• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this is the M's, we all know this veteran OF is an Endy Chavez esque talent.

Nothing to see here.

"veteran" can mean so many things

with z, it means old and cheap most of the time

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9h9 hours ago McClendon on potential Miller transition: "Really doesn't make sense to move a SS to the OF when you have OFs that play OF"

now i understand why he was hired.

ASTUTE

just get us some OF that play OF well, and we'll call it a plan!

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch it be Ichiro.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro to the Marlins....thank you Marlins.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now i understand why he was hired.

ASTUTE

just get us some OF that play OF well, and we'll call it a plan!

What a concept, ay?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9h9 hours ago Zduriencik says #Mariners working on "some things" that could lead to adding a veteran outfielder.

My guess is Craig from Boston. They are trying him at 3B because he doesn't have a spot on the team. That sounds like he will soon be dealt because I don't see him playing 3B for a team wanting to contend.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is Craig from Boston. They are trying him at 3B because he doesn't have a spot on the team. That sounds like he will soon be dealt because I don't see him playing 3B for a team wanting to contend.

Doesn't Boston already have an expensive 3B?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Boston already have an expensive 3B?

Ya but that is what the article said. But remember also that Big Panda doesn't survive a whole season and new, large and probably last big contract may lead to even Bigger panda.

But ya, it didn't make sense so that is why I figured that is who may be dealt.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Craig have a home in Boston?

January, 23, 2015 Jan 23
11:05
AM ET

By AJ Mass | ESPN Insider

It would not be surprising to see Allen Craig in the starting lineup for the Boston Red Sox on a rather routine basis in 2015, but exactly where he might end up defensively on any given day is a little bit harder to predict.

According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, the Red Sox [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]558357443093479425[/MEDIA]"]are considering [/ame]adding another position to Craig's big league repertoire in 2015. While the current plan is to use Craig at first base, both corner outfield spots and in the designated hitter role, the team is also looking to use the versatile player from time to time at third base.

Craig did man the hot corner on four separate occasions when he was with the St. Louis Cardinals, but the last time was in 2011. Additionally, the signing of Pablo Sandoval certainly wasn't made with the idea of any sort of platoon at third base in mind -- so any spring experimentation may end up being moot.

As Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes, "(Manager John) Farrell said he has spoken to Craig about playing third base in spring training to increase his versatility. But his best value to the Red Sox might still be in a trade, especially if he's able to prove during spring training that he's healthy."

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9h9 hours ago Zduriencik reflecting on 2014 payroll: "We didn't have the money available until midseason last year."

I don't think this got enough attention. To me it means a coupe of things: 1- We did have Cruz signed for 1 year at $7.5M with a team option for the same amount for the next year. 2- All the talk about owners nixing the deal because of concerns about players on PEDS was B.S.

Owners cheaped out (big surprise there) and cost us a legit shot at the play in game to make the playoffs. How many chances do M's get at getting a playoff opportunity? 4 or 5 in its history? One of the worst ownership groups around. Ug!!!

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the way I read it I think that extra money at mid season came when it became clear Hart wouldnt meet his incentives in his deal. It was what a $6 mil dollar deal with up to 5-7 mil in incentives. So thats how money was available to add Morales and A Jax for 2 months.

Either way that Hart contract could have gone to Cruz especially if you were willing to give Hart 11-13 mill for a productive year. I dont buy the PEDS thing either, just a convenient excuse that got put out there.

But yea theres no way to say last year wasnt a blown opportunity. Usual contenders like the Red Sox, Yankees, Rays and Rangers all had down years and the A's choked in down the stretch. It was there to bed had and I dont think an opportunity that golden will come around again. Not to say they wont ever make the playoffs but I dont think there will be a road as easy as last year ever again.

Now I see the West being super tough. The Angels have a bunch of young pitching ready to supplant Weaver and Wilson. The Astros are building and added to their lineup nicely. The A's I think still retooled to field a decent team. The Rangers will be healthy and added Gallardo. I dont think its a cinch the M's will finish 3rd. I'm not sure just adding Cruz is enough because I think the road this year will be light years tougher then last year.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think this got enough attention. To me it means a coupe of things: 1- We did have Cruz signed for 1 year at $7.5M with a team option for the same amount for the next year. 2- All the talk about owners nixing the deal because of concerns about players on PEDS was B.S.

Owners cheaped out (big surprise there) and cost us a legit shot at the play in game to make the playoffs. How many chances do M's get at getting a playoff opportunity? 4 or 5 in its history? One of the worst ownership groups around. Ug!!!

I don't get how the Mariners can semi cry foul when it comes to the budget when with the new television contract they are making more money now with less going out than when Bavasi spiked the payroll. They have the two perfect examples of franchises that make money do it as you have to spend money to make money right across the street from them, why not copy the business model to get the stadium full instead of counting on opening day, half of Felix's starts and huge promotion nights.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with both of you completely. I know it is redundant, but man ownership is just brutal. And if Jack knows the budget each year like I would assume he does, then why did he use it all on one guy last year? I know Cano is the man, but one man never won us a championship. Heck, if Griffey couldn't do it in his prime (and he had talent around him to a degree) then how did they ever think Cano could do it? SMH X 1Million

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with both of you completely. I know it is redundant, but man ownership is just brutal. And if Jack knows the budget each year like I would assume he does, then why did he use it all on one guy last year? I know Cano is the man, but one man never won us a championship. Heck, if Griffey couldn't do it in his prime (and he had talent around him to a degree) then how did they ever think Cano could do it? SMH X 1Million

Sums it up, why is so hard for people who make money off the team to actually care about the teams success. They are smart business men but JC how in the world does winning the WS not make money. Business 101 teaches you to spend a little extra to reach the pinnacle of your profession, can't run a business on your philosophy of being afraid to lose money (especially when you spend millions of a fricking television for your stadium.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep agree you cant do that in baseball. If your on a strict budget which seems to be the case you need evaluate talent better in the minor leagues and on the free agent market. Jack hasnt proven to do either offensively outside of Seagar. Im not give him credit for throwing a bunch of money at Cano because I feel anyone can do that.
I do love the Cruz signing but at the same time there was zero reason that it shouldnt have happened last year.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love the Cruz signing but at the same time there was zero reason that it shouldnt have happened last year.

you really want to get my blood pressure up, don't you

what could have been

i get ill

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you really want to get my blood pressure up, don't you

what could have been

i get ill

All the M's had to do to get the #1 overall pick(Strasburg) was lose the final game of the season....could/should of had Jones,Choo,Strasburg,Fister,Rendon(instead of Hultzen) and I'm sure there's more.... smh

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the M's had to do to get the #1 overall pick(Strasburg) was lose the final game of the season....could/should of had Jones,Choo,Strasburg,Fister,Rendon(instead of Hultzen) and I'm sure there's more.... smh

Worse than that actually. All they needed to do was lose 1 of the final 3 games. We won all 3 with Morrow, Rowland-Smith, and Dickey...SMH.