• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota MCL problem. DO the right thing Helfrich

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumors surrounding Mariota's knee last right were true. He had a sprained MCL. Not torn.

This isnt an excuse making thread 1st off. Rather a plea to the Duck coaching staff.

THe kid should not play the rest of the year. As much as it pains me to say this for my own selfish reasons, we need to think about Mariota's future. It is a bright one IMO.

When Dennis Dixon tore his knee ligaments, he started the game vs Zona with an already partial tear/sprain of his knee ligaments. He was never the same after the full blown out knee.

Marcus Mariota should not play another down of football this year. He needs to be given time to let the knee heal and come back to the University of Oregon next year, or enter the draft.

A full blown knee could cost him millions of dollars.

So, Oregon.... From a 20 year season ticket holder and booster. Please do the right thing for the bright future of #8. Lets not be selfish.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, the team takes a big step backwards without Mariota.

But the Ducks have 2 very capable backups in Jake Rodriguez and Jeff Lockie.

With home games vs OSU and Utah and a road game vs Zona. I am fully confident Oregon can win out in PAC12 play with these guise @ QB.

If Mariota is FULLY HEALED by January, play him in the Fiesta or Orange. (if they win out).

If he isnt, play the Freshman. See what they have against a quality BCS at large opponent or AQ conference champ.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately its the players choice. You should tweet him or Facebook him or sumthin.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure if it is in his best interest to hang it up for the year that his doctors will be saying so. Now that the NCG is off the table there is less incentive for him to push on through the injury, but there is still a lot to play for both for him personally and for the program. Hard to shut a kid down when he doesn't want to, but you would have to imagine if he is that hurt that they would have no real choice but to shut him down.

Sad to see. The kid was having a great year. I was glad to be able to see him play in person.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumors surrounding Mariota's knee last right were true. He had a sprained MCL. Not torn.

This isnt an excuse making thread 1st off. Rather a plea to the Duck coaching staff.

THe kid should not play the rest of the year. As much as it pains me to say this for my own selfish reasons, we need to think about Mariota's future. It is a bright one IMO.

When Dennis Dixon tore his knee ligaments, he started the game vs Zona with an already partial tear/sprain of his knee ligaments. He was never the same after the full blown out knee.

Marcus Mariota should not play another down of football this year. He needs to be given time to let the knee heal and come back to the University of Oregon next year, or enter the draft.

So, Oregon.... From a 20 year season ticket holder and booster. Please do the right thing for the bright future of #8. Lets not be selfish.

valid points, but does the Oregon coaching staff read the SportsHoopla?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately its the players choice. You should tweet him or Facebook him or sumthin.

its only the players choice if the coaches give them an option...the coach can say hey #8, you're on the bench, and there aint shit the player can do

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
valid points, but does the Oregon coaching staff read the SportsHoopla?

everybody reads Mamba posts. Where you been...:noidea:

No but really, this isnt just me. Just letting the hoop world know what is going on out here on the twitter and the entire Oregon media.

Sorry if it wasnt a SportsHoopla worthy post. THought I would share my and other Oregon fans thoughts.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No but really, this isnt just me. Just letting the hoop world know what is going on out here on the twitter and the entire Oregon media.

Sorry if it wasnt a SportsHoopla worthy post. THought I would share my and other Oregon fans thoughts.

Youre-not-worthy.jpg

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your dead on with the post and also classy.
kid does need to be shut down for the season, he would be foolish not to, he could be chancing millions like Wiz said...

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Completely agree, and hell the kid shouldn't have played vs Stanford, he clearly wasn't 100%, they knew of the injury, Stanford has a good D who hits hard and was going to attack. He was at major risk and probably injured that thing more now than before, or that we will ever know.

If I am Mariota, I would sit. Although the kid is a warrior and he will probably play. But that is where as an ADULT and COACH you come in, Helfrich, and tell the kid that you are not going to let him gamble millions.

Now, unfortunately, I think Mariota might be gone regardless after this season. I was thinking today maybe if he sits out he stays for hunger and revenge next year, but then I thought, the guy will probably see the potential risks if he stays and just opt out to get his millions now.

I like mariota, best Oregon QB ever. But, we saw what happened to Dixon.....it would be a damn SHAME if Mariota's career was over due to trying to play a game vs Utah or Arizona. NO need.

Also, if he plays, defenses now know he is hurt, he will be a one dimensional quarterback and teams will target him.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I was wondering where his running game was last night.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His knee injury didn't let him live up to his ability as a NFL practice squad punt returner?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Completely agree, and hell the kid shouldn't have played vs Stanford, he clearly wasn't 100%, they knew of the injury, Stanford has a good D who hits hard and was going to attack. He was at major risk and probably injured that thing more now than before, or that we will ever know.

If I am Mariota, I would sit. Although the kid is a warrior and he will probably play. But that is where as an ADULT and COACH you come in, Helfrich, and tell the kid that you are not going to let him gamble millions.

Now, unfortunately, I think Mariota might be gone regardless after this season. I was thinking today maybe if he sits out he stays for hunger and revenge next year, but then I thought, the guy will probably see the potential risks if he stays and just opt out to get his millions now.

I like mariota, best Oregon QB ever. But, we saw what happened to Dixon.....it would be a damn SHAME if Mariota's career was over due to trying to play a game vs Utah or Arizona. NO need.

Also, if he plays, defenses now know he is hurt, he will be a one dimensional quarterback and teams will target him.

While this may suck for Duck fans to hear, and what I have said before, Mariota is not an NFL QB. Nor is JFF.

Pocket breaks down, real reads come about, and all they can do is run. They'll make a play here and there in college, but in the NFL?

You must have the ability to throw the football from the pocket to be a true NFL QB. And with pressure in your face and actually reading and giving instructions to your blocking schemes and routes before the snap. You also have to have to have arm strength, because many of the schemes will attack you as a QB and your weaknesses if you don't have a strong arm. If a QB can't throw, much less get the respect of a deep out, then he is nearly worthless in the NFL.

Extending plays in college means little. Actually dropping back and having the abilty to throw stripes like Andrew Luck are what is needed.

Much less being able to take the punishment of an NFL QB.

I just can't see Mariota dropping back in a pocket and throwing stripes in the NFL.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he started games @ qb and didnt do terrible.

And Ryan Leaf did better with a broken throwing wrist. Dixon was never going to be a NFL quarterback, knee or not. Mariotta can blow out both knees and his throwing shoulder and still be more productive in the NFL than a fully healthy Dixon ever could've dreamed.

Dixon should've tried basketball like Charlie Ward

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh, last night you were saying how the MCL wasn't a big deal and how he was going to do all this and that.:L