• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus McNeill

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Heard on sports radio today that he had a very similar thing to Peyton Manning, yet McNeill is not signed yet. He's a Pro Bowl LT when healthy.

Why not see if we can sign this guy? How about this idea?
Sign McNeill, and slide Davis to RG, and keep Boone as the swing backup T.

Staley - Iupati - Goodwin - Davis - McNeill
Boone: backup swing tackle, and RT in case McNeill gets hurt
Then let all the other guys fight it out in training camp for backup C and backup G.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tempting, but I didn't know it was a nexk injury. It's one thing for a QB to have a neck injury, but it's an entirely different thing to have a guy w/ a nexk injury trying to push D-linemen. I'm gonna take one from Lane w/ McNeil:

[YOUTUBE]hKV1UxLJD-Y[/YOUTUBE]

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'd prefer an OG playing OG versus a converted OT, don't think Davis played OG at Rutgers? if we were really desparate, then we'd have no choice, but we're not desparate.

we have Kilgore with one year in and Looney who may have a decent shot? let these guys tryout at RG now, see what happens?

if Boone is doing as well as Bentley says, keep him at OT. if he's better than Davis or even Staley, then start him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis' development at RT was excellent and I would not want disrupt his progress at his natural position.

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There are a few guards left on the free agent market...

Eric stienbach..Age:32 the browns cut him this off season he was hurt all of last season but once was one of the top guards in the league

Jake scott....Age:31...he is a good pass blocker but struggles blocking against the run probably a bad fit for the 49ers since we are a run first team

Bobbie williams...Age:35 he broke his ankle last season in dec but is a good run blocker i'd rather go with what we got now i doubt he got a lot left in the tank

Chris Kemoeatu, Age: 29 i doubt he would make the team he was one of the reason big ben had to run for his life and he is injury prone

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few guards left on the free agent market...

Eric stienbach..Age:32 the browns cut him this off season he was hurt all of last season but once was one of the top guards in the league

Jake scott....Age:31...he is a good pass blocker but struggles blocking against the run probably a bad fit for the 49ers since we are a run first team

Bobbie williams...Age:35 he broke his ankle last season in dec but is a good run blocker i'd rather go with what we got now i doubt he got a lot left in the tank

Chris Kemoeatu, Age: 29 i doubt he would make the team he was one of the reason big ben had to run for his life and he is injury prone

Barring injury or someone noteworthy being released, I would be pretty shocked if we signed a RG at this point.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seems like we are loading up at WR and RB, with vets and high draft pick rookies, but at RG we still don't know what the answer is.

Maybe it's A. Davis. Baalke actually said in an interview today that is not out of the question, and A. Davis is cool with it if it does happen.

If it is A. Davis, then Boone at RT, all our backup OL men are unproven.

I think we almost HAVE to sign another veteran OL man. Maybe we'll make some cuts, save some money, then pick up some other vet OL man after he gets cut.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer for RG is Looney or Kilgore.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we almost HAVE to sign another veteran OL man. Maybe we'll make some cuts, save some money, then pick up some other vet OL man after he gets cut.

The one thing this staff has shown, they do not do what they HAVE to. They released Edwards late last season during a playoff push when we really didn't have any starting caliber alternative. They do whatever they think is best for the team.

If they didn't have faith in the guys we have, they would have tried harder in FA or the draft. I think their efforts at bringing in a veteran lineman (or lack thereof) speaks volumes about their confidence in the guys we have.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd prefer an OG playing OG versus a converted OT, don't think Davis played OG at Rutgers? if we were really desparate, then we'd have no choice, but we're not desparate.

we have Kilgore with one year in and Looney who may have a decent shot? let these guys tryout at RG now, see what happens?

if Boone is doing as well as Bentley says, keep him at OT. if he's better than Davis or even Staley, then start him.

I have no problem with converting Tackles to Guards, it's done often from college to the NFL and even just a NFL team moving a Tackle to Guard (Robert Gallery, Vernon Carey)

If the 49ers view Davis as the best option at Guard with Boone at RT, then that is what they should do. I am sure they think Davis is better at RT then Boone which is why Boone is getting a look at Guard as you want your best Offensive Linemen on the field, they will have a lot of competition between Kilgore, Looney and Boone and should find a capable starter among the three.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The one thing this staff has shown, they do not do what they HAVE to. They released Edwards late last season during a playoff push when we really didn't have any starting caliber alternative. They do whatever they think is best for the team.

