• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions Won't Franchise Tag Suh

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle has around $26M. Considering late picks, they need around $3-5M for rookies (pending trade down in 1st), an extra $2M for Lynch, Wagner prob. $5M, Wilson can be anywhere from $7-14M first year.

Either way we're down to $8M or so... yah technically you could sign Suh and offer a big guaranteed/signing bonus with only a $5-6M 2015 cap hit, but Seattle would be SCREWED in upcoming years.

You'd have to let Okung/Mebane walk the following year ($14M or so of cap savings) and cut Lynch ($10M savings) and it could prob. be done, but it'd be TIGHT.

Seattle would have to have some BIG time cap wizards to get Suh and they'd need to let basically most of their free agents walk this year and hope they nail the draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also worth noting, he went to high school in Portland so he'd be closer to his family (although same with Oakland). I just see Suh wanting a ring and right now the only capable West coast team is Seattle or possibly San Diego. San Fran is in cap hell and so are teams like Denver. Arizona MAYBE but I doubt it - they're in a pretty paltry cap situation as well and have already cut some fat with Dockett (although Suh would replace him very well).

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be interesting to see who gets a bigger contract between Suh and Houston if they both get mega Longterm deals.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be interesting to see who gets a bigger contract between Suh and Houston if they both get mega Longterm deals.

Houston.... Lamarr Houston? He already signed with the Bears for 5 years/$35M. Nowhere near what Suh will get.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also worth noting, he went to high school in Portland so he'd be closer to his family (although same with Oakland). I just see Suh wanting a ring and right now the only capable West coast team is Seattle or possibly San Diego. San Fran is in cap hell and so are teams like Denver. Arizona MAYBE but I doubt it - they're in a pretty paltry cap situation as well and have already cut some fat with Dockett (although Suh would replace him very well).

How is Denver in Cap Hell? The Broncos just FT D. Thomas and still have $15 million in Cap Space. They are working on a new contract with Peyton that would free up around $9 million in cap space. They are also working on a restructure with Ryan Clady that would free up about another $5 million. They also have about 4 players they can cut that don't really contribute to the team that frees up another $5 million and will most likely be gone from the team. So that right there with some easy moves that doesn't cost the team actual talent gives the Broncos $34 million in Cap Space with FT D. Thomas. And this isn't just making stuff up as all of this is actually in the works right now with the Broncos so again how are the Broncos in Cap Hell?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Houston.

Franchise tags for DEs is about $3M more than DTs.... but That's also because Suh (arguably the best DT in the NFL) hasn't signed a deal.... I bet they will be pretty close. Both prob. get a 5 year $70M or so deal. Suh may take less to go sign with a winner, I don't see Houston changing his price at all considering pass rushers are such a premium (Suh can pass rush for sure but IMO edge rushers are a more hot commodity).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Denver in Cap Hell? The Broncos just FT D. Thomas and still have $15 million in Cap Space. They are working on a new contract with Peyton that would free up around $9 million in cap space. They are also working on a restructure with Ryan Clady that would free up about another $5 million. They also have about 4 players they can cut that don't really contribute to the team that frees up another $5 million and will most likely be gone from the team. So that right there with some easy moves that doesn't cost the team actual talent gives the Broncos $34 million in Cap Space with FT D. Thomas. And this isn't just making stuff up as all of this is actually in the works right now with the Broncos so again how are the Broncos in Cap Hell?

Ah didn't know some of that (the re-structures). And I don't know why I thought they were in such cap hell at the moment. I forgot Talib and Harris are super cheap in 2015... my bad.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah didn't know some of that (the re-structures). And I don't know why I thought they were in such cap hell at the moment. I forgot Talib and Harris are super cheap in 2015... my bad.

Its fine...I might be a bit sensitive on this as for the last 3 years people have been saying the Broncos are in Cap Hell after they signed Manning to his contract and what people don't realize is the Broncos actually have one of the best Cap guys in the business. They actually hired the guy that used to go through every contract that was turned into the NFL to approve or disapprove them so he above all others knows what a good contract and a bad contract looks like. It is why most every contract the Broncos have signed is essentially a year by year contract. They don't hand out big signing bonuses so they then don't have big dead money hits and have the freedom to cut a player at any point that they want without it hurting them. Now I will admit that this season they do have a bit more restrictions compared to last year where they went crazy signing guys like Ware, Talib, Ward, and Sanders but they still have as much freedom as they want. This could be the year you see them decide to take a couple of chances in giving out some signing bonuses to have a little lower cap hits and have the bigger cap hits hit when Manning retires after this season freeing up around $20 million in cap space.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Usually the problem with front-loading is there is eventually a holdout for more money- this hasn't happened in Denver, however. The pursuit of a ring keeps the troops in line I guess. Always have to have a carrot when it comes to the players.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually the problem with front-loading is there is eventually a holdout for more money- this hasn't happened in Denver, however. The pursuit of a ring keeps the troops in line I guess. Always have to have a carrot when it comes to the players.

It is true the Broncos have been blessed with players coming here because they want to compete for a Super Bowl more than it being about maximizing a contract. I think it also helps having John Elway at the helm as he knows what players want to hear and he knows how to convince them that taking a bit less for a real chance to shine is worth it in the long run especially with endorsements deals and such as a big part of his money is the fact that he got so many endorsements throughout his career.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think not franchising him increases Detroits chances to sign him to 6/115. He will get 100 million from somebody. Now that Detroit wont hold him for ransom for a year, keeping him from a big deal, their chances increase on keeping him unless he truly wants to leave.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh will get overpayed whereever he goes. He's a dirty player and after a big paycheck who knows how hard he works. Too much money for a single player that's not a Qb in my opinion.