contribute more and better than other guys... With this, the scrub that is Shane Battier should now be removed for the Spo's "power-rotation" and be made to play in garbagge time only, or if he is going to play signifcant minutes still, to do so by playing him in the proper situations and positions... The power rotation isnt for a small, weak scrub like him

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, hope it works out for Oden - while im all for bringing him along slow... i hope we can use him early and often when the season comes around

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im glad he went Miami. i just hope his knees hold up. miami has a good enough team to bring him along slowly.

I think he'll be fine. We probably won't see him play too many minutes initially. But I can see him being more apart of the regular rotation come post-All star break. At that point he'll still be fresh and he can be used against Indiana and Chicago - while also preserving his body. The fact that he's down to 275 lbs. as opposed to when he was 300+ in Portland is a positive. But we'll have to wait and see....I'm not a doctor, but I trust the staff.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat still have 3.2 million in exception available to them - Mo Williams and Lamar Odom, Dahntay Jones are thought of as the main options they might want to pursue? Any perefences among these guys?

What needs to be said is, Riles plan of waiting late in FA to make moves has worked yet again. People panicked when moves weren't made early and often, but he did his thing.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Heat still have 3.2 million in exception available to them - Mo Williams and Lamar Odom, Dahntay Jones are thought of as the main options they might want to pursue? Any perefences among these guys?

What needs to be said is, Riles plan of waiting late in FA to make moves has worked yet again. People panicked when moves weren't made early and often, but he did his thing.

Riley knew the Heat was on top of Odens list, so of course he had to wait it out.

As far as the other players you named, it gets tricky, because it won't cost just Arison 3.2M. You need to consider the luxury tax hit.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the options still on the board, I'd rather go after Mo Williams for a plethora of reasons.

1. Gives the Heat more PG depth.
2. He's the best 3-point shooter of the bunch.
3. Gives the Heat a longer term option should Rio head somewhere else next season via free agency.

Dahntay Jones would be my 2nd preference, although I heard he's the better defender (haven't seen him play as much). Lamar Odom is washed up and is just looking for a pay check. I wwould rather not see him on this team.

I heard Ronnie Brewer is another option still available. I thought he was still signed with the Thunder.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mo Williams simply because he would bring a veteran presence to the position, which at times might be necessary.

My second preference(s) would be either Dahntay Jones or Ronnie Brewer... Would love to somehow have both... Both are solid defenders that we could really use.

I agree with the points on Lamar Odom, he is beyond done... Sad it didnt really work out for him as a Heat when he was here

Some more Heat news regarind another possible addition AND joel anthony here:

Après les Clippers, Yakhouba Diawara testé par Miami

Former Portland Trail Blazers center and No. 1 NBA Draft pick Greg Oden makes NBA free agency decision. - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshawn Stevenson is interested in signing with the Miami Heat.
According to multiple NBA related pages on facebook and twitter

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And a bizarre twist....DeShawn Stevenson wants to be on the Heat....

dsteve92 & JMarie ‏@DSteve92JMarie 5h
Miami Heat Where I Wanna Go!!! Lebron Make it Happen

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind signing him. He can play the Mike Miller role but he is a good defender. He and Battier would be the top 2 defenders off the bench. I would only do it for the min.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^^ agree 100%.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heat second-round pick James Ennis is likely headed overseas, his agent told me last week and reiterated again tonight. The Heat doesn't want to pay more than $2 million (including $1.5 million in taxes) on a player it isn't sure is ready to contribute. And the Heat believes he needs more time to develop.

The Heat would retain his rights if he plays overseas, and the team told agent Scott Nichols it envisions him being a member of the 2014-15 Heat.

The Heat, which has 13 players signed to guaranteed contracts and Jarvis Varnado signed to a non-guaranteed deal, is $19 million over the luxury tax thresold. Ennis was the 50th pick in this past June's draft and was acquired on a draft night deal with Atlanta.

He's a strong finisher and good defender but needs more work on his ball-handling and defense. Last year's Heat second round pick, center Justin Hamilton, also played overseas last year. He couldn't play in summer league this year because of a hamstring injury but has been working with the Heat this summer.

Read more here: 7 p.m. update: Fins give huge contract to Jones; Thigpen on radar; Heat's Ennis looks overseas; Canes | Sports Buzz