• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football Outsiders projections: Mariota elite, Winston bust

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shouldn't respond to your rookie-league trolling but I have to ask...

Are you capable of comprehending the difference between a game and a year?

Not even a troll attempt. You know I can troll better than that, Hammer.

Just noting how the world works in mysterious ways

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mariota has an elite physical skillset and is off to a historically great start to his career. RGIII had similar talents and also had the best rookie season in NFL history. I'm still guarded on the long term prospects of pure spread QBs transitioning to the pros over the long haul but there's always exceptions. Mariota's quick release and accuracy look off the charts

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game does not a season, or a carer, make.

I think he'll be good, but the jury is way out on this one.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief..... It was one fucking game. Can we wait a bit before we send him to Canton?

Just a reminder that Joe Flacco put up 5 touchdowns in 16 minutes in that building last year.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief..... It was one fucking game. Can we wait a bit before we send him to Canton?

Just a reminder that Joe Flacco put up 5 touchdowns in 16 minutes in that building last year.

What is your deal? You chimed in when they had 0 games under their belt.

BurrowDeep2Chase

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Round 1 goes to Mariotta turn into anyone saying he was headed to Canton.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your deal? You chimed in when they had 0 games under their belt.

Yes, I chimed in about their draft scouting report. And I said that I thought Winston would be more ready to play this season given his experience in a pro style offense. I give Mariota credit - He's obviously ready to play NFL football.... And it's another data point for the notion that there is no reason to let good rookies sit in today's NFL.

But the notion that Mariota/Winston is decided after one game is just ridiculous.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston will be fine. He looked like exactly what he is, a rookie. Mariota appears to be better than several thought. It's been one game. So many folks on this board wanna be the guy to say "I told you so!"

Get a grip. Could it be possible that both QBs have a successful career?

One further point on the Winston thing, is it possibly time to look at Lovie Smith in TB? That team lays over and takes it on the chin more often than not. Regardless of who the QB is. Lovie is supposed to be a defense coach. His D is horrendous. Made a rookie making his first start look like Aaron Rodgers. In their own building. Don't get me wrong, Mariota had an a outstanding game. But the Buccaneers are awful.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston will be fine. He looked like exactly what he is, a rookie. Mariota appears to be better than several thought. It's been one game. So many folks on this board wanna be the guy to say "I told you so!"

Get a grip. Could it be possible that both QBs have a successful career?

One further point on the Winston thing, is it possibly time to look at Lovie Smith in TB? That team lays over and takes it on the chin more often than not. Regardless of who the QB is. Lovie is supposed to be a defense coach. His D is horrendous. Made a rookie making his first start look like Aaron Rodgers. In their own building. Don't get me wrong, Mariota had an a outstanding game. But the Buccaneers are awful.

The problem with Winston, as I tried to tell a lot of people pre-draft, is that his decision making is terrible. I'm not sure that is something that he will ever fix and if he doesn't he will never make it.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Winston, as I tried to tell a lot of people pre-draft, is that his decision making is terrible. I'm not sure that is something that he will ever fix and if he doesn't he will never make it.

It's certainly an issue. He threw a ton of INTs last year at FSU. The turnovers showed up again on Sunday.

I don't necessarily buy that he can't fix it. They said the same thing about Brett Favre. Andrew Luck throws a lot of picks too. Who knows. He may very well end up being another Jay Cutler/Jeff George type.

He seems like a sharp kid. Good in the film room. Hard worker. As I said it's been one game. Let's see if he improves before they send him to the CFL.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I remember, a lot of Winston's picks in college were the same type that we used to blame on Carson Palmer's receivers..... He made a read, anticipated one thing and then had a young receiver make a mistake. Not sure you can compare the two, but Palmer certainly does better when he has a good offensive coordinator (Arians) which is something I don't think he had for most of his career.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I remember, a lot of Winston's picks in college were the same type that we used to blame on Carson Palmer's receivers..... He made a read, anticipated one thing and then had a young receiver make a mistake. Not sure you can compare the two, but Palmer certainly does better when he has a good offensive coordinator (Arians) which is something I don't think he had for most of his career.
A lot of his picks were because he can't read a LB at all and I mean at all.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice stats for both kids today. High qb ratings.

Didn't see either game, but the stats suggest they played well.