• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions stigma: suck down the stretch

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lost 8 in a row two seasons ago, lost 7 of 9 to end last year.

Is Caldwell really going to change that, and if yes, how?

I got them going 5-11 for a reason. 15 losses in 17 second half games in the last two years with mostly all of the same players.

I don't think Caldwell can turn that around by more than a few games.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schedule is back end loaded this year so dont expect much improvement. We could lose 7 of the last 10. If we start worse than 4-2 you can forget having any chance at the playoffs. I think we will be between 7-9 and 9-7 plus or minus 1 game on either side. We are a better team then last year but with a more difficult schedule.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The schedule is back end loaded this year so dont expect much improvement. We could lose 7 of the last 10. If we start worse than 4-2 you can forget having any chance at the playoffs. I think we will be between 7-9 and 9-7 plus or minus 1 game on either side. We are a better team then last year but with a more difficult schedule.

The Lions haven't proven to evolve in the second half of the season once everyone has film on them either. That is a concern. Again, not sure Caldwell makes the major difference here. In fact, I don't see how he can. The talent on this team is awfully limited.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions haven't proven to evolve in the second half of the season once everyone has film on them either. That is a concern. Again, not sure Caldwell makes the major difference here. In fact, I don't see how he can. The talent on this team is awfully limited.

I think that is the result of Linehan not willing to come up with anything new. Lombardi does not have that problem. teams will be lucky to be able to figure anything we do on offense.

According to most non-lions fans we are one of the more talented teams in the league. CBs are the only weakness I see at this point. QB I am still on the fence about too. RTs not looking great, but they were decent last year.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is the result of Linehan not willing to come up with anything new. Lombardi does not have that problem. teams will be lucky to be able to figure anything we do on offense.

I hope you are right, and kind of agree. I however have zero hope for our defense.

According to most non-lions fans we are one of the more talented teams in the league. CBs are the only weakness I see at this point. QB I am still on the fence about too. RTs not looking great, but they were decent last year.

I remember when Fairley was considered part of that reasoning. On Madden 15, he's a 97, good enough for 4th best on the team.

I think I'm the only one expecting to see both our starting DT's win championships on other teams one day. :-(

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is completely backwards thinking... They haven't proven that they can turn it around in the second half? They haven't been able to prove that they can, this season did not start yet. A lot of their players are the same, but their coaches and coordinators are completely different. This roster has a lot more talent than many NFL teams. Joique Bell and Reggie Bush were the first duo to ever rush and receive for 500+ yards, they added Golden Tate with sure hands to help with the dropping problem, and they have a deep rotation on their defensive line. The secondary is still shaky, but every team in the NFL has holes. Name one that doesn't.

Don't give up on a team you call yourself a fan of before the season begins...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is completely backwards thinking... They haven't proven that they can turn it around in the second half? They haven't been able to prove that they can, this season did not start yet.

It's logical thinking. Mayhew has had a hand in personal for almost 15 years. The record (and many second half losses) speak for itself. New coach, same Lions.

A lot of their players are the same, but their coaches and coordinators are completely different.

Same old song and dance.

This roster has a lot more talent than many NFL teams.

Ya Tom LewAAnd said the same thing. Then all the coaches who were supposed to be in awe of our mighty talent told Mayhew to fuck off.

Joique Bell and Reggie Bush were the first duo to ever rush and receive for 500+ yards,

And yet the Lions still lost 7 of their last 9. My point.

they added Golden Tate with sure hands to help with the dropping problem, and they have a deep rotation on their defensive line.

Golden Tate isn't enough to turn around a team who's lost 17 or 19 second half of the season games the last 2 years.

The secondary is still shaky, but every team in the NFL has holes. Name one that doesn't.

Every team doesn't have a giant hole in one entire single unit like the Lions do with their corners every single year.

Don't give up on a team you call yourself a fan of before the season begins...

I'm probably the biggest fan here, certainly one of them, and most definitely more than the Mayhew lovers who suddenly expect something new and different from him THIS year after so many years of shitty seasons with him as our GM.

Real fans demand change. Fans who just keep supporting the same guy who keeps pumping out shitty year after shitty year aren't really Lions fans at all, they're Mayhew fans. You cheer for the logo, not the incompetent fuck behind it.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, how many fans here WANTED Mayhew to be GM after that 0-16 season?

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, how many fans here WANTED Mayhew to be GM after that 0-16 season?

I'd imagine a fair number didn't care who it was, as long as it wasn't Millen. Which is understandable. I thought it was silly to keep anyone from his regime. The problem, though, was that Millen was fired during the season, so a clean break wasn't immediately feasible. Mayhew was named interim GM for the rest of the season, and then WCF felt obliged to give him a shot.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The janitors and food vendors should have been fired after 0-16. Surely Mayhew also...

You'd think 0-16 would do the trick, and clean house. But not the Lions. Next man up applies to the front office as well apparently.

I'd imagine a fair number didn't care who it was, as long as it wasn't Millen. Which is understandable. I thought it was silly to keep anyone from his regime. The problem, though, was that Millen was fired during the season, so a clean break wasn't immediately feasible. Mayhew was named interim GM for the rest of the season, and then WCF felt obliged to give him a shot.

Obviously too kind.
God Bless his soul. RIP sir.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The VP usually has many of same thoughts as president regardless of party affiliation. Mayhew was guilty by association and should have been treated as such.

Ford is just as much to blame for the state of franchise as Mayhew is

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put it this way RobBase...

How much worse can the Lions be this season, having new OC/DC, than the past 5 years with Linehan and Gunther as coordinators and all that vanilla shit they threw out there every DAMN WEEK. People might want to realize Schwartz probably had Gunther's hands tied, regarding that shit-ass wide 9 and minimal blitzing. Gunther blitzed all the time while at KC whether he was DC or HC. Yes, I'm fully aware our DB's suck at times and that is one part of the equation for not blitzing much because they couldn't stay locked on for 3 seconds. Where was the development of our players ? Austin plans on running multiple looks/schemes, which is a HUGE PLUS, as will Lombardi. I expect a much more dynamic offense this year as Lombardi won't let Stafford get away with his, I'll go to CJ 1st read and even if he's triple covered I'll throw it to him anyways. Just like he started out in this last pre-season game.

I think it's unfair to do nothing but GUESS/Plan/EXPECT that this team, under new leadership, schemes, will wilt like teams from the past two years. Our D-Line is one of the strongest in the NFL. LB crew could be even better than last year, now that Whitehead has flashed high potential not to mention if VanNoy gets healthy. Our front seven is pretty damn good and having Mathis, Quin and Ihedigbo in the back 4 is nothing to look down upon. We've got some kids with promise who've yet to be GIVEN the proper Chance/REPS like Slay, Greenwood and now add Lawson and Couplin to that mix...

Last edited by a moderator:

FamineGod

Affectedly Disingenuous
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew has done a somewhat decent job turning a team that went 0-16 into a team that on paper should be a playoff team. The talent is there in some spots...just no depth.

I absolutely do fault him for the disastrous 2011 draft. I think that is a huge reason we are a 6-10 to 8-8 team right now. He reportedly didn't stick to his guns about players like Titus Young, and yielded to Schwartz to draft him.

I do think Schwartz was a good hire coming off the 0-16 season. I think he helped the team get a needed identity. It was a ticking time bomb, though, as he was unwilling to set some limits and hold people accountable. Mayhew didn't just stick with him, though, when it was obvious it was not going to work out. We'll see if Caldwell is the correct hire...I thought they should have backed up the Brinks truck for Bill O'Brien.

I'd grade his tenure as a low B/high C.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I give him an F. But don't worry, I feel the same way about Hoke. Want him fired. Felt the same about Rich Rod. Been a long time since we had decent football around here unless you're a Sparty fan.

FamineGod

Affectedly Disingenuous
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I give him an F. But don't worry, I feel the same way about Hoke. Want him fired. Felt the same about Rich Rod. Been a long time since we had decent football around here unless you're a Sparty fan.

I don't see how you can give him an F...whether it's Mayhew or Hoke. Both have done some good things...some bad things.

You aren't one of the Michigan fans that harps on the fact that Hoke doesn't wear a headset are you?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. What good things have they done? I've watched Sparty own MI and win the Big Ten under RR/Hoke while the Lions have a mere eight starters who were originally drafted by the team (7 drafted by Mayhew).

That's only one more than the league-worst Jaguars, Buccaneers and Bears (seven apiece), and none of those teams have had the same GM for as long as the Lions have had Mayhew, making it even worse.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. What good things have they done? I've watched Sparty own MI and win the Big Ten under RR/Hoke while the Lions have a mere eight starters who were originally drafted by the team (7 drafted by Mayhew).

That's only one more than the league-worst Jaguars, Buccaneers and Bears (seven apiece), and none of those teams have had the same GM for as long as the Lions have had Mayhew, making it even worse.

Now, since you always lump Mayhew with Millen does he get to use CJ has his own draftee?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many seem to be of the belief, the new coaching staff is going to change the culture of the team. what are the thoughts of those who believe this, when the Lions biggest struggles, penalties and turnovers, are the same issues they have had in their preseason games to this point?

I REALLY hope they are able to turn it around, as they have the talent to be a playoff team, IMO. I just want to scream when I see 26 penalties in the last two games and all the fumbles they have had.