• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions OFFICIAL 2015 NFL draft thread.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have had a tackle in the first round and looked later for a developmental guy for guard. I don't get trading for Ramirez and then taking a guard. Not a knock on Tomlinson he may have deserved the first round pick it just seems the Lions could have addressed multiple positions with the trade and pick.

Collins would have been the perfect pick to address the situation but that murder investigation seems to have the whole league spooked. Malcolm Brown could have solidified the defensive front. A CB or RB could have resolved multiple holes with solid players.

Ramirez may be the utility guy for guard and center but I still don't see why the Lions would not address multiple positions of need here.

I hope Tomlinson decides to stick with football and doesn't decide to pursue medical school, smart guy he may pull the plug quickly like the Vikings RB a few years ago.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else get a good laugh at the "Zach Mettenburger demands to be traded now" comments last night after the Titans took Mariota?

Dude was a 6th round pick. No one is trading for you, dumb ass.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.4M is owed in base salary. here's the scoop on the other 1.6M in incentives

Manny Ramirez New Contract Worth Up To 6 Million With Broncos - Over the Cap

Broncos’ Center Manny Ramirez signed a two year extension two days ago and we can now report the full numbers on the contract. Per a league source Ramirez’ contract is worth $3.15 million in base value with potential to earn an additional $2.85 million in incentives over the life of the contract.

Ramirez’ base salary remains intact in 2013 and he also received a $500,000 signing bonus. The signing bonus is the only portion of the contract that is guaranteed, though his salary for the current season is essentially guaranteed anyway. Ramirez now has a playtime incentive worth $250,000 in 2013. His base salary in 2014 will be $1.25 million and he can earn an additional $1 million in playtime incentives. In 2015 Ramirez’ base salary will be $1.4 million and the incentive rises to $1.6 million.

BB_72; so Ramirez can earn approx. a $100k in incentives per regular season game
And we don't even know what his incentives are.

LT was a starter for 4 years at Duke and imo could be ready to start game 1 if reports of his work ethic and intelligence are true. Maybe Ramirez plays as a backup or at the very least a starter at the beginning of season and backup later on. So maybe playing time is a part of those incentives. And the less he plays the less we pay. I won't flip out on the $1.6mil til the incentives are reported.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions got Manny to play center. It makes sense to put him there with LT on the left and Warford on the right side. Swanson is the one that has to earn his time here.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the fact we have road graders now, it looks like we will be more of a ground and pound run game. Nothing fancy and just plod ahead for 4 to 5 yards per carry. That means a guy like Zenner might suffice later on.
I like Zenner.

But I'm really hoping we trade up today anyway.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else get a good laugh at the "Zach Mettenburger demands to be traded now" comments last night after the Titans took Mariota?

Dude was a 6th round pick. No one is trading for you, dumb ass.

Yup, right up there with the Zac Stacy demands to be traded. Maybe someone will give them a 7th for either of these shmucks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we trade up early it would take our 2nd 3rd and 5th.
Five spots in the first cost Denver a fifth this year and next year. You think 15 spots in the second would be that much more expensive? If it would, I like Zenner more than I did yesterday.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the pick. Fir st of all, at least in recent history, Guards taken in the first round have been home runs. I'd rather have the top guard then the 6th best tackle. I love that we got Manny also. It's perfect, he has a fairly low salary. He is on the last year of his contract. He can play well at guard or center. Last year we had no depth on the o-line and the injuries hurt us bad. Whether or not Manny starts, I like having him there. I have this feeling he might beat out Swanson at center, at the very least it gives Travis one more year to develop. Now the big picture of our o-line is we have 2 guards with all-pro potential. We have a solid LT(I still like Reiff there, I don't see him moving). We have a solid proven center and our potential Center of the future(who played well at guard last year). We have Waddle who showed flashes of greatness, but has injury issues. We have NO DOM! I'd say our biggest weakness is now looking like a strength.

