• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota might stay in school

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he's staying but I'm really not sold on him being a NFL QB. Something about these guys who don't take snaps under center is kinda hard for me to want them on my team. Winston maybe but Mariota not so much. What about trading a 3rd maybe 4th rounder to Tampa for Mike Glennon?

It's near impossible to find a QB that takes snaps under center in Division 1 these days.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like this ( but obviously Mariota won't be there- just took him for scoring ). But you get the idea of how the OL can be fixed instantly with the extra 2nd rounders.

Round 1 Pick 12 (CLE): Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon (A)
Round 1 Pick 28 (DAL): Marcus Peters, CB, Washington (B)
Round 2 Pick 9: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame (A)
Round 2 Pick 22 (DET): Josue Matias, OG, Florida State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 28 (DAL): Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon (A-)
Round 3 Pick 13 (CLE): Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville (B+)
Round 3 Pick 15 (S.F.): Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 20 (PHI): Geneo Grissom, OLB, Oklahoma (B)
Round 4 Pick 32 (S.F.): Cameron Artis-Payne, RB, Auburn (A)
Round 6 Pick 6 (WASH): Louis Trinca-Pasat, DT, Iowa (A)
Round 6 Pick 24 (DET): Corey Crawford, DE, Clemson (B+)
Round 7 Pick 5 (WASH): Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke (A)
Round 7 Pick 23 (DET): Trayion Durham, FB, Kent State (A)

That's a bit extreme of an example. No way do the Rams have room for 13 draft picks lol. They'll be lucky to have half that many, since they're starting with 5.

For those who used to frequent the ESPN NBA boards, these mock draft sites are becoming the ESPN Trade Machine for the NFL; good in theory, but ultimately get pushed past their usable limits.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who used to frequent the ESPN NBA boards, these mock draft sites are becoming the ESPN Trade Machine for the NFL; good in theory, but ultimately get pushed past their usable limits.

That is why when you look at mine, I am not worried about the score so much as believeability. I have been doing mock where, if Scherff is gone in round 1 I usually trade down to about 16 -18 and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. Then I trade down in round 2 and pick up a 4th... I try to be realistic. Fantasy drafting is fun, but I prefer to look at what we might ACTUALLY do, ya know!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shop, here is an example of what I think realistically will happen. Trade down from #10 to #18, getting a 2nd and 3rd. Then trading from #8 to #21 in round 2 and getting a 3rd.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 18 (S.D.): La'el Collins, OT, LSU (A)
Round 2 Pick 17 (S.D.): Derron Smith, FS, Fresno State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 21 (CINN): Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn (A)
Round 3 Pick 3 (JAX): Tre' Jackson, OG, Florida State (B+)
Round 3 Pick 8: Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn (A)
Round 3 Pick 16 (S.D.): Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor (B+)
Round 5 Pick 9: Jordan Hicks, OLB, Texas (B-)
Round 7 Pick 10: Quandre Diggs, CB, Texas (A)

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Commish. That has the best likelihood of occurring of any mock I have seen recently and that would be a damn good draft. This bars any "wild hair" move Snisher may spring on us at the last minute.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota has declared for the draft, btw.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, I saw that at lunch. Kinda figured it would happen.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bit extreme of an example. No way do the Rams have room for 13 draft picks lol. They'll be lucky to have half that many, since they're starting with 5.

It's extreme in that no team would do it.

But it is doable if a team like the Rams were willing to.

All it takes is a couple of trades down in the 1st to stockpile picks in a hurry.

And the Rams top needs are QB, OG and C. That value is in the 2nd round.

The only position worth taking in the 1st is OT or one of the top OLB.

That's why I think a trade down or two would be in the Rams best interest.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I read a report that said Scheriff was best slated at OG rather than OT.

If that is true, is he worth a top 10 pick?

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree totally, ALR. Let's hope the Rams' front office sees it the same way.

