• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL Official Thread

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kemp had to pick tonight to snap out of it, didn't he??? :wtf2:

The Cubs fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in all honesty, I'm not sure if anyone steals 80 again for sometime, leadoff, second, wherever. It's just not that type of game anymore. I suppose maybe there's a guy out there that CAN, just not so sure that they will, ya know?
Sadly it doesn't seem like that type of game anymore. At least it doesn't seem it.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though that blown save was assisted by Crawford, ...smell ya later Brandon League!

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good morning, It's been a while since I've had a day from hell and had no time to check my teams or post anything anywhere. And in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arenado becoming the Russ Canzler of the MBBRL

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good morning, It's been a while since I've had a day from hell and had no time to check my teams or post anything anywhere. And in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night!

Thank you for checking in Truman, ......, I mean Jim.

:lol:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that I am the only one not concerned to roster a possible "next big thing" before they make the bigs. I guess I am too worried about today, and winning today, than possibly having someone who might get called up and might help me sometime later?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that I am the only one not concerned to roster a possible "next big thing" before they make the bigs. I guess I am too worried about today, and winning today, than possibly having someone who might get called up and might help me sometime later?

You're probably right, but I don't see anyone dropping relevant players for them...it's just part of what makes this fun for me. :yahoo:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you've got the right approach BigD, especially with short benches. I just can't help myself :) The thought of grabbing someone off the WW who has very little upside is depressing. (Although I've had to for sure. Ahem Infante)
I think it's mostly that we all draw from our experience. I, for example, haven't seen a non-keeper league in maybe 8 years, so I'm conditioned to scour the WW for youth and potential...essentially ignoring good players who, if I would just look, probably have great matchups for a one week period. My strategy's strengths are quite obviously displayed in my record =D. Taveras, for example, is one of my top 20 favourite players haha as I've owned him elsewhere for a couple years, following his progress. I'd go short-handed before I could drop him :) I may be doomed to fail here, but you have to keep the "fan" in fantasy!!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you've got the right approach BigD, especially with short benches. I just can't help myself :) The thought of grabbing someone off the WW who has very little upside is depressing. (Although I've had to for sure. Ahem Infante)
I think it's mostly that we all draw from our experience. I, for example, haven't seen a non-keeper league in maybe 8 years, so I'm conditioned to scour the WW for youth and potential...essentially ignoring good players who, if I would just look, probably have great matchups for a one week period. My strategy's strengths are quite obviously displayed in my record =D. Taveras, for example, is one of my top 20 favourite players haha as I've owned him elsewhere for a couple years, following his progress. I'd go short-handed before I could drop him :) I may be doomed to fail here, but you have to keep the "fan" in fantasy!!

A "duh" item ( to me ) on this one Phil. I think I was told that many if not most of you guys play in keeper leagues. The duh then being, this is your usual, regular style. I never thought about that thought process creeping over into other fantasy styles, but, now that you made me think about it, it makes a lot more sense as to why I am seeing it.

Still, I think I can make this work for me. If and/or when one of these std kids is called up, he will have to be taken out of N/A status to be able to play, meaing that someone will then have to be dropped to the waiver wire.

When that happens, new blood for me. :plotting:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "duh" item ( to me ) on this one Phil. I think I was told that many if not most of you guys play in keeper leagues. The duh then being, this is your usual, regular style. I never thought about that thought process creeping over into other fantasy styles, but, now that you made me think about it, it makes a lot more sense as to why I am seeing it.

Still, I think I can make this work for me. If and/or when one of these std kids is called up, he will have to be taken out of N/A status to be able to play, meaing that someone will then have to be dropped to the waiver wire.

This option is available in Y! leagues, but we did not choose it. Anyone rostering minor league players is taking up an active bench slot. Once those players get called up, they can immediately be inserted without a drop by the owner.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had this mentality when we first drafted as I'm used to the whole keeper league way of doing things. Once I saw how shallow the bench was I quickly changed my way. I've got my keeper league to keep me occupied with the kiddies and while I'd love to have Tavares on my team, there are players out there that can help me more now. Not to mention there are those unimpressive rookies that get the call each year that nobody gives a second look to that can make just as much of a difference. Last year it was Dirks, Ruggiano and Aoki for me as they held my patchwork outfield together.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're not the only one like that BigD....even if I had attended the draft, I'd never use an active bench slot for a guy in AAA. The odds of them being serious contributers are long to say the least. For every Harper, Trout, there's a dozen guys that end up in the "4-A" category. Other than keeper/dynasty leagues, it's just not worth the risk IMHO

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The risk of Taveras isn't that he becomes a 4A guy, it's that the Cards keep him in minors until September. He will be an elite fantasy OF option :) Myers? He should be good too, but I don't guarantee it haha...those Rays need him more now than the Cards need Taveras though.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking with someone about minor league players and keeper leagues and he made a funny analogy.

He said "What's the point of picking up rookies and holding on to them just because they might have potential. That's about as useful as scouting girls in the 9th grade and grabbing one with a big chest hoping her face will improve. It don't always work out and you end up disappointed with a headache. That's why I stick to college girls, you know what you're getting."

My response was "If you don't scout you'll miss out on the next generation of potential superstars and end up with a bunch of aging leftovers. It's like waiting until the end of the night at a bar, you're picking from the leftovers"

His response: "I don't care if my fantasy team or the bar is full of pigs, I'm having fun and the next night I'm on to my next waiver wire pickup."

His teams may suck, but so do most of the girls he gets.:laugh3:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is possibly the greatest analogy i've ever heard. :10: