• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MBBRL Official Thread

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 10 games : Andrelton batting. 36/4.
Lots of room for improvement, no doubt. I certainly couldn't imagine dropping.
Maybe he won't crack top 10 SS this year after all...but I'll go out on a limb and say I still take him over Segura in a dynasty. :)
Not to mention, he just might be the best defensive SS alive. Wow, he's fun to watch....i know that's useless for fantasy, but it feeds the crush haha

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
strongly considered dumping Ugg's, especially after picking up Walker, but I just can't force myself to do it.

Uggla is ranked 21 for 2nd baseman, 37 for MI.

In comparison looking at what's out there ranked above Uggla:
Uggla's got Zack Cozart by 5 HR's, but Cozart has 64 more points of BA. Runs & RBI's are equal.

Uggla's got Didi Gregorious by 6 HR's but Didi has 138 more points in BA. If you factor in the extra AB's Uggla has, Runs & RBI's are about equal.

On the other side of the coin, there are 15 MI players currently owned that are ranked below Uggla.

Mike Aviles - Part time until now
Neil Walker - Finally worked out his suck
Rickie Weeks - Holding out hope?
Michael Young - doesn't suck but doesn't do much else.
Erick Aybar - Go Angels
Jose Reyes - DL
Aaron Hill - DL
Jeff Keppinger - Filling a hole
Jurickson Profar - Under 50 AB's
Nick Franklin - Under 50 AB's
Hanley Ramirez - Just off DL
Gordon Beckham - Lightning in a bottle?
Danny Espinosa - DL
Derek Jeter - DL
Billy Hamilton - Minors

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last 10 games : Andrelton batting. 36/4.
Lots of room for improvement, no doubt. I certainly couldn't imagine dropping.
Maybe he won't crack top 10 SS this year after all...but I'll go out on a limb and say I still take him over Segura in a dynasty. :)
Not to mention, he just might be the best defensive SS alive. Wow, he's fun to watch....i know that's useless for fantasy, but it feeds the crush haha

You and Brad Evans with your man crushes.:laugh3:

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep in mind that I'm an anti-Uggla guy, as well as an anti-Dunn guy. Players like this are not even looked at when I draft or am looking for a f/a.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like clockwork. Incredible. Fawk you very much V-Mart!

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same thing happened with Lucroy last week, but I managed to get him back. Doubt I'll have the same luck with Victor... not that I'm thinking about doing it... but sweet geesus how does this happen all the time!??

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up with the weird upside-down-triangle beards these days? It looks like the white guys are trying to find a style to call their own. :laugh3:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't really expect to pick up Tim Hudson. Rev, i'm a little surprised you didn't take a shot at him. :scratch:

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Philabuster what happened?

Ya get "Cole" feet? :laugh3::laugh3::laugh3:

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up with the weird upside-down-triangle beards these days? It looks like the white guys are trying to find a style to call their own. :laugh3:

Name a guy that has one so I/we can follow you

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't really expect to pick up Tim Hudson. Rev, i'm a little surprised you didn't take a shot at him. :scratch:

He was fine in April. Sine then, not so much, and is really showing his age.

Heck, seeing Mark Mulder as an MLB.tv talking head shows Hudson's age......

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a guy that has one so I/we can follow you

Bryce Harper's one, although he may be hard to follow for awhile. I'll post a few more names when I run across them.

Anyway, where ya been? I was expecting to see your newly created thread: "Paeans For Puig" :)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Harper's one, although he may be hard to follow for awhile. I'll post a few more names when I run across them.

Anyway, where ya been? I was expecting to see your newly created thread: "Paeans For Puig" :)

I have been caught in the firewall of this new server they have here now. Took me DAYS to finanlly be able to log back on.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gotcha. They ahve a name for that. Or, at least this is what it used to be called.

A soul patch.

I have one ( kind of ) that is a part of my gotee.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been caught in the firewall of this new server they have here now. Took me DAYS to finanlly be able to log back on.

Looking at the thread they have for the transition, you're not the only one.
Mine was spotty for a few hours, but other than that....I guess I was one of the lucky ones.

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Philabuster put up a thread about rules in other leagues and changes, I'd like to bring up one that was shot down earlier, Saves+holds. A lot of this was said on the site which shall not be named, but those comments are gone now so we'll start over.

I volunteered to punt saves early, but several other teams have taken to that same strategy and a few others struggle get saves. I think if we change saves to saves+holds, it will not only eleviate that problem but it will allow teams to make use of some very good players currently on waivers (and a few on teams).
Listed below are some relevant players and their save/hold numbers.

Mark Melancon (YellowFuzzy) 19
Kenley Jansen (Grand Salami) 2 saves but 17 sv/hd
Joel Peralta - f/a - 16
Trevor Rosenthal - f/a - 15
Jared Burton - f/a - 15
Jesse Crain - f/a - 15
David Robertson - f/a - 13
Koji Uehara - f/a - 11
There are several with 10 or less sv/hd, but there era & whip make them as useful as most bottom tier closers. There are also several with more than 10 sv/hd but they are era/whip killers (Jake McGee has 11 but he's more trouble than Brandon League)

Granted there are a bunch of guys that get holds, but the number of guys that get them and actually contribute to your team without killing your era & whip are less that you would think. But these extra players would level the playing field and make some waiver fodder middle relief pitchers valuable.

Now I've heard arguments about not liking the idea because it waters down the closer role. You can make a case for this, but in the same argument I would ask how many closers do some teams have. Teams can have 4 closers (5 if they're lucky enough to have a SP/RP closer), and that's out of 30 ML teams. Imagine if teams were able to start 4 third baseman with the same pool we have now. You say it waters down the pool, I say it strengthens the pool and gives each team a fighting chance.

I've also heard teams say that wouldn't mind it as a stand alone category. Doing this would do 2 things. First it puts holds in the same category as saves, limiting the number of rosterable players just like we have with closers now. The second would be now you have to draft not only starters & closer, but now you have to draft middle relief pitchers. That's three types of pitchers you have to draft to compete in all the stats. With hitters, you draft hitters and they contribute to each hitting category, simple. Having holds as it's own category makes things harder (which isn't a bad thing) instead of simplifying things.

Thoughts, comments, hate mail.:rollseyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. I think we kept it simple because there was a new guy or two. Heck I don't know who they are, everyone seems pretty darn competitive.

I'm open for whatever. I play in pts leagues other than this one, so I'm used to sac bunts scoring pts :) On the other hand, simple is good too....this certainly is a lot more strategy than I remembered already.

Changing to h+sv opens the proverbial can of worms, but as long as everyone is happy, I'm happy.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like holds + saves. I also like QS and any option that isn't BA. OPS, SLG, OBP are all better IMO.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I was one of thosr against it..not so much the saves+holds, but the other, more "exotic" categories that aren't necessarily household terms to those outside of our little bubble..which was why I pushed for the bare bones basics. Now that everyone has gotten their feet wet, I would most definitely vote for the categories that better represent helping a baseball team win a real game (QS's, OB, OPS, H's, ect..ect..)