If they didn't have faith in the guys we have, they would have tried harder in FA or the draft. I think their efforts at bringing in a veteran lineman (or lack thereof) speaks volumes about their confidence in the guys we have.

agree.

not adamant we don't move Davis or bring in another Vet OG, but this doesn't seem like the time? if we're going to 'experiment' with Davis at OG, might as well experiment Kilgore and Looney at RG? if we add another player to the RG mix, both Kilgore and Looney lose reps.

let Kilgore and Looney work in OTA's and TC, see what we got first?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have no problem with converting Tackles to Guards, it's done often from college to the NFL and even just a NFL team moving a Tackle to Guard (Robert Gallery, Vernon Carey)

If the 49ers view Davis as the best option at Guard with Boone at RT, then that is what they should do. I am sure they think Davis is better at RT then Boone which is why Boone is getting a look at Guard as you want your best Offensive Linemen on the field, they will have a lot of competition between Kilgore, Looney and Boone and should find a capable starter among the three.

not averse to players changing position, but in this case of O-linemen, don't see the need? its done in the NFL when OT utterly fails at OT. if you want to say Davis has failed, then try Boone at RT and make Davis the swing OT.

if i had to bet on who'd make the better RG, my money goes on Looney first, Kilgore second, and Boone last. because Boone (or Davis) has a bigger adjustment than the other two.

so my money would be on Kilgore or Looney making it the best five linemen.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Or Boone. I'd rather they keep him at tackle, but seems that he's in the mix and wants a starting gig.

which NFL player doesn't want a starting gig?

if he wants to start, then beat out Staley or Davis. OT's are hard to come by, Boone helps most being the swing OT.

can he block or catch on jumbo formations?

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I am hoping Kilgore tears it up at RG, or the new kid Looney gets healthy and makes people pay for passing on him

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if he wants to start, then beat out Staley or Davis. OT's are hard to come by, Boone helps most being the swing OT.

Priorities. Think Tebow could have been a starting FB or TE by now if he'd switched. So, yeah, everyone wants to start but probably at a certain position. Think Boone just wants to play, period. Two points...

1) I'm not sayin Boone will win the competition but he's in the mix without a doubt.

2) You say Boone helps the most by being the swing tackle. He helps the depth the most, but if he's far and away the best RG with a big drop to the others, he helps the most by starting. Depth is always nice but you're starters obviously are more crucial.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes but if Boone wants to switch positions and is motivated to and is better then the competition then he should start at OG. I would rather have the best OG on the field then him on the bench backing up OT. He would also backup Tackle while starting at Guard.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Our D is loaded. We even added more via draft and free agency (Perrish Cox, and draft picks).

Our offensive skill positions are loaded now, we maxxed out on them as much as we could in the offseason: James, Jacobs, Cartwright, Moss, Manningham, Jenkins. +3 RBs, +3 WRs. We tried to get Peyton Manning, and we settled for Josh Johnson instead so we are even bringing in a 4th QB.

But seems like we haven't used the same strategy on the O-line. Sure Kilgore and Looney have potential but what if they don't cut it in the 1st year? What if there's a key injury (say Iupati or Staley) then we'll be real thin.

If we load up for a Superbowl run at all the offensive skill positions then we should do the same on the O-line. I expect us to wait for some cuts, and bring in a vet guard.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually stoked to see Anthony Davis and Kilgore this year. I have a good feeling about both of them this year. If Davis can get better against the pass his future is starting to look a lot better.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO trying to find an average OG is easier then trying to find an average OT based on the amount of space per position given to make mistakes. An OT, whether it be LT or RT, is making some serious protection decisions with enough space around to make for a potentially long afternoon for the QB if done incorrectly. As an OG, making protection decisions in a confined space is a bit easier both mentally as well as physically.

The thought of moving IMO an ABOVE average RT (and young...and getting better!) in Anthony Davis inside is crazy talk.