• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Cain

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this kid.

From Bagg's blog:

Jeff Fletcher from AOLFanhouse Tweeted that Cain is just one of four pitchers in the majors with 200 innings and a sub-4.00 ERA in each of the past four years. The others were Dan Haren, CC Sabathia and Roy Halladay.

You wouldn’t think to look up a grouping like that, but you could argue that it measures the true value of a starting pitcher. There’s nothing more important than quality innings – and a lot of them.

And measuring toughness? The Elias Sports Bureau discovered that Cain’s .195 opponents’ average with RISP is second lowest over the past two seasons (minimum 300 batters faced), only behind Milwaukee’s Yovani Gallardo (.188). Cain has held hitters to 1 for 15 with RISP this postseason, including 0 for 7 tonight.

Here’s another: Only four other pitchers besides Cain have thrown at least 20 innings in a single postseason without allowing an earned run. Kenny Rogers (in 2006) is the only other guy besides Cain to do it since 1933. Among the others, two are Giants Hall of Famers Christy Mathewson (1905) and Carl Hubbell (‘33).

“It’s hard to believe he’s 26 years old,” Bruce Bochy said of cain. “He’s the oldest Giant we have here.”

I think Bochy was talking in terms of tenure. But Bochy has used the phrase “old soul” to describe his pitcher, too.

After Cain finished in the interview room, he went back to his locker and I was able to get two minutes with him. I wondered: What the heck will it take to tip your cap to the crowd? If not in the World Series, to a thunderous ovation, with a 2-0 lead in the eighth inning, then when?

“Can’t do it with a runner on base,” said Cain, who had issued a one-out walk. “Just didn’t seem right.”

And I think I’ll stop writing about Matt Cain right there. Nothing could better express why his teammates so admire him.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who is that in your avatar?

lol, li0.....I'm talking about Matt MothaFeckin' Cain and you ask me about my avatar??? :L:D;)

Rachael Leigh Cook.

EDIT: I also have a thing for Winona Ryder, post-felony.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Matt Cain is a stud. Always has been.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little ahead of ourselves but does anyone think we should trade a pitcher for a bat, now?

It'd be Sanchez obviously, as Cain has clearly moved ahead of him. Plus we have another younger lefty coming on (MadBum). Wheeler too.

Do we need to do that? Is Ross enough for a lineup improvement all year next year?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A little ahead of ourselves but does anyone think we should trade a pitcher for a bat, now?

It'd be Sanchez obviously, as Cain has clearly moved ahead of him. Plus we have another younger lefty coming on (MadBum). Wheeler too.

Do we need to do that? Is Ross enough for a lineup improvement all year next year?

I think it depends on what the mix is on the free-agent market. More stud pitchers? Then a trade for a bat is more likely.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, li0.....I'm talking about Matt MothaFeckin' Cain and you ask me about my avatar??? :L:D;)

Rachael Leigh Cook.

EDIT: I also have a thing for Winona Ryder, post-felony.

Another hot Jewess...and from my father's hometown for which she is named.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said it last year, and I'll say it again now and in 2011 -- you do NOT trade elite level pitching...ever. If someone wants to pick up Zito's contract they can have him for free. Otherwise, I keep Tim/Matt/Jon/Madison and wait for Zach to join them.

nateistheshi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
msgkings322;357560[B said:
]A little ahead of ourselves but does anyone think we should trade a pitcher for a bat, now?[/B]

I really don't think so, at least not until Sanchez starts to get expensive and Wheeler looks ready. I think every move they make this offseason starts with they think they should do with Pablo.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it last year, and I'll say it again now and in 2011 -- you do NOT trade elite level pitching...ever. If someone wants to pick up Zito's contract they can have him for free. Otherwise, I keep Tim/Matt/Jon/Madison and wait for Zach to join them.

I think this year is kind of proving you right on that. The Giants plan was to build around homegrown pitching in a pitchers park and it worked, splendidly. Why change it?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this year is kind of proving you right on that. The Giants plan was to build around homegrown pitching in a pitchers park and it worked, splendidly. Why change it?

Word to the mother, my bruddah. The plan is working and we just need to add an offensive piece or two each year. Last year Pablo, this year Buster and Andres. Next year Belt.

which brings us to: 2011.

