• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mccann to the yankees

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
found it...you have now joined Vice as the only two to make the club...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you actually telling me, you don't know a catchers peak hitting years are from 29-34 and have been for a long time...please, tell me that...because its common knowledge that catchers work more on defense and in history develop as a hitter later than other positions...and yes players bodies do break down more in their 30's...also common knowledge in baseball history....I really thought you knew stuff beyond the Tigers baseball team.

So position players break down in their 30's, but catchers, who take the most abuse to their bodies, by a landslide, actually get better as they age.

I got it now.

You need to make up your mind -- it can't be both ways.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Molina wasn't worth 15 mil when he signed his contract either (molina a perfect example of history of hitting for catchers by the way)...contracts are based on what they plan on them doing.

Molina is a 7 time gold glove catcher, who is arguably the best defensive catcher in baseball. He signed his contract extension before last season, after hitting .305 with an OPS+ of 124.

McCann has hit for power, but the last two years, he has hit .230 and .256. So a career average of .277 looks good, but if you hit 47 and 21 points beneath it the last two years -- it doesn't look that good.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
found it...you have now joined Vice as the only two to make the club...

Too bad if he did block me. I enjoy making him look like foolish, as he talks in circles and tailors his arguments to try and fit his opinion.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, this is cool...3 blocks, probably similar to Viceys typs of ...sure its great wisdom...and yes..it was peak hitting years for a catcher...and yes it will matter if he gets injured (heck Pavano and Burnett got injured for NYY after their contracts, nice examples)...he has already been injured in the last two seasons already at 28 years old...what two years less than Miggy first major injury. Yes, miggy will not have two seasons better than his last 2 as well as not being injured in his career he is very due and already started, when you set the bar that high there is only one way to go...down.

The Tigers "team" could be the strongest its been, ever, finally...enjoy the ride this season. Age and injuries will be the only way this season goes south.

Good Luck and God Bless ya

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a good signing for the Yankees. McCann's power numbers should increase playing half his games in Yankee Stadium, even with all the good pitching in the AL East. If he stays healthy, I would not surprised if he hit 30 HR this year. And with those fly ball outs turning into home runs (among other factors), it also wouldn't surprise me if his average regressed toward his career numbers.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like McCann but not at that price. Even with a move to first base I think their are better options cheaper for 1st base if that is the plan.

I wonder if this effects the Yankees offer to Cano?

I get the Yankees print money but just do not see this with the Yankees having questions on the infield that need to be addressed.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look no further than Curtis Granderson for what Yankee Stadium can do for a leftys power numbers. 105 homers in three seasons after never hitting more than 30 in a season before. (Also was 29 when he came to the Bronx)

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCann has been injured part of the last 2 seasons?....a catcher who will hit 20 to 25 hr and hit .250 to .290....he also had strikeout kings Uggla and Upton batting behind him, why pitch to him..do you say Matt Wieters is a better catcher? look at boths stats again

I called this a week ago on the MLB daily thread...1st step of the Yankees Youth movement...30 to 35, lol.

Yes. Wieters is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, and is just entering his prime. He'll never be the hitter McCann is, but defense is so much more important. But Wieters wasn't available to the Yankees, so I don't see the relevance of the comparison.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Molina is a 7 time gold glove catcher, who is arguably the best defensive catcher in baseball. He signed his contract extension before last season, after hitting .305 with an OPS+ of 124.

McCann has hit for power, but the last two years, he has hit .230 and .256. So a career average of .277 looks good, but if you hit 47 and 21 points beneath it the last two years -- it doesn't look that good.

In all fairness though, MLB batting averages recently are a good 15 or so points lower than what they were a few years ago. In 2013, the MLB average was .253 (just a few years ago it was nearing .270) and the average catcher hit .245 with a .698 OPS...so with a weak free agent field, you'd expect McCann to get $15M+ a year (I was expecting 4 years/$60M but obviously the Yankees got far more desperate than that).

My guess is that the Yankees will hope they can catch him a good 80-100 games then have him DH a good amount to try to keep him healthier and have his bat in the lineup as much as possible....the obvious issue is that they've whether Jeter/A-Rod will need to DH some with their recent injuries, so that plan could go to sh1t if that's the case.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus the Yankees have acquired the top playground monitor in the game. He will prohibit any player from crossing home plate if he deems said player was a school yard bully. :L

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Wieters is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, and is just entering his prime. He'll never be the hitter McCann is, but defense is so much more important. But Wieters wasn't available to the Yankees, so I don't see the relevance of the comparison.

your right, you don't...wouldn't have thought Wieters was better at defense? thanks for the input.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all fairness though, MLB batting averages recently are a good 15 or so points lower than what they were a few years ago. In 2013, the MLB average was .253 (just a few years ago it was nearing .270) and the average catcher hit .245 with a .698 OPS...so with a weak free agent field, you'd expect McCann to get $15M+ a year (I was expecting 4 years/$60M but obviously the Yankees got far more desperate than that).

My guess is that the Yankees will hope they can catch him a good 80-100 games then have him DH a good amount to try to keep him healthier and have his bat in the lineup as much as possible....the obvious issue is that they've whether Jeter/A-Rod will need to DH some with their recent injuries, so that plan could go to sh1t if that's the case.

I believe most people also know McCann was injured one year and recovering the next year...just a guess though.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for the inevitable Sox-Yanks brawl next year after Ortiz celebrates a home run.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, main point was about hitting.....but since you want to go all defense on me, this link will save me time....

there are 5-6 guys who can compete with McCann with the combination bat and the glove (Avlia listed above him can not, Ruiz just got off the PEDs, unless McCann has a horrible year offensively he is better than both)

The point is also....supply and demand...and wheither is was a good deal...and yes it is for what is available...if Weiters, Molina, Perez, Posey, Montero, Mauer (is out now), its a good deal for them...don't get me wrong, I used to despise the Yankees for decades and still don't like them, but it was smart to get McCann away from the Rangers (which also factors in by not letting another AL team have a top catcher) McCann moves to 3rd best catcher in the AL now.

2013 Positional Power Rankings: Catcher | FanGraphs Baseball

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont believe it. No way you pay a catcher almost $20M a season, who bats .256 before heading to the AL east pitching barage

Hate to break it to you, but AL East pitching wasn't all that strong last year. The best AL East staff last year (Boston) was 8th in the majors in ERA+, and only 1 other team in the division (NYY) was in the top 15 in MLB in ERA+

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to break it to you, but AL East pitching wasn't all that strong last year. The best AL East staff last year (Boston) was 8th in the majors in ERA+, and only 1 other team in the division (NYY) was in the top 15 in MLB in ERA+

Not to be a nuisance, but is ERA+ not vulnerable to the very same faults as ERA?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how this became a Weiters Vs McCann issue.

McCann is winding down his career and Weiters is going into his prime. The Yankees have a habit of paying top dollar for Veterans that are looking for their last payday and it bites them in the ass more often than not. When New York makes a solid trade like acquiring Granderson they have better results.

McCann at that payday will not out produce guys by enough to make it worthwhile. He is a good catcher but so was Martin just earlier in their careers.

I like the fact the Yankees pay for previous production it keeps saddling them with A Rods, Texiaras, Pavanos, and Swishers of MLB.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get how this became a Weiters Vs McCann issue.

McCann is winding down his career and Weiters is going into his prime. The Yankees have a habit of paying top dollar for Veterans that are looking for their last payday and it bites them in the ass more often than not. When New York makes a solid trade like acquiring Granderson they have better results.

McCann at that payday will not out produce guys by enough to make it worthwhile. He is a good catcher but so was Martin just earlier in their careers.

I like the fact the Yankees pay for previous production it keeps saddling them with A Rods, Texiaras, Pavanos, and Swishers of MLB.

Swisher, Pavano, Teixeira were all in their 20s and their 'primes' when the Yankees signed them....you're acting as if they signed them at age 34 long after they had their best years. A-Rod' another story, but that decision led to Hal Steinbrenner no longer being involved (or having little involvement) in those decisions, and rightfully so.

Last edited by a moderator: