• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Meet our 1st round pick--Laken Tomlinson

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an out of leftfield pick only because NO ONE saw this coming. Some times we get all too caught up in what the media hypes, even coming from Detroit Lions.com writers O'Hara and Twentyman or any others.

I'm all

0052.gif

that we added talent and depth at G and C all in one swoop. They got it right on Warford. Now, for those who want to bitch that Warford was a 3rd round pick and Tomlinson was seen as 2nd/early 3rd round OG and we just spent our 1st round pick on him. Well, take the wait and see approach.

One other approach to the Ramirez pick is that Swanson still has someone who played C and could very well still offer a lot of insight and guidance for Swanson along the way.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with it. There was no one there I REALLY wanted anyways. Thought they'd take Coleman.

Would LOVE Grady Jarrett. That's my dude.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy seems like a solid pick. Smart no character issues and fills a hole.

I am really wondering what the story with Collins actually is. If he was not a person of interest or had a rock solid alibi I would have thought the end of the first would have been a steal for him.

Rae Curruth?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am really wondering what the story with Collins actually is. If he was not a person of interest or had a rock solid alibi I would have thought the end of the first would have been a steal for him.

Rae Curruth?

Doesn't look good at all for him. Sounds like the NFL knows more than the public right now.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rae Curruth?
Could quite possibly be that the teams didn't have enough info to go on. Teams may not want to take a chance on a guy that could be facing a long time in prison, and never step foot on the field. That would be a huge waste of a very important 1st round pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved trading back and picking up a couple 5th rounder, as well as Manny Ramirez. It seemed to me the Lions filled a need and only moved back 5 spots to do, while picking up some ammunition with the 5th rounders to move up in the 2nd if they want to try.

Where they lost me is -- why get Ramirez in a trade, then draft another Guard in the 1st round? I don't hate the pick, I actually wanted them to get Tomlinson -- they just did so 1 or 2 rounds too early, imo.

Would have rather they pick Malcolm Brown, but it is what it is. Seems like a safe pick and one that will hopefully make the OL better and they needed it.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still act as if we know more than these guys. Tomlinson wouldn't have been available in the second round, given the way Olinemen were coming off the board. Obviously the Lions board is different from the fans and the media. I actually perfer what Lions did here talking than drafting someone like Collins there.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liked the trade if we didn't want Ray - get a starting center, two fifth-rounders, and the guy you would have taken anyways. Guess Swanson isn't viewed as starting material.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOVE this move by Mayhew... Lions had lots of holes and need depth for sure. Upgraded OL with Tomlinson. Character impeccable, plus saw a lot of tape of him, and he is definitely pro material and looks a lot like Warford on film, but with more (major pro-bowl) upside in pass protection. Plus they get backup OL depth with Ramirez for no charge. Plus they get two extra 5th round selections (one this year, one next) which could help add depth elsewhere, draft collateral, trade material, etc. They maybe could have taken M. Brown at DT, but he wasn't the best DT in this draft where Tomlinson is definitely going to be the best guard. Regardless, trading back 5 places gives them more chips at the draft table now and the best part is that the top 160 still has plenty of talent and depth at DT and RB. Finally, after last year's first round gaff they learned how make a decent calculated move.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved trading back and picking up a couple 5th rounder, as well as Manny Ramirez. It seemed to me the Lions filled a need and only moved back 5 spots to do, while picking up some ammunition with the 5th rounders to move up in the 2nd if they want to try.

Where they lost me is -- why get Ramirez in a trade, then draft another Guard in the 1st round? I don't hate the pick, I actually wanted them to get Tomlinson -- they just did so 1 or 2 rounds too early, imo.

Would have rather they pick Malcolm Brown, but it is what it is. Seems like a safe pick and one that will hopefully make the OL better and they needed it.
Pretty much how I feel.

Glad we got Tomlinson just surprised it was on Thursday.

Loved the trade down approach.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Tomlinson as one of my scenarios as a round 2 selection. Obviously someone on the staff had a boner for this kid. This smells of Caldwell to me. We have 3 huge run blocking guys for the middle of the O-line. Not exactly the nimble pass-pro guys that Lombardi wants for his offense.

We will be changing our name to the RavenLions at any time now. All kidding aside, I think maybe there will be a rotation because these guys are so big they may not be able to play an entire possesion without switching in an out for a series or 2.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a rotation happening.

Even if there isn't, depth is nice.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Tomlinson as one of my scenarios as a round 2 selection. Obviously someone on the staff had a boner for this kid. This smells of Caldwell to me. We have 3 huge run blocking guys for the middle of the O-line. Not exactly the nimble pass-pro guys that Lombardi wants for his offense.

We will be changing our name to the RavenLions at any time now. All kidding aside, I think maybe there will be a rotation because these guys are so big they may not be able to play an entire possesion without switching in an out for a series or 2.
Seems it would be easier just to let an O-lineman stay on the field than to have him run to the sidelines, take one play off, then have him run his fatass out there again. Defeats the purpose of resting him. ;)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think this smells of Lombardi more than Caldwell. It seems they are trying to use the Saints approach from back in their super bowl days of building the line from the inside/out -- as the Saints did with Nicks and Jahri Evans.

I can't say I do not like the pick, I just think he was someone you could have picked up in the 2nd round. The part that I do love -- they went away from the BPA approach and filled a big need that had to upgraded.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the trade down approach.

Yep -- I loved seeing Detroit traded back. Now, if they want to try and move up in the 2nd -- they have some picks they can use or they can stand pat if there isn't anyone they feel they must have.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep -- I loved seeing Detroit traded back. Now, if they want to try and move up in the 2nd -- they have some picks they can use or they can stand pat if there isn't anyone they feel they must have.

Yup, me too. I called this weeks ago (pats self on back) as there were just too many teams that would need to trade up to fill a need at a skill position. I thought it could also be the pats at NT too.

Doing this though opens up what we can do now for the rest of the draft so trying to predict anything from here on out will be tough unless we trade back up and rid ourselves of those pesky extra draft picks, LOL.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still act as if we know more than these guys. Tomlinson wouldn't have been available in the second round, given the way Olinemen were coming off the board.

There is a difference between Tackles coming off the board, which is very common in the 1st round and Guards.

I actually like the player we picked. Very high character and fills a huge need. The highest I saw him rated was mid-40. Most had him in the back end of the 2nd-top of the 3rd range. In the end -- I would MUCH rather see someone like Tomlinson drafted than a skill position player -- so I say it was a successful 1st round. So we reached a little for him. I like safe and productive over flashy with issues all day long. :)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the part many are missing on why we drafted Tomlinson is -- they need someone to break down the complexities of Lombardi's blocking schemes. If an OL, whose fall back plan after the NFL, is to go to Med School at Duke to become a neurosurgeon has issues learning the blocking schemes -- It is time for Lombardi to hit the road.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the part many are missing on why we drafted Tomlinson is -- they need someone to break down the complexities of Lombardi's blocking schemes. If an OL, whose fall back plan after the NFL, is to go to Med School at Duke to become a neurosurgeon has issues learning the blocking schemes -- It is time for Lombardi to hit the road.

Maybe he can actually explain blocking schemes to Lombardi. That might solve the problem.