• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew may franchise Suh

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call Ihedigbo awesome. Hes not much in coverage IMO. Borderline starter. (I believe it was 22 that compared him to Joique. also definitely not awesome. But also not cheap anymore. UDFAs are cool on the initial deal. Doesnt matter where a dude comes from after that.)I still want another coverage safety. Via the draft or FA, doesn't matter to me.

Not as much as I want Suh though. (I wouldn't call anyone on D but Suh awesome. Well.... and Quin. Levy is good, but will never be awesome. And that's okay. I'll take good.)

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just trying to help some of you guys, honestly. The way you guys are sounding, if/when you hear that the Lions have tagged Suh, you might go on a killing spree.

I'm simply here to tell you its not that bad. If Suh leaves, and we don't get a couple(or more) good free agency upgrades, then it will be bad.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name the last SB winning team in the cap era that had 1/2 its cap tied up in three players. Since, unsurprisingly, Rob held out a full 2 weeks before throwing rocks, then I guess in response that the math-challenged crowd still can't do math.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions haven't won a playoff game since the salary cap was instituted in 1994. Im willingly to see Mayhew blaze a new trail.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name the last SB winning team in the cap era that had 1/2 its cap tied up in three players. Since, unsurprisingly, Rob held out a full 2 weeks before throwing rocks, then I guess in response that the math-challenged crowd still can't do math.

What rocks? Maybe you're right. It's simply surprising to see fans like myself and fans like yourself trading places. I've got the Lions going 11-5 next year with Suh, 12-4 if they can win @ Green Bay. Old Lion has them never making the playoffs again and you say it eliminates them from all SB talk. We disagree like usual, just things have switched.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions haven't won a playoff game since the salary cap was instituted in 1994. Im willingly to see Mayhew blaze a new trail.

Ya, Suh is the exception to that rule and to those links. None of those teams had Suh. Martin Mayhew, Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson have never seen the playoffs without Suh.

The anti-Suhporters are also aSuhming that Mayhew is capable of finding good players to replace Suh, when the one guy who would have been perferct (Aaron Donaldson) was sitting right there for the taking, and instead big Martin took a 3rd TE good enough to grab 25 whole catches this year.

I'll take my chances with Suh and whoever else Martin puts out there with him vs. no Suh and whoever else Martin puts out there without him.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin only has a couple years left in his prime anyways so the whole carry 3 players things doesn't apply forever. Suh is coming into his prime. The D is tops. Calvin is ending his and the O is meh.

Suh > Calvin if that's what it comes down to.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, Suh is the exception to that rule and to those links. None of those teams had Suh. Martin Mayhew, Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson have never seen the playoffs without Suh.

The anti-Suhporters are also aSuhming that Mayhew is capable of finding good players to replace Suh, when the one guy who would have been perferct (Aaron Donaldson) was sitting right there for the taking, and instead big Martin took a 3rd TE good enough to grab 25 whole catches this year.

I'll take my chances with Suh and whoever else Martin puts out there with him vs. no Suh and whoever else Martin puts out there without him.

To expand on my "borderline starter" comment earlier....... I think we can have plenty behind and around Suh and still see a high level defense. If Austin doesn't get a new/better gig. If he leaves, guys like Digs, Whitehead, Mathis(assuming he can't last forever as other have stated) whoever replaces Suh, Fairley, Mosley up the middle, maybe Van Noy(no idea if he can be a capable starter or not).....all the "borderline" guys. My guess, nobody thinks they're awesome, prolly not many will think they're good.

Guys like Ashley Palmer, Tapp and Don Carey really wouldn't look like depth. They'd look like filler. Cuz that's what they are IMO.

Suh dominates. Not always, but more than all but maybe two defensive players. He changes game plans. He changes play calls. He changes fucking games! No FA were going to bring in can do that. No rookie is going to do that.

You tag him, you're putting 9.7mil to use, that otherwise is wasted. And when the season is over, your cap hell is over. Worst thing that can happen is 36 mil is open up, ready to replace him(or, hopefully resign) and you still haven't won a game in the Salary Cap era. I see no long lasting effects from tagging. So long as its banged up vets like Sims, Ravioli, Bush, Tully en sech that part ways rather than young guns like Levy, Ziggy and yeah thats about it. (Must keep Quin and Slay as well.)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be quite honest about all the Suh talk and his possible impending new contract with the Lions, you really only need to get by somehow for this upcoming new league year to make that cap space work. My reasoning is that the new TV contract is supposed to kick-in in 2016 (possibly upwards to a 160 mil cap space). I will go out on a limb thinking the cap rises to 143-145 mil for the 2015 new league year. It's possible. Most pundits thought 2014 cap would be 127-128 mil. Then the big boom came and it became 133 mil.

just sayin.

and we have no idea what cuts, re-structures will occur come February or beyond. Calvin isn't one of them that I want to see ANY re-structures done with his contract.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think next year is our best shot at a Super Bowl with this core.(Pretty much I mean Calvin, nobody else that matters much has a ticking clock) And tbh, this next season is the only time will have felt they had a shot since prolly '97 or so. Definitely since Barry retired. (Stafford is capable of winning back to back home games in the winter. He did this year. Just needs them to be in January next year.)

