• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Low ebb for baseball. Talk about anything

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found a grand total of one baseball story of interest in the last 24 hours. And, it is only really interesting to one particular fanbase.

The Phillies and Comcast/NBC Universal have agreed to a massive new broadcast deal. Here’s the statement from Comcast SportsNet (Comcast owns NBC Universal and, by extension, this blog):
“We’re pleased to confirm that NBCUniversal and Comcast SportsNet have signed a new long-term deal with the Philadelphia Phillies that will expand Comcast SportsNet’s role as the Phillies’ primary TV partner. Although the terms of the comprehensive deal are confidential, details surrounding the 2014 schedule of games will be provided in the coming months.”
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the deal is for at least 20 years. Given the price other teams’ TV rights have gone for, it’s not a stretch to guess that the deal would be in the billions.
The current TV deal was set to expire following the 2015 season.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Nick Swisher day!!!

It was on this date back in 2008 that the A's trade outfielder Nick Swisher, a fan favorite, to the White Sox for minor leaguer hurlers Gio Gonzalez and Fautino De Los Santos and fly chaser Ryan Sweeney. Two weeks ago, the club dealt front-line pitcher Dan Haren to the Diamondbacks for another threesome of promising prospects.

Then, last year, The Indians formally announce they have signed free-agent Nick Swisher to a four-year deal, reported to be worth $56 million that also includes an additional $14 million option for a fifth season. The switch-hitting right fielder, who spent the past four seasons with Yankees, will fill the void created in December when Cleveland traded Shin-Soo Choo to Cincinnati as part of a three-team trade.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey meets baseball

Screen-Shot-2014-01-02-at-9.45.34-PM.png

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Nick Swisher day!!!

It was on this date back in 2008 that the A's trade outfielder Nick Swisher, a fan favorite, to the White Sox for minor leaguer hurlers Gio Gonzalez and Fautino De Los Santos and fly chaser Ryan Sweeney. Two weeks ago, the club dealt front-line pitcher Dan Haren to the Diamondbacks for another threesome of promising prospects.

Then, last year, The Indians formally announce they have signed free-agent Nick Swisher to a four-year deal, reported to be worth $56 million that also includes an additional $14 million option for a fifth season. The switch-hitting right fielder, who spent the past four seasons with Yankees, will fill the void created in December when Cleveland traded Shin-Soo Choo to Cincinnati as part of a three-team trade.

LOL Not so sure that Swishilicous entirely filled that void. While Choo was a top-ten fantasy player last year, in my league Swish was passed around more times than a chick at a bikers rally!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Not so sure that Swishilicous entirely filled that void. While Choo was a top-ten fantasy player last year, in my league Swish was passed around more times than a chick at a bikers rally!

Don't remind me about Choo fantasy wise. One of the many dumb moves I made last year was letting him go.

:doh::L:doh:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't remind me about Choo fa ntasy wise. One of the many dumb moves I made last year was letting him go.

:doh::L:doh:

LOL I also traded Choo. Bet you didn't trade Miggy, though, did you? I did. Still somehow managed to win my league after never finishing higher than fourth the previous three years I played. I pretty much killed the draft, getting Miggy, Choo, Goldshmit, Beltran, Strasburg, Iwakuma, and Minor among others. Should have run away with the title, but a couple of poor trades left me fighting it out til the end!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL I also traded Choo. Bet you didn't trade Miggy, though, did you? I did. Still somehow managed to win my league after never finishing higher than fourth the previous three years I played. I pretty much killed the draft, getting Miggy, Choo, Goldshmit, Beltran, Strasburg, Iwakuma, and Minor among others. Should have run away with the title, but a couple of poor trades left me fighting it out til the end!

Here is my feeling on fantasy trades. ANYONE can be traded. It is making sure that you are getting back more than you are giving is the thing. That said, and depending on your league type, letting go on a top 5 talent can be a killer, no matter who you get back. I play Roto, so it is easier to make up the difference in talent and scoring cats.

As for my year, I did so bad that I am going to refrain from giving fantasy advise, which is something I did for many years over on CBS. I feel I need to re-earn my stripes after not getting even 1 first place finish last year. That, and I hope to be able to form a few league this year from posters on this site, as I love playing for bragging rights with my fellow posters.

If I can get enough folks interested that is.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is my feeling on fantasy trades. ANYONE can be traded. It is making sure that you are getting back more than you are giving is the thing. That said, and depending on your league type, letting go on a top 5 talent can be a killer, no matter who you get back. I play Roto, so it is easier to make up the difference in talent and scoring cats.

