• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions safety James Ihedigbo plans to hold out of offseason activities; wants new contract

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see both sides on this one.

He definitely outplayed his contract, and Isa Abdul-Quddus is now making more than him thanks to his new deal, so he seems to have a legit beef.

On the flip side he signed a contract, so the team can force him to honor that if they so chose.

Hopefully the two sides can compromise and find a number that makes both sides happy...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not really making less, it is just 500k of his money was paid in advance when he signed. I see the argument that 1.65 is not enough more then the 1.5 of IAQ, but I am tired of players getting the signing bonus and forgetting that it was paid.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What!? Has he seen the Lions logo on his helmet??? He should want to play for free here!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holding out of OTAs, LOL. Huge concern, pfffft...

Wake me up in July and if this is still going on then I will think about it.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahahahhahahaha

hes awful

what is he holding out for? a practice squad spot?

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the going rate for a 32 year old safety that hasn't played in a year or reports just in time to try and get his accrued year?

Tell his agent to fuck off and either play out the current contract and play well or he can report at the very last possible date during the season where he can sit the bench the remainder of the year. With all the accrued fines he gets he will get net nothing in 2015 and his next contract will be worse than his current one.

Roll with crazy name at S and see if his development continues. Fuck Ihegibo if he really wants to hold out because I bet he is looking for a big raise given the $ being paid out there

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahahahhahahaha

hes awful

what is he holding out for? a practice squad spot?
He was awful in your system, but has shined in Baltimore and in Detroit in a different system. He was ranked 19th at the position last year, which is far from awful. Pay attention, hey?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was awful in your system, but has shined in Baltimore and in Detroit in a different system. He was ranked 19th at the position last year, which is far from awful. Pay attention, hey?
he was awful in the jets system too

hes just...awful.

umass doesnt turn out NFL players regularly (especially defensive backs/safeties) for a reason.

i pay attention...i watched him get beaten like a 50 cent hooker regularly on 2 teams in my division.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the going rate for a 32 year old safety that hasn't played in a year or reports just in time to try and get his accrued year?

Tell his agent to fuck off and either play out the current contract and play well or he can report at the very last possible date during the season where he can sit the bench the remainder of the year. With all the accrued fines he gets he will get net nothing in 2015 and his next contract will be worse than his current one.

Roll with crazy name at S and see if his development continues. Fuck Ihegibo if he really wants to hold out because I bet he is looking for a big raise given the $ being paid out there

Doesn't sound like he's after a big raise, he just wants to make more than his back-up. It's a tricky spot, because he's absolutely outplayed his contract, and he's an integral part of our run defense, but he also signed a two year deal in the interest of job security...

Tricky spot for sure...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hes just...awful.

umass doesnt turn out NFL players regularly (especially defensive backs/safeties) for a reason.
Except for he's not awful, so not too sure what to tell you there. You're looking at years past, not the current player.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How does 19th deserve a new and bigger contract? Is the safety position lumped together between free and strong or viewed separately? If they are that's still not in the top quartile.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't sound like he's after a big raise, he just wants to make more than his back-up. It's a tricky spot, because he's absolutely outplayed his contract, and he's an integral part of our run defense, but he also signed a two year deal in the interest of job security...

Tricky spot for sure...

Where are you getting that info from?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does 19th deserve a new and bigger contract? Is the safety position lumped together between free and strong or viewed separately? If they are that's still not in the top quartile.
Lumped together. 19th out of 64 starting safeties is pretty damn good, no doubt he outplayed the contract.

I'm not saying he deserves a new deal though- he signed a 2 year contract after all.

There's no black-and-white on this one, this is purely gray area...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are you getting that info from?
I believe it was Mlive where I read that, but I'm not positive. They said a big part of why he is disgruntled is that IAQ's new deal pays him more than Ihedigbo is making.

It's not a direct quote from the player, though...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hes just...awful.

i pay attention...i watched him get beaten like a 50 cent hooker regularly on 2 teams in my division.

He was awesome playing behind Suh. But they all were. Now he's looking for that money grab before week 1 when exposure begins to creep in.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

me to the guy in the cube across the aisle..

"hey mike, did you hear james ihedigbo is holding out in detroit? (laughter)"

mike - "does he know hes james ihedigbo?"