• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOL at this

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the lesson in all of this is that the Giants front office should always trust Tidrow. Damn, when I think about it now. What could this team have accomplished if it had CC on their Major League roster for 6 seasons?

Yeah, although we'd have probably had him for 8 like the Tribe did...before he ran off to sign with the Spankees. Then again, maybe being a local dude, he'd want to stick around and pitch in AT&T. Can you imagine his numbers pitching half his games in SF? Frightening....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the lesson in all of this is that the Giants front office should always trust Tidrow. Damn, when I think about it now. What could this team have accomplished if it had CC on their Major League roster for 6 seasons?

It probably would have meant more wins for the Giants, but you can't be sure. Each change affects the next. Maybe we don't then draft a guy like Cain, or something...maybe CC doesn't stay focused to be a good pitcher so close to home...you can never know.

It's like the state dependent fallacy...guy gets thrown out stealing 2nd, next player hits a solid single: 'oh noes, we woulda got a run there!'. Nope, both the batter and pitcher would be doing different things with a guy on 2nd.

Then again, part of the fun of it all is doing this exact thing, playing the 'what if' game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably would have meant more wins for the Giants, but you can't be sure. Each change affects the next. Maybe we don't then draft a guy like Cain, or something...maybe CC doesn't stay focused to be a good pitcher so close to home...you can never know.

It's like the state dependent fallacy...guy gets thrown out stealing 2nd, next player hits a solid single: 'oh noes, we woulda got a run there!'. Nope, both the batter and pitcher would be doing different things with a guy on 2nd.

Then again, part of the fun of it all is doing this exact thing, playing the 'what if' game.

It's a funner "what if" game now that the Giants have finally won a World Series. Before, I really felt like doing this :frusty: when thinking about Giant blown opportunities.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, although we'd have probably had him for 8 like the Tribe did...before he ran off to sign with the Spankees. Then again, maybe being a local dude, he'd want to stick around and pitch in AT&T. Can you imagine his numbers pitching half his games in SF? Frightening....

I think he would've have been a great hitting pitcher, too, had he been drafted by an NL team. Right up there with Zambrano, maybe even better. CC had a lot of power, which isn't surprising considering the fact that he is 6'7" 300 lbs.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a funner "what if" game now that the Giants have finally won a World Series. Before, I really felt like doing this :frusty: when thinking about Giant blown opportunities.

Totally. +1.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally. +1.

LOL, it's like all the stress of being a Giants fan is gone. Not totally, though. Just most of it. For me, I didn't get stressed out about the Giants this season until the Posey injury. Probably the same thing for a lot of us in here.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding your ipad and band of misfits. :noidea: I guess I'm getting too old. All the little kids at our family parties know more about tech than me.

I knew about CC because I went to school with him at Solano Junior High and Vallejo Senior High School. He wasn't a friend, just an acquaintance. He was a fatty back then, too. I don't think he would've amounted to very much as a football player. Too out of shape and too slow. He dated a friend of mine before gold-diggin' Amber Carter swooped in. One lucky girl that Amber Carter (now Amber Sabathia).

I didn't know that about the Giants' financial situation. Too bad. I hate to speculate, but having CC could've put them over the top for a WS during the Bonds years.

I was hoping the Giants would draft him out of high school because it seemed obvious how good he was (he seemed to throw a no-hitter every other start when he was in high school), but I was sorely disappointed when they drafted the kid out of Woodland. Years later, expressing this opinion on the ESPN board earned me the wrath of the regulars.

A Band of Misfits is Andrew Baggerly's book recounting the Giants' 2010 World Series run. He fills in a lot of behind the scenes detail, with the tidrow/sabathia anecdote being one. Baggs is the San Jose Mercury's beat writer, if you didn't know.

You can purchase the book electronically via apple's ipad (a tablet computer) for $2.99. Amazon downloads it to your ipad immediately, so from order to reading it takes about 30 seconds. Nice feature is the text is keyword search-able.

For instance, If I search "A Band of Misfits" for "Matt Latos" I get:

Matt Latos - brutish looking right-hander
Matt Latos - emerged as an archtypical villian
Matt Latos - uniquely dim worldview
Matt Latos - self-stylized expert on team chemistry
Matt Latos - oafish right-hander

Kinda cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, it's like all the stress of being a Giants fan is gone. Not totally, though. Just most of it. For me, I didn't get stressed out about the Giants this season until the Posey injury. Probably the same thing for a lot of us in here.

Agreed. Even Posey going down I'm philosophical about, we got our ring. Now if we don't repeat we have a good excuse. And if we do it's so much the sweeter.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
...and while you can say nobody knows what might have been, I can say with some certitude that bypassing the best players in the draft for mediocre cheap talent is not a recipe for long-term success on a budget.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and while you can say nobody knows what might have been, I can say with some certitude that bypassing the best players in the draft for mediocre cheap talent is not a recipe for long-term success on a budget.

Agreed.

The Giants have done VERY well recently going after kids who had some signability issues (Ishikawa, Posey to name two) and have done quite well.

At the same time, you can not completely ignore it either. Josh Bell fell to the 2nd or 3rd round because of his signability, and he will likely not sign. Picking him in any of the Giants spots would have simply been irresponsible.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Band of Misfits is Andrew Baggerly's book recounting the Giants' 2010 World Series run. He fills in a lot of behind the scenes detail, with the tidrow/sabathia anecdote being one. Baggs is the San Jose Mercury's beat writer, if you didn't know.

You can purchase the book electronically via apple's ipad (a tablet computer) for $2.99. Amazon downloads it to your ipad immediately, so from order to reading it takes about 30 seconds. Nice feature is the text is keyword search-able.

For instance, If I search "A Band of Misfits" for "Matt Latos" I get:

Matt Latos - brutish looking right-hander
Matt Latos - emerged as an archtypical villian
Matt Latos - uniquely dim worldview
Matt Latos - self-stylized expert on team chemistry
Matt Latos - oafish right-hander

Kinda cool.

Thanks for the info, GP. I haven't read a good sports book in a while. I'll have to check it out. Nice jokes on Latos. That guy makes himself too easy of a target, though.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks for the info, GP. I haven't read a good sports book in a while. I'll have to check it out. Nice jokes on Latos. That guy makes himself too easy of a target, though.

For $2.99 it's a no brainer. The format follows the year from spring training through the parade, and as each player makes a notable contribution on the field their back story is fleshed out. Some good anecdotes throughout, like Cain being schooled as an 11 year old in the art of pitching by former relief pitcher Goose Gozzo.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For $2.99 it's a no brainer. The format follows the year from spring training through the parade, and as each player makes a notable contribution on the field their back story is fleshed out. Some good anecdotes throughout, like Cain being schooled as an 11 year old in the art of pitching by former relief pitcher Goose Goozo.

I don't have an ipad. I may just have to read it the old-fashioned way.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't have an ipad. I may just have to read it the old-fashioned way.

Well, if you go to one of Baggerly's book signings you can get an autographed copy for $20.00. $19.95 for the hard copy, and $.05 for the autograph.