• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McClain Problem?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Almost Impossible” Rolando McClain Plays For Cowboys Again, Due To Codeine Abuse
Nate Bouda 2 days ago Cowboys 0 Comments

Jason Cole of B/R, citing two NFL sources, reports that Cowboys LB Rolando McClain has been abusing codeine in the form of “purple drank“, which is the combination of codeine based cough syrup and Sprite.

Cole mentions that users typically gain a lot of weight from regular purple drank use, and that’s what has happened with McClain. Sources have told Cole that McClain has gained 40 pounds and is incredible out of shape.

Cole spoke to one source who said it’s “almost impossible” to see McClain playing for the Cowboys ever again.

Dallas placed McClain on reserve/did not report list last week after he was a no-show for the team’s recent charter. There has been a lot of speculation about his future with the team now that he’s facing a 10-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

Owner Jerry Jones has said that cap ramifications have played a role in their decision to not release McClain, so it’s possible the team moves on from him at some point in the coming weeks.

McClain, 27, is a former first-round pick of the Raiders back in 2010. He spent three years in Oakland before taking a year off and later signing with the Ravens.

Baltimore traded McClain to the Cowboys in 2014, and Dallas elected to bring him back on a one-year, $5 million contract back in March.

In 2015, McClain recorded 80 tackles, two sacks, an interception returned for a touchdown, and three pass defense.

We’ll have more regarding McClain and his future with the Cowboys as the news is available.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Owner Jerry Jones has said that cap ramifications have played a role in their decision to not release McClain, so it’s possible the team moves on from him at some point in the coming weeks."

This makes zero sense, was his contract guaranteed? Per Spotrac his dead space is 750.000. If that's all it cost to cut him the cap ramifications ate minimal.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good job by Woodson here. Like with Hardy, Another example of Garrett's "doing things the right way" talk being hypocritical last year.

Darren Woodson: 'I can't believe' Cowboys offered Rolando McClain a contract this offseason | SportsDay
IMO the contract wasn't the issue, but as soon as he has his annual "home issues" again I'd have given serious thoughts to cutting him, as soon as he popped hot for the Purple Drank he should have been released end of story.

Last edited:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the contract wasn't the issue, but as soon as he has his annual "home issues" again I'd have given serious thoughts to cutting him, as soon as he popped hot for the Purple Drank he should have been released end of story.
If you read what Woodson said as being accurate, it shows he should have been sat down or cut last year IMO. Thus giving him another contract was really dumb and typical Cowboys and a sign of NOT being interested in "the right kind of guys" IMO. It's just another high risk, high reward move. Haven't we seen enough of those?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you read what Woodson said as being accurate, it shows he should have been sat down or cut last year IMO. Thus giving him another contract was really dumb and typical Cowboys and a sign of NOT being interested in "the right kind of guys" IMO. It's just another high risk, high reward move. Haven't we seen enough of those?
I can see his point of view, but the contract is not a bad contract cap wise, off of memory I think his dead money is 750 thousand. I question why Jerry said his contract makes it hard to release him. I'm not a capoligist but the team should be able to eat 750T. Maybe the dead money drops if he's cut later in the season, I don't know.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not from a cap point of view, from the point of view that he didn't want to practice, didn't want to play football and didn't want to be with the team and thus should not have been brought back when we had a couple of young kids and vets ready to step in. Are we looking for guys that go about things the right way or not? If we are then he should have been gone last year along with Hardy. If we aren't then our HC shouldn't be saying it in every press conference.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Owner Jerry Jones has said that cap ramifications have played a role in their decision to not release McClain, so it’s possible the team moves on from him at some point in the coming weeks."

This makes zero sense, was his contract guaranteed? Per Spotrac his dead space is 750.000. If that's all it cost to cut him the cap ramifications ate minimal.
The only cap ramification might be they couldn't claim the signing bonus back if they cut him, (which they might be able to do if he doesn't turn up or turns up out of shape). Cutting him wouldn't gain anything other than a space on the 90-man roster and $2.625M in immediate cap space, (which only helps if you plan to use it immediately). In the scheme of things getting $750K cash and cap space isn't a huge issue. McClain will see little of his $1.25M salary and $2M roster bonuses even if he gets in shape and makes the team.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only cap ramification might be they couldn't claim the signing bonus back if they cut him, (which they might be able to do if he doesn't turn up or turns up out of shape). Cutting him wouldn't gain anything other than a space on the 90-man roster and $2.625M in immediate cap space, (which only helps if you plan to use it immediately). In the scheme of things getting $750K cash and cap space isn't a huge issue. McClain will see little of his $1.25M salary and $2M roster bonuses even if he gets in shape and makes the team.
The team did state they were looking at ways to recoup part of the signing bonus.

Not true that they don't gain anything if they cut him. 3 suspensions in one offseason so far. What you gain is sending a message to everyone else that this is not acceptable.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The team did state they were looking at ways to recoup part of the signing bonus.

Not true that they don't gain anything if they cut him. 3 suspensions in one offseason so far. What you gain is sending a message to everyone else that this is not acceptable.

Agree with Jarntt, the team gains by telling these players enough is enough, problem is the cut should have the day he tested possitive.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all what we are saying

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love and hate Jerry at the same time SMH
Jerry gets in the way of every coach the Boys have ever had Tom included. He could not even get letting Tom go right but that conversation has been beaten to death.
Jerry is a gambler always has been always will be that's the nature of being a oil field wildcatter to having the cojones to buy the Cowboys back in 89.
Jason is handicapped by having Jerry in the middle of the team decisions with Jerry trying to get the Ferrari at the Chevy Spark price. Problem is the Ferrari's Jerry has been looking at have been driven like it was stolen, crashed and fixed in Joe Bobs backyard midnight repair shop. Columbo is the only player I can think of that worked out .

And Ferrari's are fickle by nature when they run they are amazing but they must have the proper care and upkeep to be in top condition. Without proper upkeep they might still be beautiful to look at and dream of where they could take you but they wont start or breakdown when you need them the most.

Better to have a garage full of Chevys Fords Toyota's and Honda's with a late model Corvette and a few hand picked Ferrari, McLaren, Porsche, Bugatti, etc that are finely tuned and properly maintained from day 1 that are ready to go than try to get a bargain and get left on the side of the road in West Texas heat with a dead cell phone and no traffic for miles.

Jerry knows this but being a gambler he cant resist its just in his DNA to Gamble.

JMHO