• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew finally admitted...

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...that he doesn't strictly draft BPA. So we can finally put that old argument to bed and certain individuals can now admit they were wrong and certain individuals can bask in the glory of their correctness.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Mayhew said was he used BPA at the top of the draft but tried to draft for some positions of need in the later rounds THIS YEAR. And he specifically said the 6th or 7th rounds. Those little words this year won't win you any arguments about what he did in the past. As a matter of fact it hurts your argument.

"I think there was more of a different dynamic (this year)," Mayhew said. "When we talk about best player available, it's really critically, critically important at the top part of the draft because those guys because it's so important that those guys make it that you focus on getting the absolute best player you can get no matter what. As you get later in the sixth, seventh-round. You start to look at positions that you might want to address."

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah later rounds TB..Blah blah blah...except that our picks filled needs in order every round. What a fucking coincidence!!

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont challenge me TB we live to close I will just challenge you to a fight at the Wolfden

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, if he specifically said he drafted for need in the 6th and 7th rounds? Then he is even a bigger fool and knows less about building a team than I thought.

The last two or three rounds is the very LAST place you should draft for need. The odds of even finding a player who will be good enough to play in the NFL is already too slim in those rounds. Nothing but a pure crap shoot and I have heard different coaches and GMs say as much in the past. You are only hoping to get lucky in those rounds. To draft for need in those rounds, you are limiting yourself to fewer positions and less of a chance of getting a player who has real talent.

In the last rounds, you should be looking for those guys that have the unteachable tangibles. Speed for instance. A player is either fast or not. You cant teach that. So draft a RB or WR with a lot of speed. Natural athleticism. Draft a QB with a real strong arm and see if you can teach him to be a little more accurate or better at reading defenses. Draft a linebacker who is fast or strong and teach him the game. You draft according to abilities you cannot teach and hope you find that gem if you coach him up.

Mayhew did a much better job of drafting this year in the early rounds. Maybe he was lucky and need just fit BPA. Maybe it was due to Xanders. But that quote shows me he still doesnt KNOW what he is doing. His thinking is illogical and flawed.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL And according to Mayhew it is more important to draft BPA in the early rounds because it is so critical to get players who can play in those rounds? And other than the first round he still has not done well? lol

What that statement says to me? That he doesnt trust his ability (or the scouting departments) to judge if a player is the real deal or not! So take the very best player no matter the position so you have less chances of screwing it up!

A good GM IMO, would put them together. If a player is head and shoulders better than any others out there, then you take him. If it is even close, you draft the guy who fits a need. THey dont worry as much about screwing up the first two or three rounds because they believe they know how to judge talent and dont need the guy to be absolutely a no brainer to know if he can be a great player.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew had his heart set on drafting Ansah since the All-Star game! The whole OT was a smoke screen to keep a team from jumping up for Ansah. Mayhew and Schwartz believe he is the next JPP. I hope they are correct but they drafted not on Best Player Available but the best potential available!

Regardless I like the pick! But with the knowledge it will be 2-3 years before he really becomes a difference maker. I actually applaud Mayhew's addressing positions with guys that fall into the area of pick...at least the first 3 rounds.:2cents:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"BPA" is NFL GM code for "STFU". All GM's use this phrase. It's a canned response for 95% of all fan/media draft related questions. It means nothing. stop over analyzing it every year.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I can take the tallest midget!!

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, if he specifically said he drafted for need in the 6th and 7th rounds? Then he is even a bigger fool and knows less about building a team than I thought.

The last two or three rounds is the very LAST place you should draft for need. The odds of even finding a player who will be good enough to play in the NFL is already too slim in those rounds. Nothing but a pure crap shoot and I have heard different coaches and GMs say as much in the past. You are only hoping to get lucky in those rounds. To draft for need in those rounds, you are limiting yourself to fewer positions and less of a chance of getting a player who has real talent.

In the last rounds, you should be looking for those guys that have the unteachable tangibles. Speed for instance. A player is either fast or not. You cant teach that. So draft a RB or WR with a lot of speed. Natural athleticism. Draft a QB with a real strong arm and see if you can teach him to be a little more accurate or better at reading defenses. Draft a linebacker who is fast or strong and teach him the game. You draft according to abilities you cannot teach and hope you find that gem if you coach him up.

Mayhew did a much better job of drafting this year in the early rounds. Maybe he was lucky and need just fit BPA. Maybe it was due to Xanders. But that quote shows me he still doesnt KNOW what he is doing. His thinking is illogical and flawed.

Seriously, what's the difference with how you approach your 6th and 7th round draft picks? You're wishing and hoping they pan out whether you draft for talent or need that late. They are throw away picks. Not only do they not cripple the franchise when they don't work out, they aren't expected to work out. You pretty much say the exact same things in this post so what's the difference? I couldn't care less how a GM approaches the late rounds.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Shawn Berry

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha TB you probably could..im not as good as I once was.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that it is Mayhew's job to make this team better. He should care about connecting on as many picks as possible. One of the reasons the Lions still have so many holes and lack of depth is because they don't do well in the second half of the draft.

If there are something like 15 different positions, and you limit your choices to 4 or 5 weak positions, the odds you will get one of the good late rounders is slimmed down. It is bad planning to make your chances of finding the late round gem even slimmer than it already is.

The late rounds is where you should open up the choices to every position and take the most talented of them. Especially in areas that are NOT teachable. We have great DTs already and we dont need one. But if there is a big DT available who is strong and may become a decent player if you teach him more technique, you take him. If he shows some talent, you are adding depth and more value for trading in the future.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm.... I dunno, late rounders is where I'd be looking for spec teams warriors who might grow into starters some day. After the 3 rd its pretty much open mike night at the improv... Lotsa late rd diamonds have been discovered over the yrs, but the chances of finding one every draft? Naw, find some guys who can contribute via spec teams and enjoy the surprize if one turns out to be a diamond. Don't go in expecting a diamond every yr, it'll just break yer heart. But that's just my opinion...