If Suhs not there anchoring Austin's D. I won't expect playoffs, no matter who is drafted or signed with the 11mil or whatever is saved in comparison to this years salary.

Don't wanna argue with folks that don't agree with my ProSuh thoughts. Just want to state them.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think next year is our best shot at a Super Bowl with this core.(Pretty much I mean Calvin, nobody else that matters much has a ticking clock) And tbh, this next season is the only time will have felt they had a shot since prolly '97 or so. Definitely since Barry retired. (Stafford is capable of winning back to back home games in the winter. He did this year. Just needs them to be in January next year.)

If Suhs not there anchoring Austin's D. I won't expect playoffs, no matter who is drafted or signed with the 11mil or whatever is saved in comparison to this years salary.

Don't wanna argue with folks that don't agree with my ProSuh thoughts. Just want to state them.

Post of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year is young.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty's definition of awesome vs good really makes TP's "Smitty thinks Swarm is awesome." post mean so much more now.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rocks? Maybe you're right. It's simply surprising to see fans like myself and fans like yourself trading places. I've got the Lions going 11-5 next year with Suh, 12-4 if they can win @ Green Bay. Old Lion has them never making the playoffs again and you say it eliminates them from all SB talk. We disagree like usual, just things have switched.

:wtf2:

So after predicting 5-11 this year you have them 11-5 next year when you don't know who is even going to be on the team other than Suh Staff and Megatron? Even though the schedule will be more difficult?

:bullshit:

I have made no predictions of the future yet. I have no idea what will happen until everything is revealed with contracts, FA and the draft. Please leave me out of your pissing contests.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smitty's definition of awesome vs good really makes TP's "Smitty thinks Swarm is awesome." post mean so much more now.

I musta missed that post.

For the record, I think OUR (thats e'rybody) Lions Board is awesome, when WE(thats e'rybody again) say what we think about the team and its players and its coaches and its Roary, honestly. And have fun doin' it. This shit sucks when it's not fun. I don't wanna not have fun on this board. Hell, Im not gonna not have fun on here. I don't care if Tony Scheffler tells me to go fuck myself or not.

It's not awesome when we hold back our honest opinions for fear we might be wrong, or ridiculed or chastised or Cosbied after a pre-season game against The Browns. (If Cabrera going back to third taught me anything as a poster, it's to keep an open mind to shit that might seem like it "will never happen".)

I also think we have TWO awesome players. Suh and CJ. A couple that maybecould be. (Year Seven they tell me, its like 27 for a pitcher.) And a few that are good and hopefully stay that way for awhile. And few that might be good. (Im lookin at you Riley Reif and Ebron. You assholes.) And then some fuggers that don't matter one damn bit. There's a lot of those. Most of the NFL is made up of those guys. With about as many that are just a smidge below em wishing they didn't matter in the NFL. Gimme a couple extra of those, they can go away whenever. Like I said, that don't really matter anyway.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Brown cost the Bills a 4th rounder.

I don't think he made one bit of difference to the Bills this year. In fact, I think he sucks and can't be trusted to not fumble.

Philly came out like a bandit in that one. Im all for Mayhew dealing two dozen different guys for conditional picks, if they make anything substantial (non minimum basically) and can have their minimal impact replaced easily.

Blaze a new trail Mayhew. Get picks instead of giving em.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respect to the passion and efforts of the arm chair GM's, it's impossible to figure. You're not figuring in cut players, restructured contracts etc...we also don't know how projected future cap increases tie into new deals.

It's easy to simply add the cost of a Suh to the existing roster and cry foul. But things will change, meaning the numbers being worked with now aren't accurate.

All last off sesson we did the GM thing here and people freaked out about Golden Tate. All of a sudden the Lions would be unable to sign anyone good on defense. We know how that turned out.

There is very little room with which to restructure deals and there isn't that much we can get from cuts either.

If they put a tag on him it will be the transition tag so they have the right of first refusal to match any offer he gets from another team. And that may be advantageous in more ways than one since if he chooses to hold out, which many do under that tag, if it came to it I believe we could then work a trade deal. Hopefully, he would just rather play here with us having matched whatever the market determined his value to be.

Barring an absolutely insane offer from another team I feel very confident we will put the best offer on the table he will get. It's all about how they structure the deal but I will bet my left nut they wont be franchising him. If they do I will see if the mods will let me change my screen name and I will forever be known as One Nut.