• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Listening to College Sports Station on Sirius today

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happened to come in on an interview with Dabo Sweeny. I actually could not believe what I was hearing. He was stating that the National Media should be giving Clemson a lot of respect because of these reasons.

3 Conference Division titles, 1 ACC Championship, Beating LSU last year, and beating UGA on Saturday.

Dabo how about you not get blown out by 40 pts in the OB. Or beat your In State Rival in Columbia. At least try to do these two simple things before stating your team does not get enough respect from the rest of the Nation.

What say you? If anything.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was Clemson in the few years before he got there?

Progress is certainly a nice bragging point if you ask me.

but that's coming from a lil ol Oregon fan so what do I know??

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you OP. If he wants respect he needs to beat SCAR. If you continuously lose to your rival, not gonna get respected as a national power.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Bama, Nole, Buckeye, Gator, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, ND, SoCal fans all agreeing with OP.

The rest of teams fans. Not agreeing.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tommy Bowden era was not that bad either. Too bad his last year went the way it did.

My point is that the accomplishments he listed really are not that great overall. The highest ranked team Clemson has ever beaten was under Tommy Bowden. That team was FSU.

Are they better than 5 yrs ago? Yes. Have they had the same qb for 4 of those 5 yrs? Yes. Let's see what happens after Boyd is gone before stating more respect should be given. Also here is another thing. They are in the ACC. Not going to get much respect unless you go undefeated, beat your in state rival, and CRUSH whoever you play in a bowl game.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who, never heard of Oregon. What have they ever done?:laugh3:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that the accomplishments he listed really are not that great overall. The highest ranked team Clemson has ever beaten was under Tommy Bowden. That team was FSU.

QUOTE]

All in who you are asking.

Perception from different fanbases often very on their own teams history or lack there of.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know you my boy, we tight, just busting your chops. Hadn't seen you on much lately so I got to get hits in while i can.

To the OP, I agree that Clemson doesnt deserve a ton of respect, but I do have to give props to Dabo, he has that program going in the right direction.

And mamba, its ok, i still would pull for Oregon over all those other PAC teams, We Bama fans know a winner when we see one..

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QUOTE]

All in who you are asking.

Perception from different fanbases often very on their own teams history or lack there of.

Well the perception he brought is that they deserve all sorts of respect. Sorry, but respect must be earned over a period of time. Not over a 3 yr period. They are on their way, but not there just yet. I was just shocked at his comments considering people had Sammy Watkins in the Heisman talk and now Tajh Boyd in the talk. He needs more than 3 division championships in the ACC. The wins over Scar are very important. If you cannot at least muster a win over your biggest rival how are people to give you respect that you are looking for?

You should at least be able to understand that point. If Oregon rarely beats OSU then how can anyone respect how many points they put up or how many teams they beat?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know you my boy, we tight, just busting your chops. Hadn't seen you on much lately so I got to get hits in while i can.

To the OP, I agree that Clemson doesnt deserve a ton of respect, but I do have to give props to Dabo, he has that program going in the right direction.

And mamba, its ok, i still would pull for Oregon over all those other PAC teams.

of course friend.

But I was just saying I completely understand in the blue bloods to have one view and the rest of us to take the other.

Team success is all in the eye of the fan.

From where the Ducks came from... Shit man, this is more success than w ever dreamed of. Yet no NATTY. The opinions are all in perspective from each fanbase.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And mamba, its ok, i still would pull for Oregon over all those other PAC teams, We Bama fans know a winner when we see one..

:censored::tsk::boom::mad::boink::mad2::exploding:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the perception he brought is that they deserve all sorts of respect. Sorry, but respect must be earned over a period of time. Not over a 3 yr period. They are on their way, but not there just yet. I was just shocked at his comments considering people had Sammy Watkins in the Heisman talk and now Tajh Boyd in the talk. He needs more than 3 division championships in the ACC. The wins over Scar are very important. If you cannot at least muster a win over your biggest rival how are people to give you respect that you are looking for?

