• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McElwain is officially out

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know it, I just know it doesn't happen very often. Though I should point out, OSU fired Tressel before the season and was lucky to have Urban locked up before the season was over.

Michigan waited until Dec. 2nd to fire Hoke and then it took a month to hire Harbaugh.

JFC...Urbs was IDLE, no? I think I addressed that.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I was just pointing that out. Sometimes it can work out even better than expected.

Like I said, Florida will not be announcing a new head coach before the end of the regular season (or CCG's) unless that coach is currently idle. Therefore no recruiting advantage.

Hiring an idle coach before the end of the regular season (CCG's) would be the only recruiting advantage.
Florida fired McElwain for cause. For economic reasons on his buyout. You don't wait 4 more weeks, then say "we're firing you for cause on a past action we knew about a month ago" and say "we don't have to pay you now".

McElwain's atty would hit a home run in court with that shit.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, Florida will not be announcing a new head coach before the end of the regular season (or CCG's) unless that coach is currently idle. Therefore no recruiting advantage.

Hiring an idle coach before the end of the regular season (CCG's) would be the only recruiting advantage.
Florida fired McElwain for cause. For economic reasons on his buyout. You don't wait 4 more weeks, then say "we're firing you for cause on a past action we knew about a month ago" and say "we don't have to pay you now".

McElwain's atty would hit a home run in court with that shit.
I don't think a program has to hire a coach before the season is over to see the process expedited by firing the coach mid-season.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't wait 4 more weeks, then say "we're firing you for cause on a past action we knew about a month ago" and say "we don't have to pay you now".
Sounds like a Texas Tech move to me.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a program has to hire a coach before the season is over to see the process expedited by firing the coach mid-season.

How is "The process expedited" unless the person they hire is already idle.

I keep trying to get that answer from you.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody start a "Who's UF's new corch" thread and let's get some vcash involved!

The entire planet awaits the grid-iron return of America's University.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, and the media was blasting Texas alumni and boosters for wanting to fire a head coach that had 3 losing seasons in a row, lost to the worst FBS program in CFB and showed no improvement whatsoever. UF's alumni and boosters ran McElwain out of town in mid season after only 2 years where he won the SEC East 2 years in a row and won 10 and 9 games his 1st two years......

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, and the media was blasting Texas alumni and boosters for wanting to fire a head coach that had 3 losing seasons in a row, lost to the worst FBS program in CFB and showed no improvement whatsoever. UF's alumni and boosters ran McElwain out of town in mid season after only 2 years where he won the SEC East 2 years in a row and won 10 and 9 games his 1st two years......

Yeah, Texas sucks compared to Florida. We expect so much more.

:dhd:

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was an interesting response.

In paragraph one you suggest I am making things up. In paragraph three you confirm what I had
written. Good job.

If I wanted to invent something I would write that the reason Miami has a "U" on their helmet
is to remind people there is a "U" in Cuba, instead of how the locals pronounce it..."Cooba"

Your sense of humour does not slay me, I'm afraid.

The basic premise of what you said is not entirely wrong, however, you take great liberties with the finer details, interjecting your own opinion a lot, which is what I took issue with.

To simplify, my biggest issue is that you claimed Shannon did not clean up the program (in your initial statement) and that is simply not true. The arrest statistic I quoted was true, and keep in mind, Miami was coming off some major tragedies and controversies before his arrival. I will list a few below:

-7th floor crew rap video in 05 getting leaked.
-Willie Williams recruiting controversy and fallout
-Post game fight after the 2005 Chic Fil-A Bowl vs LSU
-Bench clearing brawl vs FIU in 2006
-Death of Bryan Pata (on campus) in 2006
-Also, the behind the scenes disaster with Nevin Shapiro, which Shannon did attempt to clean up (although, you could argue, he did not succeed on this point)

Point is, the program is nothing like the state it was in, in the early to mid 2000's (never mind the late 80's). The program has been cleaned up quite thoroughly and is now a proper institution. Championships still need to come, but the facts cannot be denied, this is not your dad's U.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read Randy Shannon made all sorts of changes immediately on defense and did nothing to the offense, other than say the QB position is up for grabs, but didn't fire their OC, who might be worse than our OC and that is saying a lot.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your sense of humour does not slay me, I'm afraid.

