• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mack Brown back to North Carolina.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in favor of this, it gets the dumbass off the halftime shows.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love Miles to Kansas....

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any info on how much he's getting?

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right that SC and Clemson do not recruit extremely hard in North Carolina compared to Florida, Georgia, and SC. But that's because North Carolina isn't that talented of a football state. As far as high school players that wind up in the NFL, NC typically is about 13th, lagging behind pretty much all of the South except Mississippi (which is much better when controlled for population). That's why SC has traditionally dominated the Shrine Bowl despite being half of NC's size, and why SC high schools traditionally beat up on NC high schools.

NC typically only has 1 or 2 players in the top 100 recruiting rankings. For example, this year it's Quavaris Crouch. If Clemson or Georgia comes a-calling, it's tough for these top recruits to turn them down. After all, if you have NFL aspirations, don't you want to go to the places with the best developing coaches, the best facilities, and the chance to play on the biggest stages? And so UNC likely will not be able to sign many of the best players in North Carolina. As you said, they'll be competing with NC State, who has been better than UNC the past couple of years (and don't get me wrong, I despise NC State, their fans are the absolute worst), Virginia Tech, and UVA, who's on the rise, for a fairly small talent pool. I just don't see how UNC will rise to national prominence, especially since basketball will always be the primary sport for the school.

NC and SC are 5-5 in the Shrine Bowl the past ten years. NC currently has a 3 game winning streak in the Shrine Bowl..

NC typically has 15 5*/4* recruits and 50-55 kids that go P5 each year on scholarship. SC typically has 4-5 5*/4* recruits each year with 25-30 kids going P5.

and NC currently has more players in the NFL (55-43)

South Carolina is a great football state that produces great numbers per capita, but the idea that SC produces more football talent in total number of players isn't backed up by data

Daily List: States with the most players in the NFL

as I typed before, fending off VT and NCSU for recruits is manageable. VT is coming off of a 5-7 season and Dave Doeren is Dave Doeren.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did they fire their HC? Missed that.

Saturday night. A couple of hours after they lost to State

first time I saw the Brown to UNC rumor was during the NCSU game, when I saw select media members in the Raleigh-Durham area laugh it off as lunacy.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butch didn't do anything wrong. He wasn't shady or a bad hire. He should still be at UNC and no tellling where we'd be now. :gaah:

giphy.gif

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good ol' Uncle Clappy Butterteeth..

ORANGE SLICES FOR THE HOUSE!
orig

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m in favor of this, it gets the dumbass off the halftime shows.

This is now the current lineup for the Big 12 CG. Brent Musberger will call the game and Lou Holtz will do the analysis. Lee Corso will translate Lou Holtz for the hearing impaired. The half time show will be hairdressing tips from Jesse Palmer.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NC and SC are 5-5 in the Shrine Bowl the past ten years. NC currently has a 3 game winning streak in the Shrine Bowl..

NC typically has 15 5*/4* recruits and 50-55 kids that go P5 each year on scholarship. SC typically has 4-5 5*/4* recruits each year with 25-30 kids going P5.

South Carolina is a great football state that produces great numbers per capita, but the idea that SC produces more football talent in total number of players isn't backed up by data

as I typed before, fending off VT and NCSU for recruits is manageable. VT is coming off of a 5-7 season and Dave Doeren is Dave Doeren.

There was a time when SC owned NC in the Shrine Bowl but not in recent years like you said. Todd Gurley, from Tarboro, NC, was a recent prize when recruiters from all over the nation were camped out at his doorsteps before Georgia signed him. So, you are correct about the data with NC vs. SC when it comes to recruiting.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when Gary Darnell, legendary HC of my Broncos, turned down the UNC gig.

Good times...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree, if he also found ECU-level OCs (circa 2013) then that would really be the icing on their cake. I am HOPING that to stay ahead of the curve, we drop our OC and try and snag a good up and coming OC at VT. Otherwise, we may be settling ourselves back more than some of the other Coastal teams.

