• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LT Options

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it draft magic or coaching? Seems like they hit often with defense, but have failed to draft offense like rb, wr, ol. With the exception of lockett most hits on O have been undrafted. Willson i think its average at best amd he is probably one of the better O picks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it draft magic or coaching? Seems like they hit often with defense, but have failed to draft offense like rb, wr, ol. With the exception of lockett most hits on O have been undrafted. Willson i think its average at best amd he is probably one of the better O picks.[/QUOTE Russell

Wilson by himself is huge win, Lockett looks good. Others have been at least decent, I'd include Turbin, Luke Wilson , Tate and the court is still out on Richardson ( not hopefull myself on his health), heck Michaels may even turn out to be useful. I don't actual care if they draft a player or find a gem after the draft, it's all good right.....?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok obviously I failed to mention Wilson, but that goes without saying I guess. Tate was good but gone, richardson too injured to play and might never be anything, turbin was an ok backup but nothing special.

it seems like on defense they are able to take almost anybody and coach them up, with the exception of cary williams.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced that they could find anything comparable to Okung if he goes. And they just can't afford to take even a single step backwards in regards to the o line at this point.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate may be gone but that doesn't speak at all to the front office's ability to hit on offensive talent in the draft.

They have been adequate on that side of the ball in the draft. Most of the bigger finds have been on D, but it also seems most of the draft capital has gone that way too. Richardson was really coming on in his rookie year, and I think he'll add another dimension next season with his top end speed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced that they could find anything comparable to Okung if he goes. And they just can't afford to take even a single step backwards in regards to the o line at this point.
We are on the same page Sonny. Not seeing great reports on OTs in this draft and finding one in the draft is always a crap shoot even in a good year for OL. Last year OL just wasn't good, no way can you go backwards and be competitive. Seems like some fans would rather the Seahawks fail rather then have them pay big bucks to a player they desperately need, but who hasn't lived up to their expections. Okung hasn't lived up to where he was drafted, but he's hands down the best OL the Seahawks have and replacing him with a equal talent just isn't in the cards. To me you resign him and try your best to find a replacement. Maybe this year they actually draft OL that can pass block. I found it surprising to see Nowak go from starter to right off the roster. Obviously he never should of started, but why kick him off the roster? Perhaps to keep his mentor from reinserting him on the field? IDK just speculating.

Bottom line is the Seahawks need to draft OL that can pass block or things are going to go to hell despite all the talent they have.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us want us to fail. I have never even advocated losing to improve draft position during a losing season.
Now that RW's contract has kicked in, this team is going to have more pressure against the cap than ever before.
The main reason these days for my contempt over Okung is his hit against the cap. IF our FO values Okung as much as many do, they will sign him.
Knowing what we know about Okung, would you venture into FA to sign him from another team?
It is my opinion the FO replaces him at LT.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of us want us to fail. I have never even advocated losing to improve draft position during a losing season.
Now that RW's contract has kicked in, this team is going to have more pressure against the cap than ever before.
The main reason these days for my contempt over Okung is his hit against the cap. IF our FO values Okung as much as many do, they will sign him.
Knowing what we know about Okung, would you venture into FA to sign him from another team?
It is my opinion the FO replaces him at LT.

With someone better then Okung, Uhsplit? The Seahawks can't afford to go further backwards on the OL then they have so far. They just can't. The offense couldn't function if it does and if the offense can't function the defense will break down also.
You all need to accept that resigning Okung is a must and make the cuts that have to be made. Hell cutting or trading Graham would solve the problem for the most part and that's just a example, cap space is always flexable, just a matter of who is more expendable. Given the state of talent on the OL Okung is not expendable just yet.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung should get the one year prove it deal, i doubt any team gives him a huge contract with all the question marks he has. If some dumb team does, he walks

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okung should get the one year prove it deal, i doubt any team gives him a huge contract with all the question marks he has. If some dumb team does, he walks
Guess Okung deal depends on the market, and that a scary thought, given how bare the market is. I swear 75% of NFL teams feel they need to improve the OL. For example both the Pats and Broncos need help on the OL in a big way. I'm pretty sure at least one team will be willing to take a gamble on Okung. Most likely numerous teams, that because everyone needs help on the OL, OK not everybody....but most teams. Bottom line is the Seahawks can't afford to let him leave.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One positive is that Okung won't be able to maximize his opportunity because he's his own agent... He lacks the experience...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One positive is that Okung won't be able to maximize his opportunity because he's his own agent... He lacks the experience...

