• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mebert's take aways (I know you all care)

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Martin started very poorly, but at least he ended the game with an awesome punt.
2. Pettigrew should move to the role the Lions wanted Williams to do. He is still a positive while blocking.
3. Reggie Bush is freaking awesome.
4. Fuck Suh. I am tired of him talking about growing up. He just needs to fucking do it.
5. Minus the 1st play the Lion D looked good
6. Burleson was solid once again(Even if this board hates him)
7. Levy looked real good
8. Both of our "leaders" on defense got stupid 15 yard penalties and that is a shame
9. Offense looks really really good....before the redzone
10. Lions had a great half of play, if they start playing entire games then watch out.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh got a penalty on a block that would have been legal last year. Not really that big of a deal.
Delmas got a penalty for jawing to another player in front of the refs.
Yeah Martin missed the hold but his punts were solid all game.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Martin missed the hold but his punts were solid all game.

The snap was bad, but he also shanked a punt. He did end very strong though, I have high hopes for him.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good:

I have to give huge props to Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. Almost 300 yards of offense between the 2 guys and 3 tds, most impressive being 27 carries for 115 yards on the ground. I highly doubt LeShoure will even see the field if those two stay healthy.

Huge props to the Lions front 7 -- after Peterson's 78 yard 1st carry -- they held the all-world RB to 15 yards on 17 carries the rest of the way. They also created havoc much of the day. Fairley looked the best I've seen him look in a Lions uniform, with 5 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a fumble recovery.

Stafford looked great today -- his only INT was on a batted pass and he spread the ball around to everyone. He finished 28 for 43, but even that is misleading, because the Lions had 6 drops today. I think he is going to have another monster year.

De'Andre Levy played a tremendous game -- leading the Lions in tackles and playing solid all around. He should have had a pick 6, if it weren't for Suh's mental mistake.

Detroit offensive line -- they did really good protecting Stafford and I don't remember them even giving up a sack, other than the bizarre Stafford bootleg, where Allen was gifted a sack. They also did a great job opening up holes for the RBs. Individual props to Reiff for winning the battle against Jared Allen.

The Bad:

Lack of discipline/dumb penalties. it didn't cost them today, but they just can't continue to give away free yards and overturn big plays. It keeps drives alive and gives life to the other team -- it also takes points off the board in the case of the INT by Levy. At what point does Schwartz get control of the team.

The big play. Once again -- it didn't cost us today, but it seems like we give up at least one big play every game. As I said in the beginning though -- the defense really bounced back after the 1st play from scrimmage, so mad props on that.

Sam Martin. He could be on both the good and the bad. The good -- he did boom one punt 55 yards and pin Minny at the 1 on another. He shanks the other two punts though 29 yards and 33 yards, while fumbling the snap on the 1st field goal attempt. Hopefully this is more of a case of the 1st game jitters and we see more of the booming punts.

All in all -- I REALLY liked what I saw from the team. They ran the ball well and proved they can pile up yards without relying solely on Calvin Johnson. The defense looked really good. If this team can cut out the mental mistakes and dumb penalties -- they can do some real damage this year, I think.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iAHwSscUaJuCz.gif

hiphopbell.gif

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah and suh didn't pick up a single personal foul last year. so i am going to let him slid on that play today but i have my eye on him.
as for the rest of the team i was really proud they held in there and didn't give up. they made a huge turnover and converted so bring the game tight before the half.

reggie was amazing and is redefining the way teams will play us. the vikings came in with the old playbook to stop calvin and the 10-15 yard routes and got murdered by bush and bell taking 3 yard receptions and moving the chains. the defense hold for the first blown run held peterson to .88 YPC and got great pressure form the dline.

overall B+ great 2nd half put it all together and we are dangerous

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairley looked the best I've seen him look in a Lions uniform, with 5 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a fumble recovery.

That sack where he stunted was amazing, players that big and strong are not supposed to be so agile.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sack where he stunted was amazing, players that big and strong are not supposed to be so agile.

Yeah -- he planted Ponder into the ground on that play. If he stays healthy -- he may have the best year of anyone on the DL.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fauria looks to be the real deal. He is a legit target that moves well for someone as big as he is! A legit field stretching TE would be huge. 3 catches for 27 and aTD from an UDFA.

While Scheffler gets the goose egg.

I hope Scheffler hears those foot steps coming from behind on the depth chart!

WR's other than CJ stepped up.