I would love to see them move and take La'el Collins. Everything Ive read so far about the death of his lady friend, possible baby mama, seems like he its a coincidence. The Aaron Hernandez story aside, it seems ridiculous he would have someone killed (he has an alibi at the time, so it would have to be murder for hire if he was involved) 6 days before youre about to be a millionaire, thus costing yourself millions. That being the case, draft him and have an awesome/young/deep offensive line for the future.

Drafting good offensive lineman doesnt make us a ground and pound team, it makes us a balanced team. It helps the defense, it helps the passsing game, it helps in the red zone, it helps close out games. Now if only we didnt have the slowest runningbacks in the NFL.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't flip out on the $1.6mil til the incentives are reported.

I wasn't flipping out on the incentives. I was merely trying to explain that the 3M cap hit isn't automatically a given and nothing more. If it came across that I was flipping out, then the assumption is incorrect.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Five spots in the first cost Denver a fifth this year and next year. You think 15 spots in the second would be that much more expensive? If it would, I like Zenner more than I did yesterday.

Not at all but the Lions would first, have to have some luck with finding who to trade with and second, being creative with a good deal.

I say two 5ths and maybe next years 3rd or 4th.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the pick. Fir st of all, at least in recent history, Guards taken in the first round have been home runs. I'd rather have the top guard then the 6th best tackle. I love that we got Manny also. It's perfect, he has a fairly low salary. He is on the last year of his contract. He can play well at guard or center. Last year we had no depth on the o-line and the injuries hurt us bad. Whether or not Manny starts, I like having him there. I have this feeling he might beat out Swanson at center, at the very least it gives Travis one more year to develop. Now the big picture of our o-line is we have 2 guards with all-pro potential. We have a solid LT(I still like Reiff there, I don't see him moving). We have a solid proven center and our potential Center of the future(who played well at guard last year). We have Waddle who showed flashes of greatness, but has injury issues. We have NO DOM! I'd say our biggest weakness is now looking like a strength.

I would love to see them move and take La'el Collins. Everything Ive read so far about the death of his lady friend, possible baby mama, seems like he its a coincidence. The Aaron Hernandez story aside, it seems ridiculous he would have someone killed (he has an alibi at the time, so it would have to be murder for hire if he was involved) 6 days before youre about to be a millionaire, thus costing yourself millions. That being the case, draft him and have an awesome/young/deep offensive line for the future.

Drafting good offensive lineman doesnt make us a ground and pound team, it makes us a balanced team. It helps the defense, it helps the passsing game, it helps in the red zone, it helps close out games. Now if only we didnt have the slowest runningbacks in the NFL.

I like this post but be easy about Collins. Second round is probably a bit risky.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im so confused why people are still stating that this team is a "ground and pound" team now that they want to improve up front. (Scratches head)

Are they not supposed to want to improve on the ground? Annnnnnnd....why should it matter I tjey win running it or passing it????

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im so confused why people are still stating that this team is a "ground and pound" team now that they want to improve up front. (Scratches head)

Are they not supposed to want to improve on the ground? Annnnnnnd....why should it matter I tjey win running it or passing it????

If you believe what multiple sites and experts say about Tomlinson he is a mauler and road grader. Not as athletic as guards in the zone blocking schemes. He has trouble getting to the second line of defenders.

Sounds like a guy that play well against the 4-3 and have troubles against the 3-4. Will not be helpful in pulling but will provide space at line of scrimmage. Sounds like a guy the Lions would want to help push the pile and dominate between the tackles.

If that is the case the Lions will be looking for a between the tackles type runner. That is unless they look for that change of pace guy. That between the tackles runner may already be on the team in Bell.

LT will help in pass pro but it looks like his strength is ground and pound.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't flipping out on the incentives. I was merely trying to explain that the 3M cap hit isn't automatically a given and nothing more. If it came across that I was flipping out, then the assumption is incorrect.
No, I was simply saying that I won't be. Didn't mean to imply you were. I guess since I quoted ur list it could seem that way. Mi culpa.