In a draft year with not much O line tackle talent, he may not need the experience. He might just have to open emails from six to ten clubs and see which offer is the highest.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a draft year with not much O line tackle talent, he may not need the experience. He might just have to open emails from six to ten clubs and see which offer is the highest.

An agent, especially with the marketing not baring much fruit at this position would get him millions more than what Okung will get on his own... Experience means something in this business... IMO, he won't come close to maximizing this opportunity... Teddy Bruschi comes to mind... He lost millions acting has his own agent...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An agent, especially with the marketing not baring much fruit at this position would get him millions more than what Okung will get on his own... Experience means something in this business... IMO, he won't come close to maximizing this opportunity... Teddy Bruschi comes to mind... He lost millions acting has his own agent...

I imagine he'll get less. How much less and if it's significant at all will depend on a number of factors, including the number of teams interested in his services, and the strength of the FA class at tackle, and the strength of the draft class at tackle.

Since the agent takes a % right off the top, an educated player could make less, and yet still see more of the money, because the agent won't be taking his/her cut.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a very good read for those advocating trading up in this draft to try and solve the LT position...

Thoughts on Drafting Offensive Tackles High In The First Round

If you don't want to read it essentially it shows that since the CBA was signed in 2011 you could maybe make a case for 1 LT that has done well his rookie season. With the lack of practices and especially contact in those practices OL are not doing as well coming out of college. They lack the technical skills needed to do well right off the bat and without the contact practices that used to be a part of the off season it is hard to help them actually get much better and prepared for the speed and power of the NFL. So you could be looking at trading half your draft to move up for a player that most likely doesn't pay off until year 3 in the NFL. Now this doesn't mean you don't try to fix the problem through the draft but it does mean be prepared for some rough times for a year or two as they try to adjust to the NFL.

I would also say unless you can get into the top-7 or so picks good chance you are not getting one of the top-2 guys in this draft. Most big boards after that don't have another OT until the early 20's so I don't think you would need to trade up as high as you think unless you are shooting for that very top spot in which you are going to have to give up a boat load to get there.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess Okung deal depends on the market, and that a scary thought, given how bare the market is. I swear 75% of NFL teams feel they need to improve the OL. For example both the Pats and Broncos need help on the OL in a big way. I'm pretty sure at least one team will be willing to take a gamble on Okung. Most likely numerous teams, that because everyone needs help on the OL, OK not everybody....but most teams. Bottom line is the Seahawks can't afford to let him leave.

This is where I think Okung takes the 1yr prove it deal with Seattle. Yes many teams need o-line help, but realize he has many red flags in his corner mainly the amount of injuries that have piled up and now his surgery may scare most teams off. I just don't see teams pony up the money he thinks he's going to get and Seattle might have a good chance of matching.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@blstoker I'm seeing some huge differences in cap space between Over the Cap and Spotrac. In the Seahawks case Over the cap lists Seahawks as having just 19 million, Spotrac 29 million. Any idea why? If the Seahawks only have 19 million, then it's not looking good for resigning a expensive FA like Okung. 29 million is a different story.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@blstoker I'm seeing some huge differences in cap space between Over the Cap and Spotrac. In the Seahawks case Over the cap lists Seahawks as having just 19 million, Spotrac 29 million. Any idea why? If the Seahawks only have 19 million, then it's not looking good for resigning a expensive FA like Okung. 29 million is a different story.

There are some players on over the cap that aren't on Spotrac.

DeAngelo Tyson, DT - future/reserve ($675,000)
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB - Practice ($525,000)
Drew Nowak, C - future/reserve ($525,000)
George Farmer, CB - Practice ($450,000)
Justin Hamilton, DT - Practice ($450,000)
Trovon Reed, CB - future/reserve ($450,000)
Will Pericak, C - Practice ($450,000)
Antwan Goodley, WR - Practice ($450,000)
Deshon Foxx, WR - Practice ($450,000)
Robert Smith, S - future/reserve ($450,000)
Brandon Cottom, FB - Practice ($450,000)

So, it looks like over the cap includes these contracts ($5.775 million) where spotrac doesn't. As far as I understand these contracts, they don't go against the cap unless the player is added to the active roster - so it looks like over the cap is playing it safe and assuming all of them make it - where spotrac just ignores them. I could be wrong - but that's what it appears like.

Other discrepancies include John Shirley ($525,000 vs. $450,000).

The other, and most glaring, discrepancy is that the websites don't agree on the estimated salary cap. Over the Cap has an estimated cap of $150,199,087, where Spotrac has an estimated cap of $154,000,000.