The basic premise of what you said is not entirely wrong, however, you take great liberties with the finer details, interjecting your own opinion a lot, which is what I took issue with.

To simplify, my biggest issue is that you claimed Shannon did not clean up the program (in your initial statement) and that is simply not true. The arrest statistic I quoted was true, and keep in mind, Miami was coming off some major tragedies and controversies before his arrival. I will list a few below:

-7th floor crew rap video in 05 getting leaked.
-Willie Williams recruiting controversy and fallout
-Post game fight after the 2005 Chic Fil-A Bowl vs LSU
-Bench clearing brawl vs FIU in 2006
-Death of Bryan Pata (on campus) in 2006
-Also, the behind the scenes disaster with Nevin Shapiro, which Shannon did attempt to clean up (although, you could argue, he did not succeed on this point)

Point is, the program is nothing like the state it was in, in the early to mid 2000's (never mind the late 80's). The program has been cleaned up quite thoroughly and is now a proper institution. Championships still need to come, but the facts cannot be denied, this is not your dad's U.

My Dad's U????

When my Dad graduated from High School, Miami wasn't even playing football.

I was a Frosh in High School when we won a Conf Title and our booster club took the
entire team to a Miami-UF game. The game where Mira thru the left-handed pass for a
TD and Bahan returned a KO 92 yards for a score.

Hell, I never knew your colors were Green and Orange. I always thought they were Green
and Gold. Miami never wore orange when I was in HS or College, for that matter.

I wasn't at the '58 game but I can remember the big issue with it. The game was played in
Jax and both teams wore White Jerseys. (Miami had yellow pants and UF wore blue, so that
helped a bit).

I probably know more about Miami football than you do.

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was an interesting response.

In paragraph one you suggest I am making things up. In paragraph three you confirm what I had
written. Good job.

If I wanted to invent something I would write that the reason Miami has a "U" on their helmet
is to remind people there is a "U" in Cuba, instead of how the locals pronounce it..."Cooba"

Lets go over the claims you made.

"He didn't clean up the Miami program...he made it worst."

I just showed you in the above why you're flat out wrong on that one.

"He had good paper recruits, but he recruited 8 from the same team. Miami Northwestern.
They listened to him when they wanted to and none of them played hard."

Your thesis that because he recruited one high school too much is the reason he fails is totally made up, with no backing. You're entitled to your opinion, but you can't tout it as gospel truth. It is known there was some serious issues with Jacory Harris though, but I'm not sure about all the rest of the NW boys. It wasn't just them.

"It got worst after Shannon was booted, because those Northwestern thugs wouldn't
listen or adapt to the new guy either. He booted most of them."

I don't fully follow this point. If you're saying that Golden booted the NW boys after Shannon left, then that is flat out wrong. Harris played in year 1 under Golden. Sean Spence played well too, and is in the NFL now. I could look up the rest, but I don't feel I need to make an index of all the outcomes.

"Shannon was a fool taking 8 homeboys from the same HS. That's a rough culture down
there and rule #1 in survival is you stick with your home boy. The loudest mouth of the
Northwestern players was the one actually in charge of the other 7. Shannon had zero
control over any of them"

See statement #2.

These are the issues I had with your post, and shows that I did not confirm what you said (as you so humorously claimed). Looking back and reading (which I try to do before posting, to make sure I'm not making any mistakes), I think there was a misunderstanding with my use of "some of these kids". I was talking about all recruits, not the NW boys.

Jekku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Dad's U????

When my Dad graduated from High School, Miami wasn't even playing football.

I was a Frosh in High School when we won a Conf Title and our booster club took the
entire team to a Miami-UF game. The game where Mira thru the left-handed pass for a
TD and Bahan returned a KO 92 yards for a score.

Hell, I never knew your colors were Green and Orange. I always thought they were Green
and Gold. Miami never wore orange when I was in HS or College, for that matter.

I wasn't at the '58 game but I can remember the big issue with it. The game was played in
Jax and both teams wore White Jerseys. (Miami had yellow pants and UF wore blue, so that
helped a bit).

I probably know more about Miami football than you do.

It was a figure of speech, my friend.

And your appeal to age/experience does not mean your facts are correct.