Also, with extra picks, I'm all for taking two QB's during the draft.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have taken two or more guys with other positions such as CB why not QB?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, with extra picks, I'm all for taking two QB's during the draft

But ONLY if we get extra picks. If we end up with say 5 or 6 picks you cannot take 2 QB's.
As of Scherff, dude is going to be a better more athletic (healthier??) version of Saffold. He can play RT or RG. If he is drafted by the Rams, I still project him at RT. But he will indeed be versatile like most of our linemen are.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, I read a report that said Scheriff was best slated at OG rather than OT.

If that is true, is he worth a top 10 pick?

In my opinion yes. If he's an all pro guard and he fits one of our biggest needs. We can plug him in and he's a day one starter and makes our line so much better. But the big thing is he can play tackle if needed.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's extreme in that no team would do it.

But it is doable if a team like the Rams were willing to.

All it takes is a couple of trades down in the 1st to stockpile picks in a hurry.

And the Rams top needs are QB, OG and C. That value is in the 2nd round.

The only position worth taking in the 1st is OT or one of the top OLB.

That's why I think a trade down or two would be in the Rams best interest.

A trade down or two is fine and the preference of many here (provided someone doesn't fall into the Rams' lap at 10). 13 picks is not; where are those roster spots going to come from?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion yes. If he's an all pro guard and he fits one of our biggest needs. We can plug him in and he's a day one starter and makes our line so much better. But the big thing is he can play tackle if needed.

If he's an all-pro? It will be years before you find that out. Rams are looking for OG, C, and RT, none of which historically need to be drafted in the first round. It seems like a waste of assets to draft a LT in the 1st to put him at RT (or G) with no real path to ever starting at LT. Are you going to pay that player LT money to stay in a few years?

Obviously Zach Martin excelled immediately at G (but came out as a T), but how many other "sure-fire" 1st round OG in recent drafts have excelled? Kyle Long has been good, but what about Warmack and Cooper that went before him? DeCastro? Zeitler? Danny Watkins?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's an all-pro? It will be years before you find that out. Rams are looking for OG, C, and RT, none of which historically need to be drafted in the first round. It seems like a waste of assets to draft a LT in the 1st to put him at RT (or G) with no real path to ever starting at LT. Are you going to pay that player LT money to stay in a few years?

Obviously Zach Martin excelled immediately at G (but came out as a T), but how many other "sure-fire" 1st round OG in recent drafts have excelled? Kyle Long has been good, but what about Warmack and Cooper that went before him? DeCastro? Zeitler? Danny Watkins?

Iupati is a 3x pro bowler.

But he was taken at #17, which is typically where you start seeing OG taken ( not at #10 ).

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That may be true but if anyone looks like a can't miss prospect in the top 10 it's him. He's so strong and has attitude! Plays pissed off. I think he's going to be like Z. Martin he can play tackle but guard will be where he ends up. Kinda like Saffold. DeCastro was a stud this year. He was hurt his first year. If you can get me Him and then Dismukes in the second I will be happy. The Rams don't have near as many holes to fill like they did last year.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iupati is a 3x pro bowler.

But he was taken at #17, which is typically where you start seeing OG taken ( not at #10 ).

It's just going to depend on how the rams attack it. Maybe they sign two Olinemen in FA and then we can get the playmakers in the first and second rd. I wont be surprised if they can fix the line in free agency they might move up for a quarterback in the first. They have already said they're not impressed with this years draft that's why we gave up a fourth and a sixth for Baron.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, that's 2-3 OG in the past what, six drafts that were acceptable 1st round picks? Better pick the right one....

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, I like Scherff. I think he will be a beast. I personally believe he is the Rams starting RT week one if they draft him. But I also believe that about Andrus Peat, TJ Clemmings and Lael Collins.

PS... I also think they will be backing up the Brinks truck to bring in either Iupati, Carpenter,Wisnewski or LeVitre (who I think gets cut) to play RG. If you put a veteran RG next to a rookie RT, you can cover a lot of deficiencies while the rookie becomes a standout.

As I have said before, imagine this o line in front of Sam:
Greg Robinson, Rodger Saffold, Reese Dismukes, Mike Iupati, Brandon Scherff

:suds: :agree: :yahoo::10::omg: