• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Draft Picks

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there will be a ton of counter arguments to what I'm about to say, but here me out:

I think we can all agree that the Mariners have done a phenomenal job drafting and developing pitchers, so I'll focus on hitting, which I think they've done a decent job of lately, albeit we have yet to see it pay dividends at the major league level.

All these rankings are per MLB.com: Harry Ford is considered the 26th best prospect in baseball, Cole Young #57, Garbiel Gonzalez #98. Former Mariners prospects (who were ranked before being traded) Noelvi Marte and Edwin Arroyo spent most of their career in the Mariners system and are ranked #17 and #25 respectively. It's yet to be seen how their careers will end up, but the last few years it actually looks like we've done a pretty solid job identifying and developing talent.
That's giving a lot of benefit of the doubt. Not sure how "decent job" can come out of "yet to see it pay dividends" and "yet to be seen".

Prospect rankings for hitters are incredibly hit and miss. Mostly miss.

I have a little faith in the Rainiers staff, but low a through double a? Nope.

As I've said before, I'm fine with keeping on Jerry and all of the goons he hired throughout the system for another year if owners give him a bigger payroll. I'm not fine with keeping him any longer making his idiotic draft picks and wheeler dealing shit for shit. He's tried his best, but he can't build an org through drafts and trades. I'm betting he'll fuck up even if he does get a decent payroll next year, and again, all I want is for him to pick pitchers in any draft hes a part of for the next guy to try to do something with, either through development for us or for trading them to orgs that actually do develop hitters worth more than a warm bucket of spit.

Last edited:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'm not trying to have a go at you seahawksfan. I'm just pushing 50, so I have maybe 4 more rebuilds left with enough marbles upstairs to enjoy a WS appearance. I understand the desperation I got from my dad and from other fans as they got older lol.

Would love to be wrong about everything I've said.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'm not trying to have a go at you seahawksfan. I'm just pushing 50, so I have maybe 4 more rebuilds left with enough marbles upstairs to enjoy a WS appearance. I understand the desperation I got from my dad and from other fans as they got older lol.

I'm 56 so I am down to 3...lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just pushing 50
I hope you have better luck than me in your 50's. I was a workout warrior in my 40's and then 50's hit and I hit bottom. Don't stop doing whatever you are doing because once it is gone it is gone.

Me in my 40's.

40's.jpg

Me at 56.

papa.jpeg

lol. You all will get to that point where you are a shell of your former self. :suds:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beauty..lolol..

Ok..
Mariners picked....all good..position picks.
The way I see it..
Some extra.3hs..but.ok..paliarin8 can play 1b I know..it..lolol..

But .5..outfield guys..3 3rd base.guys..
2 I know are good..I have to check the 3rd.
Then 3..ss..infields..??..
Then pitchers...ok then.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not..sure 9n any of the..pitchers..
A lot could be bull pen guys.im not sure..

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree regarding the last part.

The money pool stuff creates incentives for teams to take lesser players at the slotted spot. Perfect example is that the guy we took in the second round was apparently because he'd be cheap to sign.
I really don’t see the point of slotting or international pooling. In theory I do because you don’t want all of the teams that actually spend to get all of the talent but that should’ve been worked into the CBA with the whole lottery thing. IMO your money should be tied to your lottery slot and it rolls over if you can’t sign a guy and it work out with your money pool. I just think it would’ve been cool if the Mariners could’ve traded a few prospects and cash to get a top 5 pick.

So many things that if I were commissioner I would love to change, but then again we have to realize that the commissioner is just guy who takes all the arrows for what the owners want.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's giving a lot of benefit of the doubt. Not sure how "decent job" can come out of "yet to see it pay dividends" and "yet to be seen".

Prospect rankings for hitters are incredibly hit and miss. Mostly miss.

I have a little faith in the Rainiers staff, but low a through double a? Nope.

As I've said before, I'm fine with keeping on Jerry and all of the goons he hired throughout the system for another year if owners give him a bigger payroll. I'm not fine with keeping him any longer making his idiotic draft picks and wheeler dealing shit for shit. He's tried his best, but he can't build an org through drafts and trades. I'm betting he'll fuck up even if he does get a decent payroll next year, and again, all I want is for him to pick pitchers in any draft hes a part of for the next guy to try to do something with, either through development for us or for trading them to orgs that actually do develop hitters worth more than a warm bucket of spit.

Hey as I said, I know there are a ton of counter arguments and I don't disagree with any of what you said. Just mostly pointing out that it looks like things appear to be trending up. My "decent job" argument was predicated on the way things are currently looking, we won't really know as you pointed out in your point that it's hit or miss. I just think it's been a while since we've had this much success in these rankings, hence the "yet to pay dividends," and "yet to be seen" comments. Bro don't make fun of my wording lol!

Dude you're all good. The debates we have amongst each other are what make things here interesting. In the end we're all on the same side and all want the same thing so I never take any of it personally.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t see the point of slotting or international pooling. In theory I do because you don’t want all of the teams that actually spend to get all of the talent but that should’ve been worked into the CBA with the whole lottery thing. IMO your money should be tied to your lottery slot and it rolls over if you can’t sign a guy and it work out with your money pool. I just think it would’ve been cool if the Mariners could’ve traded a few prospects and cash to get a top 5 pick.

So many things that if I were commissioner I would love to change, but then again we have to realize that the commissioner is just guy who takes all the arrows for what the owners want.
100% agree.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you have better luck than me in your 50's. I was a workout warrior in my 40's and then 50's hit and I hit bottom. Don't stop doing whatever you are doing because once it is gone it is gone.

Me in my 40's.

View attachment 333991

Me at 56.

View attachment 333992

lol. You all will get to that point where you are a shell of your former self. :suds:

Im 61.and..i.say..we are.not done with this..
Yet...not by a long shot..
A 2b and a3b.will come.around...

It may not.be cardinals .3b..but it may be .Locklear..or pagliarnini..or Williamson..
3b.are not so easy to get ..in the mean time..

Suarez..and maybe..Rojas..(Arizona)..who is in the minors..as platoon..cabarillo and Garcia..(nationals)..as platoon..
For example..

WhItch would cost a few bull pen guys..
Brash..for.
Arizona. McCarthy..of .with Rojas..and some more..would seem..a haul..for the mariners..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A
Hernandez.4.4.gurreil..3.3 trade..with Rojas..0.5.
Would be real close..

Then only.garcia to go.....if you please

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe hand them Lopez of royals.

Trade for Garcia..??? With Moore as well

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaving..
Julio..
Kelenic..
Raliegh..
Suarez.as strike outs..

With Suarez in platoon with Rojas..

Caberello..2b/3b/ss..with platoon.garcia.Left.

Only missing an outfield..as platoon.
With Ford..at DH..
Then put in your best. Guy..at the time and situation.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resign gurriel...
Sign Snell..

And the 3rd guy not needed.
Conforto..
Ford..xxxxx..s.conforto..unfortunatly

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineup

1crawford.L/L..ss
2julio..cf

3garcia..L/L..2b

4france...1b

5gurriel jr...rf

6ford...L/L..DH..1b
7raliegh..catch
8.kelenic..LF.L/L
8suarez..3b..

Bench..
Murphy..
Cabellero..2b/3b/ss..
Rojas..L/L.
Of..er

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a bit at Tacoma rolas would be his old self..

Lololoo

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is baseball..not basketball..whitch.they keep trying to make it..
Basketball lottery..====corruption..all lottery's do.one way or an other...
But mlb wants to incert it...have they no..decency......guess not...

But I under stand what your saying..
There is bonus pool. Money for signing..
International..players..
Every team..get...xxx amount depending..
On...whatever they say...usually..
A team like the mariners..hire an international..
Guy..for recruiting..or.a guy .and some agency's..like in Panama or whatever.

Or Amsterdam..the bonus pool..money.
Is to sign the players..
They usually..every team..has recruited .there own guys a lot of times..sometimes..more than one team..will be on the same player

Amazingly..not often though..the kids know what's going on..and usually..have picked there team well..in advance..

They see no reason to change.it cuz it's working for the mariners..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sense the mariners hired..the new international.
Guy they have know..they have had more international top recruits than ever before

Good job.to that guy...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00