• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McElwain is officially out

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently you don't understand there are two parties involved. I.E the head coach who will be leaving his team to take another job. How about those optics?

Admins are potentially talking to agents about interest, but that would happen for a school who's fired their coach or one that has decided to fire theirs after their regular season.

When a coach leaves a team it always looks somewhat bad but ultimately an understood aspect of football. Getting that change done as soon as possible is the best possible outcome for a school changing coaches, and not waiting until the end of the season expedites everything.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a coach leaves a team it always looks somewhat bad but ultimately an understood aspect of football. Getting that change done as soon as possible is the best possible outcome for a school changing coaches, and not waiting until the end of the season expedites everything.

Once again. When has a successful coach ever left his team before the regular season (at a minimum) is finished?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again. When has a successful coach ever left his team before the regular season (at a minimum) is finished?
I'm not saying they would. I'm going to flip the question on you, what's the fastest an elite coach has been hired after a coach has been fired after the last game of the season (pre-bowl game)?

If Florida is able to hire a coach in the last few weeks of November, or in the first couple weeks in December, this is a success and an improvement on if they waited to fire their coach after the season.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska should fire Mike Riley today and get on the Scott Frost Bandwagon, throw their hat in the ring and go after a coach for real this time.

But I have a feeling they'll wait around for "the right time" and be left out in the cold again.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's Florida, we set the new standards.

I could see Saban moving to UF head coach this week just to get the fuck out of that dump....get a place on the West Coast and a flats boat.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they would. I'm going to flip the question on you, what's the fastest an elite coach has been hired after a coach has been fired after the last game of the season (pre-bowl game)?

If Florida is able to hire a coach in the last few weeks of November, or in the first couple weeks in December, this is a success and an improvement on if they waited to fire their coach after the season.

You're claiming there's a bunch of 'behind the scenes' action going on. If that's the case for someone who's already fired their coach, it also applies to a school who's decided to fire their coach at regular season's end.

Do you think a successful coach is going to tell his team and admins that he'll be leaving in 4-5 weeks? LOL

You're applying 'behind the scenes' to one and not the other.

If anything Florida has given it's current commitments time to shop around and listen to other offers. Their current commitments committed to that staff. There's a relationship to either McElwain or an asst coach there.
You're implying they're going to wait around to see who the next coach will be.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the recruiting aspect is all overrated as to when the new guy is put in place.

The only exception to that is early enrollees. They have got to be enrolled before
the end of the year. (New semester usually starts around the 10th of January)

When Florida fires their coach now...it becomes an advantage for them in recruiting
that they may not have had before. It is telling recruits who may have been
wavering because of the non-success of the current coach that the school isn't
happy either with the lack of progress and we are making a change.

They then don't have to ponder going somewhere else, just keep up with the news.
You don't want recruits actively seeking other offers, which they probably already have.
You don't want them becoming close to another coaching staff. UF did the right thing
here, as far as recruiting goes.

If you are going to let your guy go...you make that known and you'll protect your
recruits. If you don't, they can and will stray away.

Either way they still have until the 1st Wednesday in Feb before they have to sign
the LOI. (Actually they have until the start of the fall term).

There is an issue with early enrollees, but that is about it. If the new guy starts
or announces he's coming as soon as the regular season is over, you should be able
to protect them also.

Besides, the State of Florida is loaded with 3-star recruits. Losing 10 3-stars can easily
be replaced by 10 other 3-stars. Which is the bulk of what Corch Mac was getting

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're claiming there's a bunch of 'behind the scenes' action going on. If that's the case for someone who's already fired their coach, it also applies to a school who's decided to fire their coach at regular season's end.

Do you think a successful coach is going to tell his team and admins that he'll be leaving in 4-5 weeks? LOL

You're applying 'behind the scenes' to one and not the other.

If anything Florida has given it's current commitments time to shop around and listen to other offers. Their current commitments committed to that staff. There's a relationship to either McElwain or an asst coach there.
You're implying they're going to wait around to see who the next coach will be.
I don't think a successful coach's agent is obliged to tell his employer anything until he leaves. If you're switching jobs and going on interviews, do you tell your current employer until you've accepted another position? Hell no.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term, getting the best coach is what is most important.
If firing your current coach gives a head start vs other programs, then it's a good decision.

Everything will follow the best coach hire.
Nothing else matters.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a successful coach's agent is obliged to tell his employer anything until he leaves. If you're switching jobs and going on interviews, do you tell your current employer until you've accepted another position? Hell no.

That's my point.

The only recruiting advantage Florida would have is if they fill the position (before season's end) with someone currently idle.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point.

The only advantage Florida would have is if they fill the position (before season's end) with someone currently idle.
That's just not true. Because if they're free to hire as soon as the season in, they could save valuable days/weeks by hiring a coach away from a team ASAP. If it saves them even a day, it's worth it. There is no advantage to keeping a dead man walking on staff.

Milkshake

There Will Be Blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just not true. Because if they're free to hire as soon as the season in, they could save valuable days/weeks by hiring a coach away from a team ASAP. If it saves them even a day, it's worth it. There is no advantage to keeping a dead man walking on staff.

I agree with Maize :puke:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long term, getting the best coach is what is most important.
If firing your current coach gives a head start vs other programs, then it's a good decision.

Everything will follow the best coach hire.
Nothing else matters.

What head start is there if there is all this 'behind the scenes' stuff being insinuated?
If there's 'behind the scenes' with an active coach, there would be 'behind the scenes' with other schools who've already decided to move on, but Are letting their current coach finish the season.

Florida fired McElwain for economic reasons. They had to jump on the action (right now) so they wouldn't have to pay his full buyout.
If McElwain hadn't have lied to them, he'd be finishing the season.

It had nothing to do with recruiting or to gain some recruiting advantage. There is no recruiting advantage other than recruits already committed.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What head start is there if there is all this 'behind the scenes' stuff being insinuated?
If there's 'behind the scenes' with an active coach, there would be 'behind the scenes' with other schools who've already decided to move on, but Are letting their current coach finish the season.

Florida fired McElwain for economic reasons. They had to jump on the action (right now) so they wouldn't have to pay his full buyout.
If McElwain hadn't have lied to them, he'd be finishing the season.

It had nothing to do with recruiting or to gain some recruiting advantage. There is no recruiting advantage other than recruits already committed.
Because a team that has to fire a head coach after the season is just wasting valuable days. There is absolutely no advantage to keeping them on.

If Nebraska is going to fire Riley after the season, why wait?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because a team that has to fire a head coach after the season is just wasting valuable days. There is absolutely no advantage to keeping them on.

If Nebraska is going to fire Riley after the season, why wait?

Pshhh.

November 24th is UCLA's last game.
November 25th UCLA fires Jim Mora.
November 26th UCLA announces Scott Frost as head coach.

Where was the advantage to Florida?

It is you implying 'behind the scenes' with active coaches. I'm just playing along.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know the answer to that question and am too lazy to dig.

What is the answer?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know the answer to that question and am too lazy to dig.

What is the answer?
I don't know it, I just know it doesn't happen very often. Though I should point out, OSU fired Tressel before the season and was lucky to have Urban locked up before the season was over.

Michigan waited until Dec. 2nd to fire Hoke and then it took a month to hire Harbaugh.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha! OSUx had CUMstain locked up before Tressel's last season started.