• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Cuban: 'NFL is 10 years from implosion'

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like it's wishful thinking on his part. Because if you have lets say a Football game on at 1 on Sunday that also coincides with a basketball game on a different channel. The football game will obliterate basketball in ratings.

EVERY time... NBA is crying for attention

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation: I should have bought a Football team.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I guess he would know a thing or two about oversaturation considering the NBA lets half the league into the playoffs and decided to expand the first round from a round of 5 to a round of 7.

Not to mention they expanded teams to the point that they don't have enough talent to make all the teams compelling.

So the NBA would definitely be experts in oversaturation.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess he would know a thing or two about oversaturation considering the NBA lets half the league into the playoffs and decided to expand the first round from a round of 5 to a round of 7.

Not to mention they expanded teams to the point that they don't have enough talent to make all the teams compelling.

I'd say it's more of this. I think 10 years might be a bit of an exaggeration to garner more attention, but he's not dumb. He can see what's happening, it happened in his own league.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He provides little substance in his analysis of why football is going to implode. I thought football was on Saturdays late in the season many years ago. Whatever. Yes, there may be some issues with football but there are even bigger issues with the NBA.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about it for a second. You have a professional sport where every team only plays 16 games and the norm was we played these games all at the same time. How stupid was that.

More games at different times will only make fans happier. And it's cheaper for the everyday fan. I stopped getting the NFL ticket for Direct TV because the boys have so many national games

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy is a self made Billionaire. He's wrong about a lot of things, but business/money isn't one of them

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy is a self made Billionaire. He's wrong about a lot of things, but business/money isn't one of them

You are assuming that he is being completely sincere on all of this & doesn't have ulterior motives.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the national concern over safety and concussions, coupled with the NFL's desire to squash that thru knee-jerk rule changes, I could see the NFL eventually becoming obsolete. Don't know about ten years, but I think he has a point.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban has a point.

I'm an NFL head to the core. Not equating MLB with the NFL...but at one point in my life I was a big MLB BB fan back when there was a game of the week and slowly that became game of the night basically and after a while BB was on in the background, to now, it's no longer must see TV unless it's a postseason game...really a WS game now is no longer must see TV.

The ratings say otherwise right, but there is a point of depreciating return in ANY business model and I think that's his angle.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL isn't any better, too many teams in the playoff. Baseball has been ruined with its wild card expansion.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about it for a second. You have a professional sport where every team only plays 16 games and the norm was we played these games all at the same time. How stupid was that.

More games at different times will only make fans happier. And it's cheaper for the everyday fan. I stopped getting the NFL ticket for Direct TV because the boys have so many national games

Good point about the Tkt because I ended up paying for roughly 9 games LY that I would not have seen on any network.

IOMO Cuban does have a point...if the NFL stops where they are now...Thurs/Sun/Mon...his 10 yr time frame won't happen.

But if they continue to add more days to the schedule it will start to impact of parts of the TV schedule...MNF doesn't have the same zest it once did now that SNF is getting matchups they have been as good or better...imo the league has roughly 10 teams that are national draw type teams...the rest are mostly regional draws.

It will take longer than 10 yrs, but if the NFL went from 3 night a week to 4, yes, I could see them hurting themselves.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As has been said already he's not all that wrong.... i just dont think the reason is the tv schedule.

I think the nfl Could lose popularity because of:

-Bastardizing the regular season just like the NBA has done by expanding playoffs. We dont need more 8-8 or 7-9 teams making the playoffs. (Edit, if this does happen can we not call it the wild card roudn, can we call it the Dallas Cowboys round) lol sorry had to

-Tinkering around with core football plays, The kickoff change, eliminating the PAT, already done or close to being done.

-Radical changes, eliminating the 3 and 4 point stances. Im sure theres others im forgetting.

-Over Rule regulating for the offense. We get it, Brady is important, but getting a flag thrown anytime a player breaths on him is lame. "IF in doubt throw the Flag out"

Im sure theres other reasons im forgetting but that would be why it would lose popularity.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As has been said already he's not all that wrong.... i just dont think the reason is the tv schedule.

I think the nfl Could lose popularity because of:

-Bastardizing the regular season just like the NBA has done by expanding playoffs. We dont need more 8-8 or 7-9 teams making the playoffs. (Edit, if this does happen can we not call it the wild card roudn, can we call it the Dallas Cowboys round) lol sorry had to

-Tinkering around with core football plays, The kickoff change, eliminating the PAT, already done or close to being done.

-Radical changes, eliminating the 3 and 4 point stances. Im sure theres others im forgetting.

-Over Rule regulating for the offense. We get it, Brady is important, but getting a flag thrown anytime a player breaths on him is lame. "IF in doubt throw the Flag out"

Im sure theres other reasons im forgetting but that would be why it would lose popularity.

Good points...I think rule changes for the most part will be absorbed as long as the violence factor is there. On the QBs...you're right the league has a different set of rules for some players and I think it's unfair, but no fan wants to see their QB sidelined due to a rule that's been put in place even if we didn't like the rule.