• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martin Mayhew: Chris Houston will bounce back.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the fans, the beleif that surrounds the Lions and CB Chris Houston is that his days are numbered even though he is still in his early years of his extended contract that was signed last year. Due to a bad year, most fans are ready to move on, while other have always been skeptical about his overall play. Part of the issue is that Houston isn't a true #1 CB and is consistently put in that position. General Manager Martin Mayhew believes in Houston's return despite his struggles and says that Houston should be just fine in 2014 in his combine presser.

TIM AND MIKE: Jim Caldwell at the Combine

The way Mayhew responds to the CB situation in Detroit may make some beleive that the Lions might not look at the position in the early parts of the draft. The media and fan base continue to link top CB's Dennard and Gilbert as choices with the 10th pick of the draft. Another reason why some believe the Lions will go CB is because the new Defensive Coordinator has went on record stating that he likes CBs with size, but never really clarifies if the position is a priority.

My question is this: Are the Lions really in the market for a top CB like the media and fans suspect?

My opinion on the matter is that the Lions will probably look from the second round and beyond for a guy to throw in the mix. I think guys like McGill, Gains, Fuller and Baptiste are guys they will look for. The only way I see them taking one early is if they beleive one of the top two is a shut-down CB.

Thoughts?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts? He won't. I saw that guy mentally lose it. There are a million guys hungry for a starting spot in the NFL who can beat him out. He's done.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll bounce back, but I maintain that he belongs in the slot. We've got three big CBs with great speed to put on the outside, let Houston and Bentley man the slot.

Houston is quick, breaks well on the ball, and is good in run support- all good traits for a slot CB. Where he struggles is getting beat on double moves down the field, something that is greatly reduced playing inside.

That's just my $.02, but it sure seems to make sense to play our big CBs outside and our smaller two in the slot...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they could just draft Gilbert at #10 and cut him after next season.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr they could just...cut him.

If he gets benched again, or still looks broken in camp, expect this sooner than later. He never lived up to that contract the Lions gave him when he was expected be be a solid no.1.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he gets benched again, or still looks broken in camp, expect this sooner than later. He never lived up to that contract the Lions gave him when he was expected be be a solid no.1.

Houston will be given the opportunity to bounce back, as I expect him to do so, for the entire 2014 regular season. I find it highly unlikely that Mayhew would cut Houston at anytime during the off-season or otherwise. It is known that players who get that big contract will often under-perform no matter what sport we are talking about. Whether his issues were related to playing up to the contract or from a personal aspect, he is the only one who can answer that question and that relates to his upcoming on-field performance this year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew mentions that he thinks Houston may of struggled because of injuries all year. Do we agree?
Does it make sense from a financial standpoint to play him in the slot?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He won't get cut this season- it would cost us more to cut him than to keep him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew mentions that he thinks Houston may of struggled because of injuries all year. Do we agree?

He's not making that much money per season considering his position, plus, at least one of our starters on the outside, Slay, is playing for relative pennies all things considered, so I think that offsets the cost of paying a slot CB the kind of $$ Houston is making.

It's not ideal, but if he has a bounce-back season and plays well he's worth the $$ no matter if he's in the slot or not. If not we can cut him next year and save some cap space. Either way we're stuck with him this year no matter what, so it makes sense to me to play him wherever he's going to be the best fit, not where his contract suggests he should play...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what situatiin do you draft one of these CBs?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew said that he expects Bently, Greenwood and Green to contribute.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what situatiin do you draft one of these CBs?

The CB situation in Detroit is exactly the same this year as it was last year, and last year, it stunk. Houston might "bounce back" but that just means he isn't God awful anymore. He's far past his prime and the Lions need to find his successor now.

If the Lions stay put at 10 I both hope and expect them to snag Dennard. Maybe even trade down a few spots depending on what QB's go when and where in top 15-20.

Mayhew said that he expects Bently, Greenwood and Green to contribute.

Sounds underwhelming.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After witnessing Houston's lack of effort last season I've no faith he'll help in any way next year. And I don't care what Mayhew's opinion is. He extended the guy, what else would he say?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll bounce back, but I maintain that he belongs in the slot. We've got three big CBs with great speed to put on the outside, let Houston and Bentley man the slot.

Houston is quick, breaks well on the ball, and is good in run support- all good traits for a slot CB. Where he struggles is getting beat on double moves down the field, something that is greatly reduced playing inside.

That's just my $.02, but it sure seems to make sense to play our big CBs outside and our smaller two in the slot...

I think Houston has peaked. He's never been a player that gets a lot of interceptions. The most he's had is 5(one time) and he averages 1 or 2 a year. He averages around 12-13 PDs a year. I think production like that can come from anywhere tbh.

I'm not sure what Mayhew is thinking he'll bounce back from. He's been average his entire career IMO.

I also feel it's too expensive to cut him this year, so like it or not, he'll be in the D this upcoming year.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team realizes that they need to get better there but what I'm wondering is how they plan on going about it. Its different when you tslk about adding a guy to compete vs adding day-one starter. There's a lot to like about a situation where the Lions take Dennard or Gilbert.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, this is pretty much my thoughts on it.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team realizes that they need to get better there but what I'm wondering is how they plan on going about it. Its different when you tslk about adding a guy to compete vs adding day-one starter. There's a lot to like about a situation where the Lions take Dennard or Gilbert.

Same thought process here.

Grab another DB at 10, then Best WR in the 2nd round.....Find a LB or OL in the 3rd round.....That should fill lots of holes at dire needs of the team and the draft is set up for the Lions to do it....Top 2 DBs are around the 10th pick......Draft loaded with WRs, so pick the best one in the 2nd round, then LB or OL in the 3rd......

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knows my stance about taking a WR first but I'm good with a CB. Lions need to be able to match up on the outside to keep up with the top teams, including those in the North.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol