• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LOL at Mariota

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a big concern. He deserves a chance, it's not really a fair shot if he just gets his ass kicked the whole time...
Unfortunately, that's the way the NFL is today. If you get drafted by a bad team your chance of being a long time starter as a QB is very low. I hate the "play them immediately" mind set. I think rookies should sit for half a year minimum, longer for QBs. If we look at the really good passers down the years a good majority of them sat behind a veteran for a year or two before taking the reins. I am quite frankly tired of the NFL chewing up rookie QBs and discarding them.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota is a deer in headlights when he sees any pressure coming. This isn't a good sign for the Titans. He did okay when there wasn't pressure but that's not exactly going to be the norm in this league. To be honest after seeing Oregon play he's used to having time to throw but he isn't making the transition very well. I saw very little pocket presence from him. Atlanta isn't exactly the best defense in the league and it's just going to get worse from here on out.

Reactions: gb2

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akili Smith was great at Oregon too.

That worked out well in the NFL....

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the highlights the interception wasn't totally his fault. It was obviously supposed to be a screen and Sankey never even turned to look for the ball. That said Mariota should have never thrown it. The fumble was on his O-line they were letting pressure get to the backfield way too fast, which shouldn't happen against the vanilla shit that is used in the preseason. Still, 7-8 for 94 yards 1 int 1 fumble and 1 sack in 3 series isn't God awful for a rookie's first live action.

Yep it was his first game and there was miscommunication between Mariota and Sankey. He also has a terrible offensive line too. However he completed 7 out of 8 passes for 94 yards. He bounced back quickly from his mistakes.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That playbook is way too complicated for him. He needs a head coach specifically tailored to QBs (like Harbaugh).

Either way I've been calling Mariota a bust before he was drafted.. I'll stand by that.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be fooled: A lot of good came from Marcus Mariota's early miscues

Don't be fooled: A lot of good came from Marcus Mariota's early miscues

It was a play the Titans have run in practice, but not against the defense the Falcons ran. It caught Mariota off guard. He acted like a rookie in his first game.

So what?

It happens. Throwing a pick on a screen pass isn’t the same as locking on a receiver and forcing a pass into double coverage. That’s easily correctable and judging by the rave reviews from players and coaches, that’s exactly what will happen.

Every Titans coach I talked with said the same thing: That kid is a stud.

“It didn’t rattle him too much,” Whisenhunt said. “He didn’t get frustrated.”

On his third possession, Mariota was 5-for-5 for 78 yards, showing off the ability to stand in the pocket and make throws. On a third-and-12 play from his own 18, he fired a rocket to Harry Douglas for 17 yards and a first down. He showed poise and patience on that throw, without the lean to take off and run.

After that, his confidence seemed to rise as he sat in and made the right throws and the right decisions. That’s something the staff has raved about. His ability to run the offense, making the right reads, is far better than even some them expected.

The players, the coaches say, knew five minutes into his first on-field workouts that he was the guy.

Mariota finished 7-of-8 for 94 yards with the one interception and a passer rating of 76.0. The best stat for the future: There wasn’t one play where he took off to run. The only rushing number on the stat sheet was for the sack because they said the ball came out of his hand before it was hit. That’s not what happened, but, needless to say, he didn’t run. For a quarterback who flourished as a runner in college, that’s a big deal.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying the Titans have a good OL?

The prediction was he'd carry the Titans to the Promised Land.

First preseason game and you guys are already blaming the OL?

Predictable as hell but very disappointing. :L

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That playbook is way too complicated for him. He needs a head coach specifically tailored to QBs (like Harbaugh).

Either way I've been calling Mariota a bust before he was drafted.. I'll stand by that.

Which is exactly what Ken Whisenhunt is.

So the first two excuses (after the first preseason game) is 1.) the coach and 2.) the line.

:L

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he looked pretty good. Rookie in his first preseason game, what are the expectations, 300 yards and 110 QBR?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The screen pass INT he threw was bad. I don't understand how he failed to see that guy coming.

That said, his protection was horrid all night. I thought the Titans were supposed to have a good OL after all the investments they have made in the draft and free agency, but it looked bad.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he looked pretty good. Rookie in his first preseason game, what are the expectations, 300 yards and 110 QBR?

Not sure! :noidea: I was personally guaranteed a Super Bowl!

@OregonDucks can you please explain?

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The prediction was he'd carry the Titans to the Promised Land.

First preseason game and you guys are already blaming the OL?

Predictable as hell but very disappointing. :L
I never predicted any such thing, in fact I believe just last week I wrote on this board the Titans will win 5 games MAX this season. Face it they are a BAD team, and bad teams tend to have problems on the lines. If you have a good O-line even an average QB can win. I will say Mariota has very little chance of staying upright if the big boys in front of him don't start blocking better.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never predicted any such thing, in fact I believe just last week I wrote on this board the Titans will win 5 games MAX this season. Face it they are a BAD team, and bad teams tend to have problems on the lines. If you have a good O-line even an average QB can win. I will say Mariota has very little chance of staying upright if the big boys in front of him don't start blocking better.

Translation: Mariota needs a good team to perform and if all else fails, blame it on the OL. It ain't my boys fault.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Translation: Mariota needs a good team to perform and if all else fails, blame it on the OL. It ain't my boys fault.
Stop putting words in my mouth. ANY QB that isn't getting blocking for him is gonna lose, period. I'm pretty sure any rookie QB put in the same situation would do the same or a lot worse than Mariota did. He made mistakes, most notably the INT, what will prove if he has the stuff to be an NFL QB is if he learns and fixes the misses and improves. I think he can and will, given the chance.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think crapping on Mariota after a few turnovers in a preseason game is almost worse than getting excited over him for not throwing picks in practice. Also, if you actually watched the game he came back with a solid drive before leading the game. All in all, typical rookie preseason performance, some bad, some good IMO.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly what Ken Whisenhunt is.

So the first two excuses (after the first preseason game) is 1.) the coach and 2.) the line.

:L

The Wiz is a good OC. But he is terrible at developing players. He won in AZ with Denny "They are who we thought they were!" Green's players. If MM is going to succeed, It's going to be with another coach.