Catcher: Buster, Whitey
1b: Huff?, Belt
2b: Freddy, Fontenot
SS: Uribe?, Hardy/Peralta?
3b: Panda?, DeRosa?
LF: DeRosa?, Huff?
CF: Andres
RF: Ross

Bench: Rowand? (is he tradeable?), Nate, Burrell? (I think we bring him back cheap), Burriss?

SP: Tim, Cain, Chez, Bum, Zito? (is he tradeable?)
C: Weez
RP: Romo, Lopez, Affeldt, Casilla, Ramirez

Ass Out: Ramirez, Ray, Runzler, Uselez, Guillen, Rent, Ishi, Mota, Ford, Hinshaw, Rohlinger, Gillaspie, Joaquin, Peguero, Pill, Pucetas, Sosa.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep the pitching we have.

When we have a chance to trade Zito next offseason, Wheeler should be ready. He is on the fast track and I could see him take a similar path as Cain did to the majors.

Thinking about that kind of rotation is just sick. Good hitting is easier to find than good pitching, and our pitching could be elite. Plus, though very early, the 2012 FA hitting class looks pretty loaded and next years draft is said to be one of the best depth wise is years.

I know nothings a sure thing, but we have hitters that should be around for a while and a potential 3-4-5 of Posey-Sandoval-Belt for years. I don't think the Giants need to make any big trades, Sabean should refrain from pushing the button and keep his staff in tact, like he has the past offseasons.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see Sandoval getting back to anything we'd want. And where's he going to play? Belt will have 1B, right? Can Panda play 3B for any longer?

Hope I'm wrong.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't see Sandoval getting back to anything we'd want. And where's he going to play? Belt will have 1B, right? Can Panda play 3B for any longer?

Hope I'm wrong.

For Panda to make this club, he's going to have to be the 3b, Belt will split time with Huffy this year, but by 2012 it's all his. This means Panda is going to have to lose weight this offseason and blow the doors off of ST. Hopefully, Barry Bombs will be his hitting instructor.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said it last year, and I'll say it again now and in 2011 -- you do NOT trade elite level pitching...ever.

I agree with this statement. The key is Elite pitching and the ability to recognize it. I think we all agree about Timmeh and Cain. I think most of us agree that Madbum is remarkable for a rookie. The question is again Sanchez.
There are times he is flat out filthy and then there are the other times. Some one once mentioned when Sanchez was going through his Timmeh impersonation that during his initial 34 starts he had not reached the 6th inning on 16 occassions. That's a scary stat for a front line starter

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After so many years of aching for one Ace, I like having a top quality starter 1-5. Each pitcher in the rotation has taken their lumps this year but when that happens someone else steps up. Good pitching also has such a positive halo effect on the defense. Pitching-its the Giants swagger.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this statement. The key is Elite pitching and the ability to recognize it. I think we all agree about Timmeh and Cain. I think most of us agree that Madbum is remarkable for a rookie. The question is again Sanchez.
There are times he is flat out filthy and then there are the other times. Some one once mentioned when Sanchez was going through his Timmeh impersonation that during his initial 34 starts he had not reached the 6th inning on 16 occassions. That's a scary stat for a front line starter

BUT, he has found his groove here since late August. Yes, he still has control issues, but he has been so dominant lately that hopefully it's a sign that he has found it. I have confidence in him going into next year, remember, he lead the starting staff in ERA, had +200 K's and led the league in OBA. I think he will settle in between Lincecum and Cain next year and they will all be top starters in the league.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Panda to make this club, he's going to have to be the 3b, Belt will split time with Huffy this year, but by 2012 it's all his. This means Panda is going to have to lose weight this offseason and blow the doors off of ST. Hopefully, Barry Bombs will be his hitting instructor.

How do we all feel about Bonds wanting to be our hitting coach?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How do we all feel about Bonds wanting to be our hitting coach?

On the fence. No doubt that the lord himself would be a great teacher with all of his plate discipline abilities. The downside to Bonds is that it might be a distraction for the team with all of the massengil writers who still have a bone to pick with him.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey this thread is supposed to be about the GREATNESS of Matt Cain people! :mad:

So yeah, he's great and stuff. :)

GO GIANTS BABY!! WOOT!!!