• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mario Williams won't get tagged?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Miller is one of the most talented pass-rushers I've ever watched in college. I've NEVER seen a quicker first step or closing speed than Miller's.

And I think you're underrating Hali by a lot. I'd rather have Hali than Williams, to be honest.

Miller is a great pass rusher. No question. But Mario is a superhuman beast, and he's easily better at the point of attack than Miller; Miller is perfect as a 4-3 OLB IMO. But in a 3-4 I'd much rather have Mario (especially because he can play DE on passing downs). Mario, McDonald & Justin on the DL w/ Aldon or another OLB rushing from the LB spot would be a ridiculous pass rush.

Hali is great too, but Mario is bigger and he seems just as quick, if not quicker, and easily stronger.

Mario is the 3rd most talented defensive player in the NFL behind Peppers & Ware IMO. Maybe tied with P-Willie & Patrick Peterson.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller is a great pass rusher. No question. But Mario is a superhuman beast, and he's easily better at the point of attack than Miller; Miller is perfect as a 4-3 OLB IMO. But in a 3-4 I'd much rather have Mario (especially because he can play DE on passing downs). Mario, McDonald & Justin on the DL w/ Aldon or another OLB rushing from the LB spot would be a ridiculous pass rush.

Hali is great too, but Mario is bigger and he seems just as quick, if not quicker, and easily stronger.

Mario is the 3rd most talented defensive player in the NFL behind Peppers & Ware IMO. Maybe tied with P-Willie & Patrick Peterson.

Peterson as the 3rd(tied) most talented? really? :ear:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Houston has a good shot(stretch maybe) to retain Super Mario.

Almost sounds plausible for higher tier defenses to get Mario(w/o killing the cap completely) as well but I think Houston has the advantage for now.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting quote from Mario yesterday.

Williams, however, is saying that he's not worried so much about how large the pile of cash is that's offered. "I'm not worried about that," Williams said Thursday, the paper reports. "It's really not that big of a deal to me. I was the first pick (in 2006), and I've already had everything I really wanted, so my biggest thing is to be in a good position, a good scheme, a good system and continuing my career. Hopefully, it works out. It's always important to be in a position to be successful."
Texans? Mario Williams not worried about big bucks | Scoop Du Jour - Yahoo! Sports

Unlike most Free Agents, Mario Williams was a #1 overall pick, he's already made 54 million dollars from his rookie deal. It just might not take *top dollar* to bring him into the 49ers like I originally thought it would. Guys like Ware and Peppers didnt make nearly 60 million before their big deals. Peppers for example had a 9 million rookie contract, and a one year 16 mil franchise tag before he cashed in with the Bears.

Ooops, bingo already posted this. Muh bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

He meant Revis.

And by the way, I'd personally add Peterson on my list of top 15 most talented defensive player.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He meant Revis.

And by the way, I'd personally add Peterson on my list of top 15 most talented defensive player.

Oh ok, that I'll believe. lol....

hmm Peterson as a top 15.....

NO particular order... I guess, I think I'd still name a few more before PP. For me he made more plays in STs rather than on defense IIRC. So that doesn't put him up there for me.

pw
ray
ware
peppers
revis
ngata
jsmith
wilson
urlacher
suh
matthews
woodson
suggs
mario
wilfork

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Patrick Peterson, I can't help but think of that game where Michael Crabtree made him his bitch, 7 catches for 120 yards.... Peterson has a long way to go before I'll respect him as a cornerback after Crabtree punked his ass so bad.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Easily. Notice that I didn't say "best." I said "most talented." I'm just talking about pure God given talent. Patrick Peterson is easily the most talented DB in the NFL IMO.

Revis is the BEST CB in the NFL.

Compare the late Sean Taylor: Taylor wasn't the best safety in the NFL his first couple of years, but he worked hard, and I think he was well on his way to being the best safety the NFL had seen since Ronnie Lott and was easily the best safety in the league before he died.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Easily. Notice that I didn't say "best." I said "most talented." I'm just talking about pure God given talent. Patrick Peterson is easily the most talented DB in the NFL IMO.

