• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: M3 Pittsburgh Penguins @ M2 New York Islanders

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always find the reaction to one game pretty hilarious. By almost every measure (score, shots, high danger scoring chances) this was a very close game. But the reactions are very, very different - I presume it has something to do with incoming team expectations. (Which also don't make sense considering the Isles are the home team and a better team according to many statistical predictors.)

Anyway, as a Pens fan, reasons for optimism:
  • Teams traded chances and odd-man rushes all game. If the Isles continue to play that way, it's nothing but good news for the Pens.
  • We lost a game where Lehner was stellar and Murray was average. (I won't say bad because those goals came on fantastic chances.) That should balance out; Murray has shown that he can bounce back, and the Pens offense will usually break a goalie that gives up that many chances.
  • Malkin looked great. Phil looked great (and should have scored another). If those two are clicking, the Pens are suddenly contenders.
  • We lost a close game despite Crosby and Guentzel not really showing up. They were really well-played by the Isles fourth line (who were fantastic) but I also don't expect that to last.
  • Some confidence for Shultz is good.
  • Gudbranson looked good, shockingly.
  • Sullivan willing to bench Johnson, showing he's not going to be overly stubborn.
  • Simon looked great - we will need some scoring from unexpected places and he looks like a candidate.
  • Bjugstad looked good as well.
And pessimism:
  • Maatta was brutal. Just brutal. I actually think it might be worth starting JJ over him. Shocking, I know, but he has looked competent at times this season, and might handle the playoff-level physicality better. I don't know if Maatta knows how to properly play on the edge, and against a team like the Isles, there are tons of players that can absolutely torch him.
  • What if the Isles fourth line does continue to shut down Sid and Jake? *shudder*
  • Rust, McCann, Hornqvist and a bunch of the supporting cast just did not have it on offense. Rust in particular did nothing on the top line, McCann looked super timid, and Horny is snakebit on offense. Need more from them. Maybe swap Horny and Rust?
  • Murray... he's been great down the stretch, and wasn't bad last night, but he'll have to steal a game or two. But that goes for every goalie.
  • Letang - I don't blame him as much for last night as others. Going one on three is not as bad as making a bad pinch - if you're one-on-three there should be four other guys ready to defend the counter! But if he gets into his own head, he overthinks and tries to do too much, and compounds the problem. If Sullivan can get him to move past this one, he'll be fine. We need 2016 Letang or 2019 regular-season Letang, not 2018 playoff Letang!
Also, did anyone find it weird that the last goal didn't get talked about more as potential interference? I didn't think about it too much, I assumed it was just my own bias, but a coworker (not a Pens fan, I'm in Ottawa) came in and asked about it after seeing the replays. He thought it was obvious incidental interference, given that Murray was in his paint and prevented from making a play. I've certainly seen less obvious plays called for incidental contact.

Was it a case of "Well, we can't call back three goals in a game" or "Oh no, everybody is leaving, better not overturn it"? Or not even close to interference?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, did anyone find it weird that the last goal didn't get talked about more as potential interference? I didn't think about it too much, I assumed it was just my own bias, but a coworker (not a Pens fan, I'm in Ottawa) came in and asked about it after seeing the replays. He thought it was obvious incidental interference, given that Murray was in his paint and prevented from making a play. I've certainly seen less obvious plays called for incidental contact.

Was it a case of "Well, we can't call back three goals in a game" or "Oh no, everybody is leaving, better not overturn it"? Or not even close to interference?

Letang drove Barzal from behind into Murray so while there was contact, it was initiated by Letang and if Sullivan would have challenged, I don't think the goal would have been overturned.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letang drove Barzal from behind into Murray so while there was contact, it was initiated by Letang and if Sullivan would have challenged, I don't think the goal would have been overturned.
Also in OT there isn’t any coach initiated challenges. It was reviews automatically and the right call was made.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always find the reaction to one game pretty hilarious. By almost every measure (score, shots, high danger scoring chances) this was a very close game. But the reactions are very, very different - I presume it has something to do with incoming team expectations. (Which also don't make sense considering the Isles are the home team and a better team according to many statistical predictors.)

Anyway, as a Pens fan, reasons for optimism:
  • Teams traded chances and odd-man rushes all game. If the Isles continue to play that way, it's nothing but good news for the Pens.
  • We lost a game where Lehner was stellar and Murray was average. (I won't say bad because those goals came on fantastic chances.) That should balance out; Murray has shown that he can bounce back, and the Pens offense will usually break a goalie that gives up that many chances.
  • Malkin looked great. Phil looked great (and should have scored another). If those two are clicking, the Pens are suddenly contenders.
  • We lost a close game despite Crosby and Guentzel not really showing up. They were really well-played by the Isles fourth line (who were fantastic) but I also don't expect that to last.
  • Some confidence for Shultz is good.
  • Gudbranson looked good, shockingly.
  • Sullivan willing to bench Johnson, showing he's not going to be overly stubborn.
  • Simon looked great - we will need some scoring from unexpected places and he looks like a candidate.
  • Bjugstad looked good as well.
And pessimism:
  • Maatta was brutal. Just brutal. I actually think it might be worth starting JJ over him. Shocking, I know, but he has looked competent at times this season, and might handle the playoff-level physicality better. I don't know if Maatta knows how to properly play on the edge, and against a team like the Isles, there are tons of players that can absolutely torch him.
  • What if the Isles fourth line does continue to shut down Sid and Jake? *shudder*
  • Rust, McCann, Hornqvist and a bunch of the supporting cast just did not have it on offense. Rust in particular did nothing on the top line, McCann looked super timid, and Horny is snakebit on offense. Need more from them. Maybe swap Horny and Rust?
  • Murray... he's been great down the stretch, and wasn't bad last night, but he'll have to steal a game or two. But that goes for every goalie.
  • Letang - I don't blame him as much for last night as others. Going one on three is not as bad as making a bad pinch - if you're one-on-three there should be four other guys ready to defend the counter! But if he gets into his own head, he overthinks and tries to do too much, and compounds the problem. If Sullivan can get him to move past this one, he'll be fine. We need 2016 Letang or 2019 regular-season Letang, not 2018 playoff Letang!

The pessimism is more kidding around. If the Crosby and Guentzel don’t figure out how to beat that 4th line the Pens really don’t have a chance.

As for Maatta yeah he needs to sit and “shudder” at the thought of JJ playing but honestly it needs to happen.

I would also think about benching Hornqvist or Wilson for a game and let Blueger play.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, it wasn’t something that jumped out at me at the time, but honestly, it's so unclear what constitutes goalie interference in this league (incidental or not) I was wondering what others thought. The other two disallowed goals were pretty black and white.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pessimism is more kidding around. If the Crosby and Guentzel don’t figure out how to beat that 4th line the Pens really don’t have a chance.

As for Maatta yeah he needs to sit and “shudder” at the thought of JJ playing but honestly it needs to happen.

I would also think about benching Hornqvist or Wilson for a game and let Blueger play.

Johnson has had his ups and downs this season, which is already more than I expected (I expected it only downs). But our D gelled nicely while Maatta was out and in the playoffs, knowing what to expect from your teammates is not an insignificant thing. And with the Isles speed / physicality, JJ might respond better. He at least can’t be worse than Maatta was in game 1.

Hornqvist is just not really doing anything for me, and I normally like what he brings, even when not scoring. Rust too.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bench Rust and put McCann back with Sid and Guentzel. Watch them roll. Put blueger back in to

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson has had his ups and downs this season, which is already more than I expected (I expected it only downs). But our D gelled nicely while Maatta was out and in the playoffs, knowing what to expect from your teammates is not an insignificant thing. And with the Isles speed / physicality, JJ might respond better. He at least can’t be worse than Maatta was in game 1.

Hornqvist is just not really doing anything for me, and I normally like what he brings, even when not scoring. Rust too.

Totally agree. At least remove him from top PP unit.

As for JJ he did play well enough near the end of the season and the fact he led the team in hits/block shots that is a dynamic they need in the playoffs that Maatta just can't replicate.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench Rust and put McCann back with Sid and Guentzel. Watch them roll. Put blueger back in to
I agree. McCann should be playing with Crosby/Guentzel but they used him with Malkin to spread Kessel to the third line not sure how well that worked.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray sucks. Has no fucking clue where he's at after a shot.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray sucks. Has no fucking clue where he's at after a shot.
He really had no chance to get back in position on that play. The bad defense really put him in a position to make the great save on the first shot and then didn't bail him out on the rebound.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, a beauty by Eberle. Schultz with a very good Kris Russell imitation as well.

/That's a hat trick of Oilers and former Oilers in one post.