We should do this but Fuente is an idiot so don't get your hopes up.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're wrong about almost every fact.

So first, I said traditionally. SC leads in Shrine Bowl wins 44-32. It takes more than a three year streak to change a state's football perception. Yes, South Carolina has had a few down years with traditional powers like Byrnes, Gaffney, Berkeley, Irmo, and Greenwood falling off. But traditionally, SC has held a sizable lead, which shouldn't be the case when one state is twice the size of the other.

Second, South Carolina has more players in the NFL, although the data is different about how much more.

Florida, Georgia lead new ranking of top birth states for NFL players; Ohio is 10th
Here Are The High Schools, States & Cities Producing The Most NFL Talent Right Now
LOOK: These states produce the most NFL players

Third, North Carolina does not typically have 15 5 star and 4 star recruits. In the past 10 years, North Carolina has had one year with 15 blue-chip players (2016). They typically hover around 7-9. 2014 was a good year for them too with 11. South Carolina averages around 5-6. But I wasn't comparing the amount of 4 star talent, though again, they far outperform North Carolina per capita. I was saying, North Carolina only has 1-2 5 star players a year, which UNC is very unlikely to ever get (because it would be an objectively bad decision for them to go there if they're really NFL caliber players). Without these game changers, it will be difficult to make waves in the ACC. Clemson has 46 4 or 5 stars on their roster (9 5 stars). Florida State has 43 (7 5 stars). Miami has 34 (2 5 stars). Virginia Tech has 14. UNC has 11, and these 5 4 stars we're talking about, if you get every single one of them, isn't going to overcome that massive talent difference. And you're unlikely to beat out these schools for every recruit, when they're better programs right now with more support behind them. Yeah, Virginia Tech is coming off of a 5-7 season. UNC is coming off a 2-9 season.

OnlyCrimson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he will hire Gary Danielson as an assistant. Then we will lose another terrible football commentator.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if we can just find a way to get Lee Corso and Joey Galloway off our tv sets well be golden.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as high school players that wind up in the NFL, NC typically is about 13th, lagging behind pretty much all of the South except Mississippi (which is much better when controlled for population). That's why SC has traditionally dominated the Shrine Bowl despite being half of NC's size, and why SC high schools traditionally beat up on NC high schools.

There was a time when SC owned NC in the Shrine Bowl but not in recent years like you said. Todd Gurley, from Tarboro, NC, was a recent prize when recruiters from all over the nation were camped out at his doorsteps before Georgia signed him. So, you are correct about the data with NC vs. SC when it comes to recruiting.

SC leads in Shrine Bowl wins 44-32. It takes more than a three year streak to change a state's football perception. Yes, South Carolina has had a few down years with traditional powers like Byrnes, Gaffney, Berkeley, Irmo, and Greenwood falling off. But traditionally, SC has held a sizable lead, which shouldn't be the case when one state is twice the size of the other.

Dang, I missed out on this discussion :pout:

When I was in school, during the early to mid 80's, SC dominated NC at the High School level. They won the Shrine Bowl seven straight times from 81-87, and that was part of a larger run of 15-5 from 1970 to 1989. It's been more even since then, with SC holding a 15-13 advantage since 1990.

The county where I grew up used to play a season-opening Jamboree with another county in NC, called the Old Hickory Classic, which would pit high schools from each state for one quarter each. The Sandlappers usually won the bragging rights -- to be Andrew Jackson's birthplace for that year. It got so lop-sided that NC eventually pulled out of it -- or so we were told. It probably just cost too much money.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the experiment is over before it started:

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe he will hire Gary Danielson as an assistant. Then we will lose another terrible football commentator.

Just as long as he hires Brian Griese as well. He's taken up Ed Cunningham's mantle as obnoxious prick color commentator since Ed stepped away from football.