• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking ahead to NY

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Eli is playing extremely well too; did you see his 3rd down throws yesterday? The man is on a tear.

The good thing is the Niners' defense is a LOT better than the Packers' defense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed and felt Roman kept it unpredictable vs the Saints.

going off tangent....why does Alex Smith have so many balls tipped or batted down? didn't he have like 4 or 5? whereas Brees is only 6 feet but doesn't get his passes tipped?

I think he's doing a better job this year, but hasn't he had problems with staring down the receivers? I'd have to rewatch the tipped passes plays to be sure but maybe he telegraphs them?

Slightly related but off-topic - He's also had quite a few high passes, perhaps to avoid the tip (on the line tips, not receiver tips)? He's done it regularly with receivers that I have inferred that he doesn't trust, so maybe high passes are designed? You don't just repeatedly throw high to select receivers on accident and throw on target to others. Don't see many high passes to VD (though he still jumps), Walker, or Morgan. It's chemistry issues (as in purposely making it high so as to make it catchable only to the receiver who would alternately pop the ball up if it hit them in the chest), not accuracy IMO. There's still fault in that, I just don't see it as always misjudging where the receiver will be.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if they'll be quicker to penalize stuff in the Championship games since they were so hesitant to throw flags this week. Apparently the Saints and Ravens both had zero penalties. And with the mighty NY Media going apeshit over the calls in the Packers game, and also complaining about the Saints and Ravens not getting penalized... it seems like the NFL will need to do some damage control this week.

TV analysts rip 'atrocious' officiating in Giants-Packers

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they let us play.... just let them play...

call the holds though lol.... NO got away with a lot while I didn't think we did....

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is saying the Giant D is playing better but what they fail to realize is that
1. antrell role in that slot can't stick VD/Walker or Williams.
2.niners will continue using the quick pass to slow the blitz down
and last if they don't blitz and drop 6 we will run ALL over them their strengths don't play to are weaknesses but Eli thawing 40 times is bound to play to are's

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not saying turn one dimensional. I just don't think it's a good idea to throw as many times as we did vs. NO. NY will only rush 4 and drop back in coverage. Alex wont see as many 1-1 matchups like he did vs. NO. If you turn into a pass heavy team it only takes 1 sack to make it 3rd and unmanageable. We've got to keep our offense unpredictable and the only way to do that is get the run game going. Gore only had 13 carries and racked up 89 yards vs NO and the G-Men allow 4.5 yards per carry.

For us it only takes one incompletion the way they've been throwing. They gotta get it down the field like they did in the last 4 minutes of the game.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Everyone is saying the Giant D is playing better but what they fail to realize is that
1. antrell role in that slot can't stick VD/Walker or Williams.
2.niners will continue using the quick pass to slow the blitz down
and last if they don't blitz and drop 6 we will run ALL over them their strengths don't play to are weaknesses but Eli thawing 40 times is bound to play to are's

You talkin' about the same Walker who hadn't caught a pass in six games before he got injured? He is so over-rated its absurd.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that worries me about Walker is that if he plays, he hasnt been tested and hit in game speed since his injury. Especially with it being his jaw he very well could hurt that jaw and fumble a football.

Watching the packers game, they brought it up when Jennings fumbled the ball and how he has been out of action and not used to being hit in game time speed. Just something to think about.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For us it only takes one incompletion the way they've been throwing. They gotta get it down the field like they did in the last 4 minutes of the game.

Agree. I think Crabtree has to make up for his drops and make some plays next week. You know he's hating the fact he choked in crunch time.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agree. I think Crabtree has to make up for his drops and make some plays next week. You know he's hating the fact he choked in crunch time.

I just hope he is humble enough to own it and improve it - I can still hear his answer to the media back in 2009, "What drops?" I fully expect to target Crabtree early and often - unless.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
agreed and felt Roman kept it unpredictable vs the Saints.

going off tangent....why does Alex Smith have so many balls tipped or batted down? didn't he have like 4 or 5? whereas Brees is only 6 feet but doesn't get his passes tipped?

Because we only throw 3 and 4 yard passes and they know it. Hence they can get their arms up knowing they'll have a good shot at batting the ball down. Those short passes require a QB to throw between arms rather than over them like Brees does when he throws the ball down the field.

dez

Town Drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When given time Eli is one of the more accurate passers in the league. Often times he is bailed out by his WR's. When he is pressured he becomes rattled and is prone to turning the ball over.

"New York Giants QB Eli Manning completed 18 of 23 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns when given time to throw in the Divisional Round playoff game against the Green Bay Packers. Manning completed only three of 10 passes for 45 yards and an interception when he was under duress or hit."

Giants | Eli Manning thrived with time to throw - NFL Hot off the Wire

The key is to bring pressure and force him to make mistakes

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heavier dose of GORE. We need to wear down their D-Line and take away their biggest weapons in their pass rushers. Stay out of 3rd & long. We're playing really good football from every aspect. Pass rush, coverage, STs, stopping the run as usual, and Smith and VD are clicking at the perfect time. Only thing you could ask for is a better game out of Crabs. The two names I'm most worried about are Cruz and Nicks. And IMO they have a better run game than NO with Bradshaw and Jacobs. Should be a good one.

This. It's going to be a running game on both sides. There will probably be lots of punts, which should favor us. If we make our tackles, we'll be OK.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Giants WR are good but not scary good.

Calvin Johnson, Gronk, Graham, Sproles, those guys are scary to the point where I think nobody can cover them.

With our secondary we should be able to cover Nicks, Manningham and Cruz. The TE Ballard and the other one are not a problem to cover either.

I like the matchup.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You talkin' about the same Walker who hadn't caught a pass in six games before he got injured? He is so over-rated its absurd.

Walker probably won't play. Don't focus on the one part of that line, he's right about Davis and Williams, both more likely scenarios.

I will tell you though, I wouldn't mind us drafting Coby Fleener in the 2nd round. It's just that with Walker having one more season I don't see any moves made at the te spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Giants WR are good but not scary good.

Calvin Johnson, Gronk, Graham, Sproles, those guys are scary to the point where I think nobody can cover them.

With our secondary we should be able to cover Nicks, Manningham and Cruz. The TE Ballard and the other one are not a problem to cover either.

I like the matchup.

The Giants receivers individually do not scare me, but as a whole I think they have been every bit as imposing on defenses this year as GB's & NO's. (And, yes, I am aware those teams will be watching the SB from home). Still, it is not like Detroit where you have one dominate receiver and the rest fall in behind, the Giants WR's are all a threat.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still can't believe this is happening.............