You should at least be able to understand that point. If Oregon rarely beats OSU then how can anyone respect how many points they put up or how many teams they beat?

Well, for one my perception on their rivalry game is this. Its non conference so it doesn't hold as much juice. I know that perception is shit upon in the state of South Carolina. But from where I am it seems weird. They can lose that game and still rack up ACC trophies. Now, I am not saying a loss to SCAR is even remotely acceptable for Clemson Nation, but that still remains a fact. I am sure an ACC trophy helps soften the blow of losing to SCAR.

Once again, all in the eye of the beholder.

And Dabo in my eyes is attempting to get eyes on this program now rather than later. Possible BCS decision may be influenced by media coverage. The same goes for Tajh's Heisman bid.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, for one my perception on their rivalry game is this. Its non conference so it doesn't hold as much juice. I know that perception is shit upon in the state of South Carolina. But from where I am it seems weird. They can lose that game and still rack up ACC trophies. Now, I am not saying a loss to SCAR is even remotely acceptable for Clemson Nation, but that still remains a fact. I am sure an ACC trophy helps soften the blow of losing to SCAR.

Once again, all in the eye of the beholder.

And Dabo in my eyes is attempting to get eyes on this program now rather than later. Possible BCS decision may be influenced by media coverage. The same goes for Tajh's Heisman bid.

Well I guess you cannot understand the rivalry thing since yours is in your conference. It is conference and state bragging rights at stake. Same with FSU/UF. One game that if you win, but do not get the ACC Championship the season is always a success. The hatred between teams and conferences runs DEEP!

There are plenty of eyes on his program and have been the last 3 years. Plenty of games with College Gameday there. Plenty of NFL scouts there. Plenty of Media there. I am not sure what he is really wanting by his comments. This has nothing to do with NCs or anything like that. The man has his program going in the right direction. Other than people stating that what else is he asking for?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess you cannot understand the rivalry thing since yours is in your conference. It is conference and state bragging rights at stake. Same with FSU/UF. One game that if you win, but do not get the ACC Championship the season is always a success. The hatred between teams and conferences runs DEEP!

There are plenty of eyes on his program and have been the last 3 years. Plenty of games with College Gameday there. Plenty of NFL scouts there. Plenty of Media there. I am not sure what he is really wanting by his comments. This has nothing to do with NCs or anything like that. The man has his program going in the right direction. Other than people stating that what else is he asking for?

Ya, a win over a team from the B1G, ACC, SEC, Big 12 is all equal to me.

A conference win and championship are what I root for above all.

And in the path of winning the PAC is our two rivals every year. Oregon State and Washington (not in that order)

Most PAC and B1G fans will tell ya. The ultimate goal is a Rose Bowl trophy. A NATTY game is icing on the cake.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I thought they were getting respect. Their current ranking is damn respectful. If he wants more, he'll just have to continue to earn it.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Bama, Nole, Buckeye, Gator, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, ND, SoCal fans all agreeing with OP.

The rest of teams fans. Not agreeing.
I agree with the OP Dabo is one whinny little bitch and he was damn lucky to beat Auburn in the opener last year (still think we got a screwed a bit by the refs) and we were horrible.

Their win against LSU was the only thing that has been remotely impressive for them to start getting national respect but one game isn't enough.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or a team who has won 4 times as many conference championships during his tenure? :wave:

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I thought they were getting respect. Their current ranking is damn respectful. If he wants more, he'll just have to continue to earn it.

^^^^

Dabo would be better off just winning games and preparing for that qb from FSU. Clemson is a good team and should take pride their ranking, but damn it's just week 1.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, if an SEC East team was coming off of a division championship, a bowl win over a top team, was returning their QB and a star receiver, and had recruited like Clemson does, there is no question they would be in the top 5-6. If they knocked off another top 5 team in their opening game, ESPN and the rest of the media would probably be hanging from Dabo's nuts.