• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mack Brown back to North Carolina.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be fair it is a " Basketball School" why not get an old, brittle, washed up coach!

Mack Brown alone would be a terrible hire. With Kliff Kingsbury and Gene Chizik it's a good short term hire and much less risky than Mel Tucker, Tony Elliott, Mike Norvell, and Mike Houston etc.

Reactions: DJ

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said that about Les to KU. How much could these old coaches have to offer in a rebuild? The only plus I can see is that no one would look to hire them away if they succeed.

And if you turn the program around in 3 years it's a lot easier to hire a long term solution with the next hire.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They hired him as a person who can steady the program.

Stop the slide.

He should be able to lure good coordinators to the program
and they will be loyal to him, because he'll, more than likely,
be able to name his replacement when he does hang it up.

This is not a bad move for them at the present time.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown alone would be a terrible hire. With Kliff Kingsbury and Gene Chizik it's a good short term hire and much less risky than Mel Tucker, Tony Elliott, Mike Norvell, and Mike Houston etc.

Because of how swimmingly things went with Chizik the last time he was DC in Chapel Hill?

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of how swimmingly things went with Chizik the last time he was DC in Chapel Hill?

He was fine. We were improving with him. Also, a lot of our recruits played on the offensive side of the ball, really didn't have any DL. If Kliff is running the offense, Gene is plenty good enough as a DC to make us competitive. It wasn't that long ago we were hanging with Clemson in the ACCCG the year they played for the Natty. That was Chiziks first year.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, they did hire Butch Davis in 2007, the architect of Miami's last national title

Fair enough, but that hiring didn't exactly go well for them. He unfortunately got caught up in some shady shit that wasn't necessarily of his own making. Butch is doing all right for himself down in Florida Atlantic ATM.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but that hiring didn't exactly go well for them. He unfortunately got caught up in some shady shit that wasn't necessarily of his own making. Butch is doing all right for himself down in Florida Atlantic ATM.

Butch didn't do anything wrong. He wasn't shady or a bad hire. He should still be at UNC and no tellling where we'd be now. :gaah:

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was fine. We were improving with him. Also, a lot of our recruits played on the offensive side of the ball, really didn't have any DL. If Kliff is running the offense, Gene is plenty good enough as a DC to make us competitive. It wasn't that long ago we were hanging with Clemson in the ACCCG the year they played for the Natty. That was Chiziks first year.

Yep. That was the year the ACC gave us our bye week in September and by the time we got to the ACCCG it was our 10th game in 10 weeks. Lack of depth on defense caught up to us in that one, don't really recall Chizik's D stopping us all that much considering we put up over 600 yards and 45 points.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butch didn't do anything wrong. He wasn't shady or a bad hire. He should still be at UNC and no tellling where we'd be now. :gaah:

I'm not sure he would have had the same success as at Miami, but yeah, he would have probably kept the program in better shape than Fedora.

There is GOOD football talent in the state, it's just spread out too thinly amongst all the FBS programs, plus some of them wind up in Clemson, Columbia, or Knoxville. If any coach came into one of those schools and locked down the best in-state guys...

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. That was the year the ACC gave us our bye week in September and by the time we got to the ACCCG it was our 10th game in 10 weeks. Lack of depth on defense caught up to us in that one, don't really recall Chizik's D stopping us all that much considering we put up over 600 yards and 45 points.

I didn't say he stopped you. I said we were right there in it at the end. Chizik took the worst defense in power five football and improved them. Facts. Never said he made them great.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure he would have had the same success as at Miami, but yeah, he would have probably kept the program in better shape than Fedora.

There is GOOD football talent in the state, it's just spread out too thinly amongst all the FBS programs, plus some of them wind up in Clemson, Columbia, or Knoxville. If any coach came into one of those schools and locked down the best in-state guys...

Yeah, but butch was turning 2star qb recruits into NFL LBs. He turned a lot of 3 and 4 star players into successful players and we had a ton of NFL players that weren't the highest rated recruits and we recruited a lot better. We were moving in the right direction. I think Larry Fedora's offense was more in tune with what works today though, so I'm not sure we would've ever been as good as we got under Fedora.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or are you grooming Kliff in a few years to learn under Mack and then take the program over.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kingsbury will be an NFL OC next season, no way he follows mack to a basketball school. I'd expect Mack to bring in Greg Davis, get the band back together.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or are you grooming Kliff in a few years to learn under Mack and then take the program over.

I don't have any idea, I'd imagine that's the only way he comes to Chapel Hill though. I don't have inside sources, I'm just going off of what I'm hearing from InsideCarolina and Twitter

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kingsbury will be an NFL OC next season, no way he follows mack to a basketball school. I'd expect Mack to bring in Greg Davis, get the band back together.

I don't see why not. The Stones are going back on tour together next year.....

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're right, I hope we're looking for a new athletic director.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) MACK is an exceptional CEO, fundraiser, and recruiter, possibly one of the best in history at that part.

He does not lose that skill with age He faked the old man folksy "aw shucks" charisma even when he was 40 years old.
Getting older might help him even more since his whole schtick was being a loveable grandpa from the heartland.
Boosters will love that act. And recruits will as well.

2) Mack was less than exceptional at the Xs and Os part. He was mediocre and unwilling to learn it.
He relies on his assistants for that part and doesn't shy away from admitting he does it.
With good assistants, Texas was a dominant 10 win machine, as they maximized his recruits.
When bad assistants, Texas struggled and got passed by, even with Mack's recruits.

This hire is incomplete until we see whom he brings in as assistant coaches.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure the lack of academic standards for players is something that Mack was used to and definitely helped in his decision to go to UNC.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this was a joke... yikes.