Reiff did a very good job with a elite DE.

sunsguns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats on your win..should be a hot one in the desert next Sunday vs our Cards

Our Cardinals are MUCH better than last season, thanks to QB Carson Palmer. While we lost @ St Louis today 24-27, Palmer went 26/40 for 327 yards 2 TDs and 1 INT. That's the good news for Arizona. The bad news is that our LT Levi Brown once again proved today he is STILL the worst starting left tackle in the NFL....ugh! Imho, Levi Brown singlehandedly lost the game for the Cards today .... 1st time I've ever said that about an offensive lineman in my life, but he was indeed that stankin bad !

:doh:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you count up the blown Detroit points, there were three touchdowns and a field goal that the Lions should have had but didn’t. That’s 24 blown points. In a single half!

See if you can follow this. Between 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., the Lions fumbled a snap on a field goal, lost a touchdown because Johnson didn’t hang on long enough, blew another touchdown on an illegal block by Ndamukong Suh, dropped an interception that should have been a third touchdown, fumbled the ball away, threw an interception of their own, drew a holding penalty on a fourth-and-1, drew a taunting penalty after another holding penalty, couldn’t convert but one third down, needed instant replay to confirm that a Joique Bell-held football that came flying out like a bottle rocket had actually crossed the goal line — and, oh yeah, gave up a 78-yard touchdown on Peterson’s first carry of the season.

I think Mitch Albom summed up the follies in the 1st half perfectly. If the Lions can get a handle on the penalties and mistakes -- I think they are going to be a team that will be a tough game for anyone in the league.

If this was last year -- I believe you would have saw the Lions lose this type of game, but the team showed some serious resolve and just kept fighting and got the win.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has mentioned Sam Martin's kickoffs.

He boomed most of them out of the back of the endzone, and the ones that Patterson did decide to bring out from 8 yards deep did not end well for him.

That's huge having a guy who can take away that part of the opposition's return game.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He boomed most of them out of the back of the endzone, and the ones that Patterson did decide to bring out from 8 yards deep did not end well for him.

That's huge having a guy who can take away that part of the opposition's return game.

I didn't mention it here, but I did at the game. It's noticed, and I'm lovin every minute of it!!

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I meant to put that on the good part for Martin. Thank you for adding that in. If the opposing team can't return a kickoff, it is one less worry to have on special teams play.

He definitely showed he has a big leg yesterday -- he boomed that 55 yarder. Had a rough stretch at the beginning, but he made a big play late pinning the Vikings at 1.

Hopefully it was nothing more than 1st game jitters and we see alot more of those booming punts.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford looked great today -- his only INT was on a batted pass and he spread the ball around to everyone. He finished 28 for 43, but even that is misleading, because the Lions had 6 drops today. I think he is going to have another monster year.

Matt did look good (and the Vikings D looked really bad, too), but is anyone concerned about the number of Matt's passes that get tipped/batted away? I counted 3 yesterday, and I didn't even watch the whole game. (Had to listen in my car for a stretch.) Is it the sidearm thing? Seems like something he's got to correct.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt did look good (and the Vikings D looked really bad, too), but is anyone concerned about the number of Matt's passes that get tipped/batted away? I counted 3 yesterday, and I didn't even watch the whole game. (Had to listen in my car for a stretch.) Is it the sidearm thing? Seems like something he's got to correct.

No, it's simply the new way D lineman are being taught to play. JJ Watt made batting passes hip. Now everyone is doing it. It's just smart coaching.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest taken away and the most upsetting thing for me is the continued lack of discipline from this football team. Did I miss a new rule regarding touchdown celebrations or did we catch a break yesterday? I was suprised that both the Bell touchdown dance and the Bush throwing the ball into the stands didnt each get a 15 yard penalty.

Add in another damn taunting call and the stupidity of the Suh penalty and you get a huge turn in actual scoring of the game. Suh's penalty takes points off the board and the taunting moved the Vikes 15 yards forward on a scoring drive. Why??? How is this not coached out of this team and where is the veteran leadership?

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah occasionally stafford gets too cute and tends to get his passes tipped more than others but that really wasn't the case as the viklings just had long arms and good timing, frustrating but it happens and usually something stafford has quickly resolved in the past.
and i am definitely giving martin a pass on his rough early day punting this being his first regular season game ever. plus his excellence on kickoffs and that last punt which was half of the battle to seal the game.

and how could i have forgotten about reiff, the guy did great! he definitely fit the mold of if you do not screw up you do not get noticed. allen got some good pressure on 3rd down but reiff didn't let him get through. the big test is going to be on the trip out to minnessota to see how allen/reiff handle the adjustments they make on each other.