• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Low ebb for baseball. Talk about anything

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a good idea to only play with folks with whom you regularly correspond with. Our league was formed by a group of guys who regularly posted on the espn Denver Broncos board. That core group of guys continues to actively play each year, but some of them got their friends to play in order to have enough teams, and some of those players stop playing or only play half heartedly.

One reason that I tend to make so many moves is that I get impatient with guys who go into slumps, particularly SPs. For example, Holland and Minor both hit rough patches that led me to drop them last year. I then had to start playing a "pitch and ditch" strategy by looking for favorable SP matchups for SPs on waivers. We are allowed a maximum of 200 starts. In order to get Ks and Ws, I always end up getting all 200 of those starts.

Finally, I guess you don't remember, but I'm an older guy too. Last summer I started a thread about Vin Scully talking so much during a telecast that I grow weary of listening to him after a few innings, despite the fact that he has so much knowledge of the game and so many great baseball anecdotes. You speculated that I was a younger guy. Turns out I'm simply ADD.

Well I remember NOW........:lol:

And will try to do better in the future. I just know that you are good people, and that I enjoy your posts and insight.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Nick Swisher day!!!

It was on this date back in 2008 that the A's trade outfielder Nick Swisher, a fan favorite, to the White Sox for minor leaguer hurlers Gio Gonzalez and Fautino De Los Santos and fly chaser Ryan Sweeney. Two weeks ago, the club dealt front-line pitcher Dan Haren to the Diamondbacks for another threesome of promising prospects.

Then, last year, The Indians formally announce they have signed free-agent Nick Swisher to a four-year deal, reported to be worth $56 million that also includes an additional $14 million option for a fifth season. The switch-hitting right fielder, who spent the past four seasons with Yankees, will fill the void created in December when Cleveland traded Shin-Soo Choo to Cincinnati as part of a three-team trade.

and I am watching Moneyball right now

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a piece that aims to put together the best possible 25-man roster that one can up with in such a way that total payroll equals the league median:

The best MLB team realistic money can buy

Certainly wouldn't mind having that fantasy roster.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a piece that aims to put together the best possible 25-man roster that one can up with in such a way that total payroll equals the league median:

The best MLB team realistic money can buy

Certainly wouldn't mind having that fantasy roster.

I like that as an MLB roster better than I do a fantasy roster, but one could do far worse......

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that as an MLB roster better than I do a fantasy roster, but one could do far worse......

Definitely looks to me like a roster capable winning a WS. Have to admit that it also compares favorably to the one I won my fantasy league with last year, though I rarely carry more than three SPs.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely looks to me like a roster capable winning a WS. Have to admit that it also compares favorably to the one I won my fantasy league with last year, though I rarely carry more than three SPs.

The only knock on this roster for me was going to be Simmons. I just did not rate him that high as a fantasy player, as I always had him as a "glove first" guy, which real MLB teams need.

However, I see he actually ended up with 17 bombs this year. He will be much more on my radar going forward, even if I do usually use my SS guy as a top stolen base option.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember to give me an invite BigD. :suds:

Or maybe I should just go the Elway way and retire a champ?:whistle:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only knock on this roster for me was going to be Simmons. I just did not rate him that high as a fantasy player, as I always had him as a "glove first" guy, which real MLB teams need.

However, I see he actually ended up with 17 bombs this year. He will be much more on my radar going forward, even if I do usually use my SS guy as a top stolen base option.

Damn I dropped him early last year and never looked back at him. looks like I should have paid him more attention.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
first i'd like to say I fucking hate January, February, march and april.

second, Yankees suck.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that Simmons went through a bad slump around the middle of the season, but started and finished pretty strong. He is definitely an outstanding fielder. If he can get on base enough to hit leadoff, then I figure he'll score a lot of runs. A dark horse leadoff hitter for ATL who I like is Jordan Schaffer. He is an excellent base thief, though he is injury prone and inconsistent hitting lefties.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or maybe I should just go the Elway way and retire a champ
?:whistle:

Nice Elway reference! Hopefully you can use PFM interchangeably there in a few years!

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many players are getting voted into the HoF this year?

I count 5 that are at least borderline in the new candidates this year plus three or four that were already on the ballot

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or maybe I should just go the Elway way and retire a champ?:whistle:

I will leave it up to you to decide. That said, you will of course be welcome if you want to give it another go. That said, the leagues will probably have a lot of new faces, as I keep no sort of spreadsheet on folks, meaning all new invites this year. That, and a lot of CBS guys are no longer here. From what I have seen here in the last 8-9 months shows me that there are plenty of good and knowledgable folks here. It will be interesting to see if they want to join up.

Just do know that I will probably do most of my stumping and recruiting in the sub area for baseball fantasy here, as the guys I joined up with this year for H2H fantasy are all there, and post mostly there as well.

Something will happen and get done, I just have no real idea of the interest level here just yet.

Many years of being more of a known quantity and credibility lost when CBS died for me i'm afraid.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many players are getting voted into the HoF this year?

I count 5 that are at least borderline in the new candidates this year plus three or four that were already on the ballot

I have read some "straw poll" stuff today, and I see just 4 now

Maddux, Glavine, The Bug Hurt & Biggio, with Piazza being right on the cusp.

Brocktagon

the handsome super genius
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read some "straw poll" stuff today, and I see just 4 now

Maddux, Glavine, The Bug Hurt & Biggio, with Piazza being right on the cusp.

somehow, frank Thomas dodged the steroid subject.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw last night that the DisAstros picked up Jesse Crain. He was money in the eighth for the White Sox last year, before getting hurt and then traded to TB. Don't figure he'll have too many leads to hold this year.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw last night that the DisAstros picked up Jesse Crain. He was money in the eighth for the White Sox last year, before getting hurt and then traded to TB. Don't figure he'll have too many leads to hold this year.

File this one under "gotta start somewhere" or, "gotta fill the roster holes as best you can".

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nice risk/reward for the Astros I now see. $ 3.25 mil for a guy you could slide right into your closers role. If he is and stays healthy.

BIG IF.