• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Martin Mayhew: Chris Houston will bounce back.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit is going to draft a CB -- it has to be at #10 in the first. No reason to spend another pick in the 2nd or 3rd round to add to the list we already have. They have the quantity part of the CB position already spending a 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th round pick the last two years on the position. They need the quality part where they can find a #1 CB.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

Thats the type of response I was looking for. From what you've gathered so far, do you see a CB as a realistic option in the first?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

Thats the type of response I was looking for. From what you've gathered so far, do you see a CB as a realistic option in the first?

It is either gilbert or dennard. if they don't take one of those guys -- there isn't a reason to draft another one later, unless they believe one of the CBs who fall from the 1st round can develop into a #1 CB.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is either gilbert or dennard. if they don't take one of those guys -- there isn't a reason to draft another one later, unless they believe one of the CBs who fall from the 1st round can develop into a #1 CB.

I'd be fine with drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd- we still need to add another guy, and while the draft is only one option, it offers the better long-term potential, plus a cheaper contract vs. signing a guy in free agency.

It all depends on who the prospect is for me.

For the short term, though, signing a veteran starter would be the better option, imo. I'd love to see us clear enough room to bring DRC in...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd- we still need to add another guy, and while the draft is only one option, it offers the better long-term potential, plus a cheaper contract vs. signing a guy in free agency.

They've already drafted Slay, Bentley, Greenwood and Green. They have Houston signed. What would be the point of spending another draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd, unless they are writing off the guys they spent draft picks on in the last 2 years?

CB is the hardest position to step in and play right out of college. If Detroit is actually in a win now mode, as the coaches said -- spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy to sit on the sidelines for a year or two isn't a win now drafting mentality.

Detroit needs a #1 -- the only two guys in this draft who could possibly become that is Dennard and Gilbert. Personally, I'd rather not see the Lions draft for depth at a position of weakness. I'd rather see them draft someone who could step in and help immediately.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round #1 CBs rarely do anything of significance on defense the first year or 2 either. Drafting any CB to be your number 1 goes against the whole win now approach too. Getting a proven one in FA is the only thing that would go along with that theory.

That being said we are not going to win the SB next year. This is a semi rebuilding year. Hopefully we make the playoffs and make a run at it next year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round #1 CBs rarely do anything of significance on defense the first year or 2 either. Drafting any CB to be your number 1 goes against the whole win now approach too. Getting a proven one in FA is the only thing that would go along with that theory.

That being said we are not going to win the SB next year. This is a semi rebuilding year. Hopefully we make the playoffs and make a run at it next year.

Yeah -- that is true. Screw CB -- give me Khalil Mack or one of the top WRs. :yahoo:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Want proof.. 2012 CB Morris Caiborne #6 overall pick (BTW he's strictly a press cover, Dallas has taken away what his best attributes are by making him play off) and 2013 #7 overall Dee Milliner who was benched at least 5x last year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- that is true. Screw CB -- give me Khalil Mack or one of the top WRs. :yahoo:

Yep... He would provide the biggest impact on the field for a 1st year defensive player. He's a 3-down LB. He can seal the edge, stand up as an edge rusher in a 3-4 alignment, drop into coverage with a rb or te.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]
Yep... He would provide the biggest impact on the field for a 1st year defensive player. He's a 3-down LB. He can seal the edge, stand up as an edge rusher in a 3-4 alignment, drop into coverage with a rb or te.

Yup, He would give us the most flexibility. Right now we are stuck in a nickel package as our base.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see a mid to late selection at corner. He's 6'3" and ran a 4.47.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGill might get 2nd round consideration.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
close enough at 4.51 NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Keith McGill
BTW, he's one of the players that the Lions have interviewed to date

doubt that he'll be around after the 3rd though

I knew they spoke with him back in January. Thought it was 4.47, must have been an unofficial time. But everything Id read on him was 5th-6th round. 2nd round is a bit rich for my blood on a guy with such little experience. Especially considering that bump is on account of the combine.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Greenwood getting resigned would fill the same need. With the dirty work of acclimating to the NFL already taken care of.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With detroits financial situation I dont see how they sign anyone any good at CB. Proven CBs are expensive, it would be nice, I just dont see it as a viable option unfortunately.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've already drafted Slay, Bentley, Greenwood and Green. They have Houston signed. What would be the point of spending another draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd, unless they are writing off the guys they spent draft picks on in the last 2 years?

CB is the hardest position to step in and play right out of college. If Detroit is actually in a win now mode, as the coaches said -- spending a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a guy to sit on the sidelines for a year or two isn't a win now drafting mentality.

Detroit needs a #1 -- the only two guys in this draft who could possibly become that is Dennard and Gilbert. Personally, I'd rather not see the Lions draft for depth at a position of weakness. I'd rather see them draft someone who could step in and help immediately.

No doubt we need a #1, but we also need another CB, no matter how we slice it. Ideally we sign a guy like DRC, but if not, then the draft is where we'll look.

And to say that Dennard and Gilbert are the only guys who could possibly turn into a #1 CB in this whole draft is pretty absurd. There's this guy named Richard Sherman...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGill might get 2nd round consideration.

His size will certainly push him higher than he'd otherwise go based on his skill-set alone.

If he's still there in the 3rd I'd be happy to add him to the mix...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to say that Dennard and Gilbert are the only guys who could possibly turn into a #1 CB in this whole draft is pretty absurd. There's this guy named Richard Sherman...

Richard Sherman is the exception, not the rule. This is just like when fans argued in 09 that the Lions could get a QB in the late rounds because of Brady.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richard Sherman is the exception, not the rule. This is just like when fans argued in 09 that the Lions could get a QB in the late rounds because of Brady.

I stand by my statement. There's no way someone can say that there's only two CBs in the whole draft who could possibly develop into a #1 CB. Obviously Sherman is the exception, but he's proof that #1 CBs can be found after the 1st round...