• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew may franchise Suh

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta just be a ploy, that or we're going to be starting several UDFA rookies next season in order to stay under the cap limit...

I don't think it would be that drastic. The way we, as fans, look at the cap now it might seem that way. But that's how its been the past couple years at this time. Then we always make a somewhat higher priced signing.

I'm not really hoping they franchise Suh, but its better than losing him for squat. I'm sure after cutting Bush, Tulloch, and Jones, they will once again restructure Stafford and Calvin, and be able to bring back key backups. Does everybody think were going to get 5 starters via free agency, anyways?

Also, franchising still allows Suh to test the market. First. People should get over the $36 number, as 9 is dead money, so its only $27. And then, at worst case we still have a great defense for 1 more year. Best case we either trade him for value or sign him to a long term deal.

We don't franchise him, worst case our defense turns to average IMO. Best case scenario is he signs a deal, which is what he'd do anyways if we franchised him FYI. So it really doesn't mean if we sign him we just screwed ourselves.

So, if we could keep Suh, even for just a year, cut Bush, Jones, and Tulloch, and restructure CJ and Staff, all while not losing draft picks or anyone else major, why would you guys NOT want to do it? Answer: you're too hung up over the actual number.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would be that drastic. The way we, as fans, look at the cap now it might seem that way. But that's how its been the past couple years at this time. Then we always make a somewhat higher priced signing.

I'm not really hoping they franchise Suh, but its better than losing him for squat. I'm sure after cutting Bush, Tulloch, and Jones, they will once again restructure Stafford and Calvin, and be able to bring back key backups. Does everybody think were going to get 5 starters via free agency, anyways?

Also, franchising still allows Suh to test the market. First. People should get over the $36 number, as 9 is dead money, so its only $27. And then, at worst case we still have a great defense for 1 more year. Best case we either trade him for value or sign him to a long term deal.

We don't franchise him, worst case our defense turns to average IMO. Best case scenario is he signs a deal, which is what he'd do anyways if we franchised him FYI. So it really doesn't mean if we sign him we just screwed ourselves.

So, if we could keep Suh, even for just a year, cut Bush, Jones, and Tulloch, and restructure CJ and Staff, all while not losing draft picks or anyone else major, why would you guys NOT want to do it? Answer: you're too hung up over the actual number.

Yup. Would rather have the cap room and the third than cripple the team for that kind of money, never mind the precedent it would set on what the Lions have to pay for good players. With that money we could sign Greg Hardy, Mike Iupati, Fairley, and BJ Raji. None of these guys are Suh (though Hardy is no bum if he can avoid a long suspension), but 4 starters including two pretty good guys for the price of one is how franchises like Pittsburgh and New England have been so good for so long. Never break the bank for one guy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TwoCents... That 9 mil in dead $ STILL counts against the cap number and is relevant, so I'm not sure as to why you toss it aside like it's meaningless.

As far as Suh signing a deal anyways, while under a Franchise tag, isn't guaranteed either. He could easily take that Franchise Tag 27 mil, stay 1 one year, and then bolt next year, all the while 1 player costs us nearly 37 mil in cap space for that 1 YEAR. Let's see 27 mil for 1 year under the Tag and gets a new contract the following year (2016), for say 17 mil on avg, or he just says FUCK IT, I'll take a 17 mil on avg per yr contract now. If he should get hurt next year at any time during the next year that would be the risky adventure question.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew didn't talk too much about Fairley in his interview. My guess is he doesn't come back. But he also did say that he loves the way the D-line all played as one solid unit this year and would like to ensure they all stay here. My doubt that happens.

Caldwell also stated that most teams see a 35% roster turnover each year so things could look quite different next year. There's quite a few I'm hoping don't come back nand it's starts with Chef Boyardee's best seller, Ravioli.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Tagging him puts a one year $27m guaranteed contract on the table. The Lions can not withdrawal the tag if he signs it. How long do you think it would take for that to be signed, scanned, and sent back to the Lions and NFL offices?

My guess is about 2 minutes. It takes 30 seconds for his agent to forward it to Suh. 30 seconds for Suh to print it. Another 60 seconds to sign it, rescan it, type in the recipients, and send it.

$27m is half of the total amount guaranteed in the Watt contract. No player in the league will be paid more than that next year and he will be a FA again the next year. The only way franchising him is an option is if the Lions plan to play Iron Man football next season cause they wont be able to have a full 53 man roster.
You'd think so, but apparently not, because Mayhew said so. It's been linked.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TwoCents... That 9 mil in dead $ STILL counts against the cap number and is relevant, so I'm not sure as to why you toss it aside like it's meaningless.

I'm not. The number 36 is being thrown around as if that's how much it will cost to franchise him. When it will only cost 27 more. 9 without him. $36 with him.

Again, I've yet to see anyone lay a probable free agency plan that's better than franchising Suh. If we lose him, who are we signing with the free space that makes us better? Until I see that plan that's better, I will still be in favor of(if its possible under the salary) franchising Suh, cutting Bush, Tully, and Jones, and restructuring CJ and Staff. The main reason I've heard against it was the number in itself. Still haven't heard anyone with rumors on free agents we could sign that make us better. That's all.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to see Raiola, Sims, Orlovsky or Palmer coming back (re-signed) and even Ross is included in that group.

I do want to see DT Mosley, DE George Johnson, PK Prater, S Quddus, CB Vaughn all re-signed. Mathis, IMO, started to slow down in the last 4 games. I wouldn't miss him 1 bit.

Cut Don Carey, Travis Lewis and Bill Bentley....JMHO

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big_Blue_72 said:
If Suh wants to be a Lion in 2015 he will be. It's all on him wanting to stay or not, IMO, as I think Mayhew will do whatever he has to do in order to re-sign him (which wouldn't be franchising him).

If the CAP were to rise to 140 mil, over the current 133 mil, you must remember that the Lions currently have 40 player's signed for 2015 at nearly 119+ mil and that figure includes Suh at 9.7 mil for his pro-rated restructure only. If the franchise tag were used on Suh, that 20% increase of last years cap hit (22,412,500.00) now becomes 26,895,000 + that remaining restructure of 9,737,500.00 = 36,632,500.00 mil cap hit for 2015. That wipes out the teams entire remaining cap space while still needing 13 roster spots signed, which would include draftee's and 10 practice squad players signed.

Franchising Suh is ill-logical. [ QUOTE]

TwoCents22 said:
I'm not. The number 36 is being thrown around as if that's how much it will cost to franchise him. When it will only cost 27 more. 9 without him. $36 with him.

I think I laid it out fairly precisely, in my breakdown above, of what is the real deal on what it would cost to keep Suh

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ QUOTE]

I think I laid it out fairly precisely, in my breakdown above, of what is the real deal on what it would cost to keep Suh[/QUOTE]

Again, I never contradicted anything you said.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id support restructuring AND extending Stafford to free up money in 16, 17 and 18 to sign Suh to a nice 5-6 year deal. (Calvin off the books after 18)

Yeah, I said it. And I meant it.

Get this shit done Mayhew, ya Bumblefuck. And cut Reggie Bush as soon as possible.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love me some Suh and the Bad boy reputation we got from it......I'm a dollar and cents (sense) guy....I'm leaning towards letting him walk and having tons of money......Teams win super bowls not over paid individuals.......Use the money to sign a team and not a individual.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With respect to the passion and efforts of the arm chair GM's, it's impossible to figure. You're not figuring in cut players, restructured contracts etc...we also don't know how projected future cap increases tie into new deals.

It's easy to simply add the cost of a Suh to the existing roster and cry foul. But things will change, meaning the numbers being worked with now aren't accurate.

All last off sesson we did the GM thing here and people freaked out about Golden Tate. All of a sudden the Lions would be unable to sign anyone good on defense. We know how that turned out.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Tagging him puts a one year $27m guaranteed contract on the table. The Lions can not withdrawal the tag if he signs it. How long do you think it would take for that to be signed, scanned, and sent back to the Lions and NFL offices?

My guess is about 2 minutes. It takes 30 seconds for his agent to forward it to Suh. 30 seconds for Suh to print it. Another 60 seconds to sign it, rescan it, type in the recipients, and send it.

$27m is half of the total amount guaranteed in the Watt contract. No player in the league will be paid more than that next year and he will be a FA again the next year. The only way franchising him is an option is if the Lions plan to play Iron Man football next season cause they wont be able to have a full 53 man roster.

You are right, its ultimately up to Suh. But he'd still be able to weigh his options and test the market. The Lions could also put the word out to let teams know the trade value would be less than the franchise value, which would increase our chances to get value.

I do think if he wants to play here, he'll sign a long term deal whether he's tagged or not. And we look at the cap now and say its impossible, but Mayhew always finds room, not always a good thing, but IMO this time it'd be worth it to keep Suh, even if onlyvone year. Especially because we don't have any immediate backup plans on the roster.

I'll point to when everyone said no way the Patriots franchised Matt Cassel. $14.65 million. He could have made that easy money being a backup, then hit the market. He instead took the a $26 mil guaranteed 6 year deal in the trade, $62/6 year total.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget Franchising him. It aint going to happen.

The market probably warrants 7 year $100 mil. Just above McCoys contract. I am not sure I would do it, but that is the max I would even consider. There are plenty of teams that will probably do that and none of them will make the playoffs.

How many of the 8 remaining teams have a DT on them that makes anywhere near 15 mil a year?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance.

Mayhew should be fired if he did. 36 million is to much for JJ Watt for 1 year. roughly 1/5 of your salary cap for 1 player.

One of the reasons, I wanted the Texans to draft Khalil Mack over Clowney. Clowney will post about the same numbers as Mack but expect to be paid like a Boss. The Texans won't be able to afford Clowney and Watt

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he's just running his mouth as a negotiation tactic. Having half the cap tied up in 3 players (and this assumes a $10MM cap increase next year), with the other half needed to sign the other 48 guys on the roster is a good way to have big names and a shitty team.

I think they call it the Dan Snyder strategum. If Mayhew follows he'll deserve all of Evil-er's contempt.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sky is falling crowd grows. Predicting doom and gloom, and no playoffs if a Suh is back. Wow, fans.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he's just running his mouth as a negotiation tactic. Having half the cap tied up in 3 players (and this assumes a $10MM cap increase next year), with the other half needed to sign the other 48 guys on the roster.

Ummm, I keep hearing this logic. "We can't win with this $ in 3 players".

How'd that work for us this year? 11 wins and a playoff loss in which we were clearly the better team? I'll take it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, I keep hearing this logic. "We can't win with this $ in 3 players".

How'd that work for us this year? 11 wins and a playoff loss in which we were clearly the better team? I'll take it.

It also implies that only higher paid players produce and lower paid players don't. Our RB was undrafted. Our RT was undrafted. Levy was a 3rd rounder. Whitehead was a 5th.

Some fans wanted a high priced safety in FA last off season and said signing Tate prevented the Lions from signing a good safety. Instead we got Ihedgibo on the cheap, and he was awesome. Suh makes all those guys and everyone around him better.