• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Media Rating for NCG hit new low

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday, west coast kickoff.

This played a part too. They just need to avoid the west coast or play the game on a weekend at 3pm if you're gonna have it out there.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first playoff championship drew a lot of viewers because it was something new in general, not because of the teams involved. In perspective, the highest ratings for the BCS CG was in 2011 with a 16.1. The rest of the playoff championship games have been a lot closer to the average of the BCS championship games overall.
While the "newness" of it did probably play into it, I disagree that the teams involved didn't have any effect. Just look at the Rose Bowl numbers this year, and the top rated games this year, and most years. OSU draws.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. CFB needs to change and other teams have to get to that level. But how do you do that? Right now no one looks to even have a shot at getting to their level any time soon. Maybe a few teams like OU, OSU, Mich?, UG? but there's clearly a gap between those two and everyone else.

Game specific issues -- it's on a fricken Monday night at 8pm, and with commercials and everything took FOREVER. I fell asleep during the boring as shit halftime thing.
You have me until you included Mi in your list. :dhd:

Reactions: gob

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before "it's because of the kneeling players"

Neilcar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The rating "share" is what the Networks guarantee the advertisers who buy the commercial time slots for the programs. The general thought (today) is the "share" is the same across the entire media … (that is -- the total number of people streaming is distributed roughly the same)

Though I feel there will be further discussion in that regard.

--- In General (let's say) if the sponsors pay for a 14.0 share program and the Networks deliver --- the sponsors' are happy. If the Networks don't get the targeted "share" the sponsors' want some money back...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have me until you included Mi in your list. :dhd:
I put a question mark there. We have the recruited talent. Are consistently winning 10 games. I don't think it's unreasonable to include us in a group of a few schools below Alabama and Clemson. There aren't many teams outside of that who are even able to compete talent-wise.

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday Night is the stupidest night out of everything you can pick.

Saturday. This final game needs to be played on Saturday.
I could agree with this. I didn't watch it because I'm tired of Bama. But if it was on a Saturday I would have been more likely to have a couple of drinks and tune in.

Last edited:

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so just because it avoids the nfl playoffs and many are used to watching football on Mondays anyways. I'm guessing a Friday night isn't ideal and I'm not sure what other night you'd pick.

MACaction Tuesdays work for me

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monday, west coast kickoff.

This played a part too. They just need to avoid the west coast or play the game on a weekend at 3pm if you're gonna have it out there.

Where the game was played wouldn’t impact the TV ratings. They’d play the game at the same time, regardless. In other words, they didn’t start the game at that time because the game was being held on the West Coast; they did so in an attempt to maximize the number of viewers across the country.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where the game was played wouldn’t impact the TV ratings. They’d play the game at the same time, regardless. In other words, they didn’t start the game at that time because the game was being held on the West Coast; they did so in an attempt to maximize the number of viewers across the country.

Exactly. Last year’s game was in Atlanta (THREE time zones east of Cali), and the game started at the same time.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put a question mark there. We have the recruited talent. Are consistently winning 10 games. I don't think it's unreasonable to include us in a group of a few schools below Alabama and Clemson. There aren't many teams outside of that who are even able to compete talent-wise.

Sorry but MI has been to exactly 0 CFP's. They aren't close to that grouping of Alabama-Clemson. They lose almost every big game they play in. They lost to ND and Ohio St. ND got crushed by Clemson. They got crushed by Ohio St. 10 wins doesn't mean shit, if you are truly a national contender each year you are getting closer to Clemson and Bama.

Georgia
Ohio St
Oklahoma

At this point, I don't see any other in that grouping. These teams have been in the conversation the last 2-3 years at least or every year of the CFP. Michigan has never been in that conversation.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about those who cut the cord and streamed the game?
To stream it, don't you have to sign in to an ESPN ap with a cable provider? Wouldn't they count those?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but MI has been to exactly 0 CFP's. They aren't close to that grouping of Alabama-Clemson. They lose almost every big game they play in. They lost to ND and Ohio St. ND got crushed by Clemson. They got crushed by Ohio St. 10 wins doesn't mean shit, if you are truly a national contender each year you are getting closer to Clemson and Bama.

Georgia
Ohio St
Oklahoma

At this point, I don't see any other in that grouping. These teams have been in the conversation the last 2-3 years at least or every year of the CFP. Michigan has never been in that conversation.
You literally just listed the last 3 teams out this year.

There are a handful of teams with enough recent success and enough recruited talent to be on the same level as Clemson and Bama, but aren't for various reasons. None of them are at that level, playoff birth or not. Reminder; last time OSU went to the playoff they scored 0 points. It's basically Bama, Clemson and then a group of a few teams on the outside looking in (yes, some are slightly better off than others but any given year it's going to be up in the air)

I'd put that list at:

OU
OSU
UGA
UM
PSU
ND

And maybe a team like LSU. But the list is short and none of those teams are really anywhere near Clemson and Bama. It's a pretty significant gap IMO.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the "newness" of it did probably play into it, I disagree that the teams involved didn't have any effect. Just look at the Rose Bowl numbers this year, and the top rated games this year, and most years. OSU draws.

The Rose Bowl is on New Year's Day in which a lot more people are off of work, along with the favorable time of day in which it's played so that people on the east coast can watch the game and still get a good night's sleep before work on the 2nd. Much like Saturday games throughout the year. Of course it would have a higher TV rating on average than a Monday night game or a playoff game that would also contend with NFL playoffs.

That spike in ratings for the 2015 game has more to attribute to newness of the playoffs versus the fact OSU was involved. Do you think that if Bama or Clemson was in that game instead of OSU that it would automatically dropped down a couple ratings points?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck competing against the nfl.
Could have done the semis Dec 22 and NCG the 29th. The titoe gaje doesn't have to be the past game played. In fact it may help ratings if it's not . A lot of people quit caring about CFB quite as much when their team is finished . Maybe playing the title game before the other big bowls helps keep more people engaged

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just play the titoe game on new years day every year since that day is traditional to cfb

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could have done the semis Dec 22 and NCG the 29th. The titoe gaje doesn't have to be the past game played. In fact it may help ratings if it's not . A lot of people quit caring about CFB quite as much when their team is finished . Maybe playing the title game before the other big bowls helps keep more people engaged
That's as good of an idea as any.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It drew a 14.6 (view-ship declined after the 1st half with the casual viewer just checking scores)
The 1st Playoff NCG with Ohio St. vs. Oregon drew a 18.9 in 2015, and in 2016 Alabama vs Clemson drew a 15.3.

Some are suggesting a real fatigue with another Alabama -- Clemson match-up … also some discussion about 2 teams from the same region didn't help in viewership Nation-wide …

It didn't help being on a work day.