Compare the late Sean Taylor: Taylor wasn't the best safety in the NFL his first couple of years, but he worked hard, and I think he was well on his way to being the best safety the NFL had seen since Ronnie Lott and was easily the best safety in the league before he died.

I miss Sean Taylor.

I remember I got ridiculed when he entered the draft the year he did for saying that if the 9ers had the # 1 overall pick, I would have selected him. I endorsed Sean Taylor so hard that year it wasn't even funny.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, the most talented defensive player alone, I still wouldn't put PP in the top 5 or 10 IMO.

Talented, well, maybe potential, but talented hasn't been set in stone for PP yet.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well, the most talented defensive player alone, I still wouldn't put PP in the top 5 or 10 IMO.

Talented, well, maybe potential, but talented hasn't been set in stone for PP yet.

This is true. But CB is a hard position in which to develop. He deserves a good couple of seasons (at least) before we can really tell what kind of player he's going to be.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you forgetting that Miller lit the combine up? 4.46 at 6'3" 250 lbs. He had a 10'6" broad, 4.12 shuttle, a 6.88 3-cone, and a 37 inch verticle. He's one of the most talented defensive players to enter the draft the last 10 years.

From a pure freak athlete standpoint, J.J. Watt also compares to Mario Williams.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh ok, that I'll believe. lol....

hmm Peterson as a top 15.....

NO particular order... I guess, I think I'd still name a few more before PP. For me he made more plays in STs rather than on defense IIRC. So that doesn't put him up there for me.

pw
ray
ware
peppers
revis
ngata
jsmith
wilson
urlacher
suh
matthews
woodson
suggs
mario
wilfork

Where is Pierre-Paul? Von Miller? Watt?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you forgetting that Miller lit the combine up? 4.46 at 6'3" 250 lbs. He had a 10'6" broad, 4.12 shuttle, a 6.88 3-cone, and a 37 inch verticle. He's one of the most talented defensive players to enter the draft the last 10 years.

From a pure freak athlete standpoint, J.J. Watt also compares to Mario Williams.

To add to that, most people looked at Watt as a "motor" guy before the combine. I was talking about him as a top-5 pick before, and then he goes to the combine and posts a 4.81 40, a 37" vertical, 34 reps, 10' broad, 4.21 shuttle, and a 6.88 3-cone at 6'6" 290 lbs.

Watt actually had a much better shuttle and 3-cone than Super Mario. Same reps. Mario had him beat in the 40/vert.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Watt's a beast. If Mario had Watt's motor he'd be unstoppable.

JPP & Von Miller are up there too; I give the edge to Mario not necessarily because of how well he moves but how well he moves for his size.

Force = mass X acceleration; I'd bet the force Mario exerts moving his body is top 5 for defensive players, but Miller has amazing ability too. He & JPP are probably top 10.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Seahawks' DE quest
4:01 PM ETSeattle Seahawks

The Seattle Seahawks are one team that is expected to address their pass-rush this offseason, through free agency, the draft or both. Cited as one of the teams that could get involved in the bidding for Mario Williams, there's a feeling that if they miss on the former No. 1 overall pick, they'll move on to some less prestigious -- but still quite capable -- players, like Robert Mathis or Cliff Avril. Speaking from the combine, Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll would neither confirm nor deny interest in anyone specifically.

"We're going to entertain every opportunity because that's just the way we do it," he explained, per Danny O'Neil of the Seattle Times. Carroll isn't just displaying a poker face here, the NFL has tampering rules that outlaw -- amongst other things -- discussing players that are not yet free agents.

As for the draft, O'Neil writes that players such as South Carolina's Melvin Ingram and USC's Nick Perry could be under consideration. Perry was recruited by Carroll, and has established himself as one of the rising prospects this draft season.

- Tim Kavanagh

John Clayton
Seahawks in good position to snag Mario

"Williams will end up on a 4-3 team. I think it could be Seattle."

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That'd be one nasty DL.

They went all crazy with the FA last offseason too.