• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Message Board Braggin' Rights League

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey @broncosmitty How you doing

giphy.gif
Close to that.

My Aunt gave me a ride home.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had Atleast 60 yards receiving.

But the Lions suck.

Still see him starting before Famous Jameis. Dirk isn't gonna get canned with talent riding the pine.

I would take that bet.

Dirk will surely get canned if his RB is averaging less than 1 yard per carry.

As for the receiving stats, reports I have read say Jones has struggled horribly in pass protection. So those numbers aren't saving him either. Because a RB that can't pass protect can't be on the field on passing downs.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take that bet.

As for the receiving stats, reports I have read say Jones has struggled horribly in pass protection. So those numbers aren't saving him either. Because a RB that can't pass protect can't be on the field on passing downs.

You'd think Buffalo would feel the same way about their RT.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take that bet.

yep, indications are 3down rb

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirk isn't gonna get canned with talent riding the pine.

But is he though? Is it talent, or is it just draft stock that everyone thought might be talent?

Plenty of time for the kid to prove otherwise before he uses up that draft stock, for sure. But it'll take some serious production out of those 2-5 touches a week he might get, in repetitive weeks, in addition to Barber face planting, to sniff the starting gig.

Don't forget, the talent on the bench comment, works both ways. Barber was no slouch when finally given an opportunity. He was significantly better than Chris Carson, and so many think Carson is just fine to roll with and let Penny sit around. Why would he let that talent ride the pine?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is he though? Is it talent, or is it just draft stock that everyone thought might be talent?

Plenty of time for the kid to prove otherwise before he uses up that draft stock, for sure. But it'll take some serious production out of those 2-5 touches a week he might get, in repetitive weeks, in addition to Barber face planting, to sniff the starting gig.

Don't forget, the talent on the bench comment, works both ways. Barber was no slouch when finally given an opportunity. He was significantly better than Chris Carson, and so many think Carson is just fine to roll with and let Penny sit around. Why would he let that talent ride the pine?
Don’t use logic!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meh Barber played in more games, thus more work, but I’m not seeing him being “significantly better” then Carson . Certainly his average per carry says otherwise.Also would point out that the Seahawks with a injury riddle OL was possibly the worst in the league last year.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh Barber played in more games, thus more work, but I’m not seeing him being “significantly better” then Carson . Certainly his average per carry says otherwise.Also would point out that the Seahawks with a injury riddle OL was possibly the worst in the league last year.
games as "the starter"
Barber 5
Carter 3
Yards per game as the starter-
Barber - 67
Carter - 56
Ypc as the starter
Barber - 4.29
Carter -3.9
50+ yard games as a starter-
Barber 5 for 5
Carter 1 of 3

Significantly might be stretching it a bit..but better none the less, plus Penny is a first, and Jones is a second, and Penny had more success in his one game than Jones did in all four combined.

So why is Carson held in higher regard than Barber?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
games as "the starter"
Barber 5
Carter 3
Barber - 67
Carter - 56
Ypc as the starter
Barber - 4.29
Carter -3.9
Barber 5 for 5
Carter 1 of 3

Significantly might be stretching it a bit..but better none the less, plus Penny is a first, and Jones is a second, and Penny had more success in his one game than Jones did in all four combined.

and y is it ok carson starts but not barber?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
games as "the starter"
Barber 5
Carter 3
Barber - 67
Carter - 56
Ypc as the starter
Barber - 4.29
Carter -3.9
Barber 5 for 5
Carter 1 of 3

games as "the starter"
Barber 5
Carter 3
Barber - 67
Carter - 56
Ypc as the starter
Barber - 4.29
Carter -3.9
Barber 5 for 5
Carter 1 of 3

Carson averaged 4.1 in the four games, he wasn't the starter in his best game, thus " as the starter" stats I guess. IDK if Carson is held in higher regard at all, excepting Seahawks fans of course. Fantasy Pros have Barber ranked one notch above Carson in standard ranking. These are the kind of RBs you use when in dire need. At least they are starters right? That's worth something. I will say I see Seahawks as a team that really wants to run the ball, not sure if the Bucs are as committed to that.
Also I do agree Penny> Jones, but he also needs to work on pass blocking. He needs to learn to say in shape if he wants the starter gig, putting on 15 LBs this summer was not the way you win the starter job

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson averaged 4.1 in the four games, he wasn't the starter in his best game, thus " as the starter" stats I guess. IDK if Carson is held in higher regard at all, excepting Seahawks fans of course. Fantasy Pros have Barber ranked one notch above Carson in standard ranking. These are the kind of RBs you use when in dire need. At least they are starters right? That's worth something. I will say I see Seahawks as a team that really wants to run the ball, not sure if the Bucs are as committed to that.
Also I do agree Penny> Jones, but he also needs to work on pass blocking. He needs to learn to say in shape if he wants the starter gig, putting on 15 LBs this summer was not the way you win the starter job
I guess I was mostly referring to various conversations here, more so than the "expert" rankings. It really seems as though many around here feel safer with Carson than with Penny. And given the similarity of the situations, the available evidence points to a completely opposite answer, I'm just curious as to why.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly what I hear about the Seahawks backfield is to stay away from it. Maybe those comments just stick with me more because I’m a homer. As for Barber vs Jones, I really think it has more to do on the initial opinion of Jones. If you thought he was good, well then your probably not ready to change your mind yet. If you thought he was a under sized RB with no pass catching abilities or blocking ability then your likely to see Barber as a better bet. Then their are those that hope they don’t need to invest in the Bucs backfield anymore then the Seahawks backfield. :dhd:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have paid almost zero attention to Seattle's backfield situation. Like NE, I wasn't going to touch it. I don't own a single Pat or Hawk. Lol. Would've taken Edelman late, but never got the chance late enough.

You think they give him 2-5 touches per week? I really don't see this black hole he's found. Maybe, but I just don't see it. Players who cost that type of draft pick are given opportunity in more than preseason work. Sometimes for years and years. Could be running backs who were drafted in the first ten picks of the second that never were ridden, or even featured. But I'd think it'd take an injury.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take that bet.

Preseason stats arent something I ever go into much. It's four games, that don't count.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's ready for some Fantasy Football!!!???

giphy.gif

Week 1 vs. @MilkSpiller22

ZgARPzR.png

I have a creeping suspicion that he's going to surprise me this week.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for transparency sake, I didn't include week one for Carson because I didn't watch every play of it. And we've all seen those "backups" come on 3rd and 20 and rip off 15 yards on a draw. So not knowing how it happened, I treated it more as an abberation in the data then comparable. I did the same with Barber's 2 TD game, didn't think it was fair to include the TD numbers either

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason stats arent something I ever go into much. It's four games, that don't count.

Preseason stats don't matter at all for established players. They matter quite a bit for rookies fighting for jobs and/or roles.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Preseason stats don't matter at all for established players. They matter quite a bit for rookies fighting for jobs and/or roles.
I really doubt decisions are made by coaching staffs based on preseason numbers. Opportunity to put up numbers is gonna be based on a lot of things. But stats from the four games, imo, won't be impactful.

I watched Zach Zenner lead the league in rushing as a rookie, in the preseason. In games that count he only gets carries because somebody has to get carries. Wish he could stay healthy, he's a solid football player.