As for my year, I did so bad that I am going to refrain from giving fantasy advise, which is something I did for many years over on CBS. I feel I need to re-earn my stripes after not getting even 1 first place finish last year. That, and I hope to be able to form a few league this year from posters on this site, as I love playing for bragging rights with my fellow posters

If I can get enough folks interested that is.

Luck is such a big part of fantasy, just like it is in real sports. For example, three of the first eight players picked in my league were Kemp, Braun, Pujols. Luckily, I didn't draft any of them. In 2012, however, Votto was my first pick and, unfortunately, he missed over 50 games and played at a much lower level after returning from injury than he had prior to then.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Nick Swisher day!!!

Oh man, that was a horrible trade from the White Sox' perspective. Not only did Swisher have his worst year with the White Sox, but they didn't really get anything for him when they traded him to NY. They did receive Wilson Betemit, but Betemit only had 50 PA with the White Sox. After that, he posted a line of .277/.342/.454 (116 OPS+) in 1060 PA with the Orioles, Tigers and Royals (2.3 WAR). Swisher's batted .263/.362/.470 (123 OPS+) and has 15.2 WAR over the last 5 seasons.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league I've played in the past four years is an espn roto league. This past year the offensive categories were AVG. OBP, HR, RBI, R and SB. The pitching categories were ERA, WHIP, Ks, Ws, Saves, and Holds.

We had eleven teams, but by July about four of the teams were pretty inactive.

I get so obsessed with playing that I consistently lead my league in number of moves. Last year, for example, I made 365 moves. Next closest was 258. Yes, I lead a rich fantasy life!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ thread killer!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note to self: no one cares about your damn fantasy team!

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Note to self: no one cares about your damn fantasy team!

Not true. Well, not exactly. I think it is fine to talk about both good and bad moves made in a year.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league I've played in the past four years is an espn roto league. This past year the offensive categories were AVG. OBP, HR, RBI, R and SB. The pitching categories were ERA, WHIP, Ks, Ws, Saves, and Holds.

We had eleven teams, but by July about four of the teams were pretty inactive.

I get so obsessed with playing that I consistently lead my league in number of moves. Last year, for example, I made 365 moves. Next closest was 258. Yes, I lead a rich fantasy life!

I too play Roto, and love it much more than all of the other league types I have played over the last 24 years. Yep, that's right, i'm old. And, I somehow got into this whole fantasy thing before most, probably due to my lifelong obsession for baseball. That said, and as I do tend to play in leagues with daily changes, I don't think I have ever made more than say 120 roster moves in a year. As I kind of alluded to earlier, I usually do pretty well, and, as I play with only message board members, the quitting on leagues is usually a minimum, as folks who quit there, usually then quit here, to avoid the embarrasment and abuse.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fifth Third Field in Comstock Park, Michigan is the home of the West Michigan Whitecaps, the single-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers.

A not so happy new year......

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While wishing former Rams QB Jim Everett a happy 51st birthday today, I would be remiss not to mention that it has been 20 years since Jim Rome kept calling him Chris, and he went 50 shades of Cray on him.....

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too play Roto, and love it much more than all of the other league types I have played over the last 24 years. Yep, that's right, i'm old. And, I somehow got into this whole fantasy thing before most, probably due to my lifelong obsession for baseball. That said, and as I do tend to play in leagues with daily changes, I don't think I have ever made more than say 120 roster moves in a year. As I kind of alluded to earlier, I usually do pretty well, and, as I play with only message board members, the quitting on leagues is usually a minimum, as folks who quit there, usually then quit here, to avoid the embarrasment and abuse.

Sounds like a good idea to only play with folks with whom you regularly correspond with. Our league was formed by a group of guys who regularly posted on the espn Denver Broncos board. That core group of guys continues to actively play each year, but some of them got their friends to play in order to have enough teams, and some of those players stop playing or only play half heartedly.

One reason that I tend to make so many moves is that I get impatient with guys who go into slumps, particularly SPs. For example, Holland and Minor both hit rough patches that led me to drop them last year. I then had to start playing a "pitch and ditch" strategy by looking for favorable SP matchups for SPs on waivers. We are allowed a maximum of 200 starts. In order to get Ks and Ws, I always end up getting all 200 of those starts.

Finally, I guess you don't remember, but I'm an older guy too. Last summer I started a thread about Vin Scully talking so much during a telecast that I grow weary of listening to him after a few innings, despite the fact that he has so much knowledge of the game and so many great baseball anecdotes. You speculated that I was a younger guy. Turns out I'm simply ADD.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While wishing former Rams QB Jim Everett a happy 51st birthday today, I would be remiss not to mention that it has been 20 years since Jim Rome kept calling him Chris, and he went 50 shades of Cray on him.....

LOL I always think of that incident when I hear either Chris or Jim followed by Everett!