• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mez and Gus have got to go

sanfrand

FFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are horrible!! As I watched them both look like deers lost in the headlights, Mez is just slow and has virtually no reflexes whatsoever. Gus gets caught out of position on every other play. Trade Mez and maybe keep Gus because he's young and may have long term potential with some work. Any other thoughts?

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are horrible!! As I watched them both look like deers lost in the headlights, Mez is just slow and has virtually no reflexes whatsoever. Gus gets caught out of position on every other play. Trade Mez and maybe keep Gus because he's young and may have long term potential with some work. Any other thoughts?

I doubt they rush to move Gus given his potential and low salary. The problem with Mez now becomes the fact that by playing poorly he's reduced his trade value even further. Will any other teams be willing to take a chance on him? I suspect the Flyers will have to sweeten the pot either with a prospect/draft pick or by eating some of his salary.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the OP, add Gervais to the list as well. They are more like liabilities than actual assets. I would much rather play Oliver Lauridsen than any of those 3 if I'm the Flyers. Oliver Lauridsen really should set the standard on who stays and who goes.

sanfrand

FFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree. I think that kid is really going to be something special. Gervais is fair but definitely nothing to write home about. Hal Gill is a huge question mark. He is a good player but getting a little old.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree. I think that kid is really going to be something special. Gervais is fair but definitely nothing to write home about. Hal Gill is a huge question mark. He is a good player but getting a little old.

I actually like what Hal Gill can bring to the Flyers, someone who could help the goalie out some. Did a lot of great things for my Pens as well as the Preds. He's slow & old, but if used right I think he can be quite the asset to the team.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like what Hal Gill can bring to the Flyers, someone who could help the goalie out some. Did a lot of great things for my Pens as well as the Preds. He's slow & old, but if used right I think he can be quite the asset to the team.

I'm pulling for Gill. I actually think he has played very well so far in preseason, better than both Mez and Gus. I don't think he will make the team unfortunately.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pulling for Gill. I actually think he has played very well so far in preseason, better than both Mez and Gus. I don't think he will make the team unfortunately.

You're probably right, Flyers are sort of in the same situation as the Pens, gotta give the guys with big contracts the roster spots regardless of whether or not other players would be better for the team.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh, i gotta say doob your love of lauridsen blows my mind.. he's played 15 NHL games on a team that essentially abandonded offense late in the season last year because they had a defense full of AHL-ers after injuries to their regulars.. he looked solid, but nothing amazing.. i really hope you're right and he does pan out to be a great one, i just think it's far too early to decide that.. but PLEASE be right!

i didn't watch the game, but mesz has proven in the past that he is a quality NHL dman, a rough preseason game or 2 doesn't sway my opinion of him at all. gus on the other hand.. i'm hopeful he can replicate his late spring form from last year, but he's so up and down it's hard to figure him out.. he's either really good, or really really bad.. in his defense though, pairing him with streit was a recipe for trouble.. neither are that good defensively

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heh, i gotta say doob your love of lauridsen blows my mind.. he's played 15 NHL games on a team that essentially abandonded offense late in the season last year because they had a defense full of AHL-ers after injuries to their regulars.. he looked solid, but nothing amazing.. i really hope you're right and he does pan out to be a great one, i just think it's far too early to decide that.. but PLEASE be right!

i didn't watch the game, but mesz has proven in the past that he is a quality NHL dman, a rough preseason game or 2 doesn't sway my opinion of him at all. gus on the other hand.. i'm hopeful he can replicate his late spring form from last year, but he's so up and down it's hard to figure him out.. he's either really good, or really really bad.. in his defense though, pairing him with streit was a recipe for trouble.. neither are that good defensively

100% correct on Gust he's either really good or really bad.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't love the guy I just think he brings a lot more to the ice than most dmen on the Flyers. In those 15 games he played he made the Flyers a much better team in spite of the team being plagued with injuries. From the limited games I've seen of him he has impressed me more than Grossmann, Meszaros, Gervais, Gustufsson, & Manning did, this in spite of having less experience than they did. Also, his structure reminds me of Zdeno Chara, not saying he's Chara, but it always helps to have a giant at the blue line. Wouldn't be surprised if Lauridsen was the reason they took Samuel Morin with the 11th pick.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mez and Gusty will be fine its preseason things always look shitty we just get to watch it all now haha! I do like Laurd as well I think he brings a different dimension to the Flyers D. He will be back up at some point. I'm just hoping that the Fwd lines click.