• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marty is putting the team first again

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's dropped the MB30 mask and gone retro with his new gear

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's About time. I thought it was very selfish to have his initials so prominent on the helmet when no other Goalie has it that way

Devs_Jets_Yanks27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Excellent. Do notice though in ghost paint there are MB30's all over the place

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's About time. I thought it was very selfish to have his initials so prominent on the helmet when no other Goalie has it that way

I didnt find it anymore selfish than baseball players having their numbers on their bats. Its HIS mask, no one else was going to wear it. Also for years only thing on his helmet was the Devils logo, as apposed to other goalies who have overly designed masks with very little team integration. Atleast with the MB30 mask, he kept the devil tail.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

display_image.jpg

goalie_mask-30josh+harding.jpg

henrik-lundqvistmask.jpg

joseph_curtis_194x260.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
20010408pdjohan08.jpg

boston-tuukka-rask.jpg

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big fan of him dropping the initials it just drew critisism, selfish or not.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he got any criticism for it, he should have just changed to the 3 Cups in the front and his records listed on the back

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tons of goalies have that on their masks. .... Just like to promote accuracy .

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes but notice where ALL THE GOALIES have their names located? they dont have them on the most prominate part of the mask! see what i'm going for? i say put the j uptop and put mb30 on the chin like everyone else. this is devils hockey isnt it? isnt it suppose to be team first?

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yes but notice where ALL THE GOALIES have their names located? they dont have them on the most prominate part of the mask! see what i'm going for? i say put the j uptop and put mb30 on the chin like everyone else. this is devils hockey isnt it? isnt it suppose to be team first?

Lol ok, so now we're debating whether the chin of forehead is more prominent.

Maybe you're right, Marty does have an awful history of holding the Devils hostage over contracts and such too.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
its not really a debate i mean just use your eyes and its pretty easy to see that the forehead on a goalie mask is more visible hence the big team logo. its been done like that for years. no need in getting all defensive because i'm right cuz

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put this to rest, we can't kill the guy for going with the MB30 mask. He's always been a team first guy, has taken less money than he should have to help the team out, and he wanted to promote himself a bit during his record breaking seasons. Now he's switching back, Marty probably got a few extra bucks for a few years, in the end nobody got hurt.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...he did...that mask was cursed man, CURSED!

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
its not really a debate i mean just use your eyes and its pretty easy to see that the forehead on a goalie mask is more visible hence the big team logo. its been done like that for years. no need in getting all defensive because i'm right cuz

My point is that your favorite player on the team is realistically the most selfish based on actual actions as opposed to fallacies of the mind.

Also, just going back to the actual logo in general, how is combining the Devils logo and your initials and number a selfish thing in the first place. You need to find some better things to criticize players for.

It's not like the helmet says MARTIN BRODEUR in all caps across the top.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Please explain to me how you perceive Marty's helmet as selfish compared to this, which I frankly don't think is selfish in the first place. ...

evgeni-nabokov.jpg

My view on this is a helmet that has skeletons on it, and frankly I see one shark with a guys name plastered across it. In fact if you look at the vast majority of the pictures above, the actual team logo, which is what you seem to be indicating dictates "selfishness" or a lack there of, is hardly present in most of the pictures.

MCDevils

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another example of no team logo, yet a player's name..

asset_upload_file528_127420.jpg

steve-mason.jpg

Here's one of Ed Belfour (aka Eddie the Eagle) who, while playing for the hawks, had nothing on his helmet even relating to the blackhawks besides the color scheme..

ed-belfour.jpg

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a goalie, personally I didn't think the mb30 as the centerpiece of the mask was the best conceived idea. He's been very good to the team but just my opinion I'm gonna side with cup. Not fully but definately to a degree that say the nabokov or zipper pictures it read their names across the forehead instead of the chin or side.

Intentional self promotion? I can't say beyond normal speculation, but it certainly, even as a former goalie myself, catches my attention and makes raise an eyebrow more than others.
As far as Kovy did I personally don't think taking your time and getting a deal you expect and thought you could get is handcuffs a team, not intentionally on his part anyway. The team still agreed, and I see nothing wrong with taking tine to decide on something. Especially where in his case it was probably the last one he'd ever sign so to take time on a life decision, while the media, or any of us may not like it, realistically its simply smart, and one could argue responsible.

But inc thats a side note to the topic. BTW as far as belfour goes the eagle was a generic painting that was presold, it wasn't really a personal painting In fact it originated in red. Once he became famous for it obviously it stuck but just a little detail there is all

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I still don't see any Goalie mask that has a Goalie name or initials centered on the most prominent part of the mask. Sure nabakov and kipper have nothing to do with the team but it still doesn't have their name there. And masons does belong with the team name.

Don't believe Marty wasn't self promoting himself? It was the same year he launched his website he xhanged his mask. I don't disagree with the contract stuff. But u can't have separate rules for separate players. Juuuuuuust saying